Chain Tensioner Change

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I have an upgraded chain tensioner coming in. Any thing I need to know about changing this out? Is it just unbolt the old one and bolt in the new unit?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Not quite that simple. You need to set the spring in the compressed, lock position, then install it in the car.
Check how loose the cam chain is on the tensioner side of the block. Then use a wooden paint stick, and a rubber hammer to "bump" the cam chain tensioner, and then it will release it from the locked position. Recheck how loose the cam chain is... if you were successful, there should be some spring tension on the cam chain.

The first time I did this, I didn't notice any extra tension on the cam chain, so I re-bumped it. Tested. Bumped it harder, tested. Couldn't notice any difference... so I took it out, and discovered I broke it. A screwdriver and hammer was too big of a bump. A paint stick worked on my 2nd tensioner, and I never could get the cam chain test to tell me it worked, so I drove it. It is fine.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes. Remove the valve cover, reach down near the chain tensioner with a screw driver, and see how much slack it has. You will want tension on the other side of the cam chain (so turn the crankshaft a bit clockwise). I wish I knew a better method.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Here's what ZZP does: LSJ timing change replacement. He doesn't use the "bump" method on the tensioner that other YouTubers use.
I wish Al would have mentioned that cylinder #4 is the one farthest from the cam chain, but this is a much better method of installing the cam chain tensioner. I've always said that cylinder #1 should be at Top Dead Center (TDC), but since #1 and #4 move together, both ways are correct.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Information only: TDC is on the compression stroke with both intake and exhaust valves closed. In the case of cylinder #1 being at TDC and cylinder #4 moving in unison, it is at the top of the exhaust stroke and the exhaust valves will be open. This is important to check when looking for TDC on the cylinder for all valves closed.