Chris’ 09 TC street machine (REGISTERED)

Christopher Sanchez

Hey guys, I have been on the forum for a little over a year and have been building my goblin over the past 3 months.. The purpose of this build for me is to have a high performance street “car” that can perform well in multiple settings.. I do not autocross (no tracks near by) but plan on traveling once the goblin is complete and give it a try. Ultimately this build will be a street and an occasional dragstrip toy... I have owned 2 turbocharged cobalts and really enjoyed the cheap performance they offered, so this kit made perfect sense for me. I commend all of you with detailed build logs it’s not easy or convenient!! I planned to do this also but between working 2 jobs, raising a 2 year old and just life in general that did not happen.. I snapped some photos along the way so thought I would share what I have..

Christopher Sanchez

July 17 2018
Removed the front bumper and fenders to give to a buddy who bought my old cobalt. His bumper was peeling and in poor shape.. it gave me a head start in tearing down my donor. It’s still nuts to thinks this engine is going to power my goblin!

Attachments

Christopher Sanchez

September 27-29 2018
Locked my keys in the car while at the Dallas fairgrounds with the kid, 150$ and 1 1/2 hour later we were on our way! We also ran into some issues with our uhaul reservations. All and all it was a very fun trip for all of us. The kit fit nicely into the trailer also had a desk I picked up from an estate sell in the front there.. My 5.3 L Tahoe didn’t like going above 75 as far as MPG goes.. ended up getting 11mpg at about 80ish. The powder coat color is Cadillac gray. I love it!

Attachments

Christopher Sanchez

November 1-2 2018
Took approx 12-14 hours to fully strip car. My garage was supposed to have been cleaned and organized before but life happens... I was to excited to wait. Only sketchy part was stacking 2x4 blocks 7-10 high so that my jack would lift the car up high enough to clear the engine and dolly.. success!

Attachments

Christopher Sanchez

November 1-8 2018
Prepping and painting parts, rough assembly of front suspension, floor pan and the dreaded wiring harness. Used rattle can truck bed liner and I instantly regretted it... same on my fuel tank... spilt some gas on it and it was destroyed... DONT DO IT!

Attachments

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Awesome stuff Christopher, glad to see you are well on your way! Have a projected completion date?

Christopher Sanchez

Awesome stuff Christopher, glad to see you are well on your way! Have a projected completion date?
Completed, “running driving” probably middle January however completed registered along with stage three is probably at least another couple of months away.. I have only purchased stages 1-2 thus far.

Christopher Sanchez

Most recent update brakes plumbed, need to be bled waiting on brake pads from AZ. Was surprised they were special order. I still hope the guy ordered the right ones.. it was hard to get across what I wanted since the guy apparently could not look up the pad number based off of the caliper part number... WTF?? After brakes I will need to plumb the intake tubes, steering column, shifter.. if anyone has some pictures of the intake cold side I would appreciate it.. It looks like you don’t have to extend the map sensor, and MAF but if someone can post some pictures I’d be thankful.

Attachments

Christopher Sanchez

Yes I was told that they had the same part number except one had an “A” after it and apparently one is for cars with 16in rims and the other for 15 in rims.. but are both front wheel calipers

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Yes I was told that they had the same part number except one had an “A” after it and apparently one is for cars with 16in rims and the other for 15 in rims.. but are both front wheel calipers
I may be wrong but I think both 15" and 16" fronts use the same pads. They are the same caliper also, the mounting bracket for the calipers are different for the 15" and 16".

Christopher Sanchez

I may be wrong but I think both 15" and 16" fronts use the same pads. They are the same caliper also, the mounting bracket for the calipers are different for the 15" and 16".
Good to hear, that’s what was eventually determined when I was ordering my brake pads, ultimately I ordered 4 sets of the same pads