Chris’s 2007 SS/SC track frame build for autocross

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Got to test out the Goblin weekend before last just had a chance to upload July 4 2021 in the goblin. This was to test some suspension and steering adjustments. I cracked the waste gate open 1/2" just to run the car momentum only and still waiting on getting a local dyno tune to make sure I'm running safe at full power. Even with the loose rear over bumps and lack of power I was still only .5 seconds behind our fastest local EM competitor in the Fiat. Video Here : Goblin Easter run

I headed out to Verona Va this past weekend and took the c5 z06, the Goblin is scheduled to get a Dyno tune at the end of June. Took 1st place in Cam-s, 2nd overall, 2nd place Pax and managed to outrun all the fancy new C-8 corvettes. This course was super tight and would have probably favored the Goblin much more than the corvette. The corvette did good, I don't consider it to be a fully prepped Cam-s car so getting beat by a miata piloted by Tim Aro is acceptable. The Yokohama a052 tires are amazing ! Video Here : C5z06 BRRSCCA RUN

Attachments

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Got to test out the Goblin weekend before last just had a chance to upload July 4 2021 in the goblin. This was to test some suspension and steering adjustments. I cracked the waste gate open 1/2" just to run the car momentum only and still waiting on getting a local dyno tune to make sure I'm running safe at full power. Even with the loose rear over bumps and lack of power I was still only .5 seconds behind our fastest local EM competitor in the Fiat. Video Here : Goblin Easter run

I headed out to Verona Va this past weekend and took the c5 z06, the Goblin is scheduled to get a Dyno tune at the end of June. Took 1st place in Cam-s, 2nd overall, 2nd place Pax and managed to outrun all the fancy new C-8 corvettes. This course was super tight and would have probably favored the Goblin much more than the corvette. The corvette did good, I don't consider it to be a fully prepped Cam-s car so getting beat by a miata piloted by Tim Aro is acceptable. The Yokohama a052 tires are amazing ! Video Here : C5z06 BRRSCCA RUN
Good videos!!!
Chris, you gotta start posting some more of those!!

ccannx

Goblin Guru
The goblin has been underwhelming after swapping the block and putting in the stage 2 turbo lsj cams and valvesprings. Upgraded to the ZFR 6758 turbo because the k04 was falling on its face around 5k rpm and goal is a good solid acceleration to 8k.

Part of the change was to install the Ottp intake manifold and a small water to air straight through plumbed into the existing water to air coolant loop. IAT2s dropped from 150 to around 100 with 90 ambient.

Got the wastegate duty turned up to 30 on the gfab2 ebc where the k04 was at 65 and its already outperforming the k04. Holding target boost all the way 7600 and I haven't turned the sensitivity up. The ZFR is of a different lineage.

Welded a couple tabs to get the coolant tank clear of the charge loop to the throttlebody. Tapped one with an m6 1.0 thread pitch to secure with a starnut.

Attachments

Last edited:

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I have an ebay cheap ls4 throttle body and tried to run it by changing the scaler area but it kept going into reduced engine power for no apparent reason from the data logs . Put the lsj throttle body on and it had no issues at all. I cut corners and used a cheap 3inch id diameter silicon tube from autozone and it popped off on a run when I was turning up the duty cycle and was not able to take the pressure.

I want to attach a copy of my last VCM scan to get some feedback on adjusting the MAF. Also ordered a 3bar map to try to get the VE tuned in addition to the Maf values but know that's going to be more involved. I think there is an area in HP tuners to rescale the maf by voltage output. I recall a tuning thread on here somewhere for HP tuners there is also a group on facebook that may be helpful to bounce questions to.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I have an ebay cheap ls4 throttle body and tried to run it by changing the scaler area but it kept going into reduced engine power for no apparent reason from the data logs . Put the lsj throttle body on and it had no issues at all. I cut corners and used a cheap 3inch id diameter silicon tube from autozone and it popped off on a run when I was turning up the duty cycle and was not able to take the pressure.

I want to attach a copy of my last VCM scan to get some feedback on adjusting the MAF. Also ordered a 3bar map to try to get the VE tuned in addition to the Maf values but know that's going to be more involved. I think there is an area in HP tuners to rescale the maf by voltage output. I recall a tuning thread on here somewhere for HP tuners there is also a group on facebook that may be helpful to bounce questions to.
There's a whole sub-forum dedicated to tuning.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Definitely need to figure out how to get more grip in the rear. Cannot turn the ZFR past 20 psi because it tries to spin the Avon slicks loose at 7800 rpm in 2nd. I see why dynos are so important for tuning now. There is no way I am going to do a 3 or 4th gear redline pull to scan my MAF/map curves under load on these tiny little country roads. Redline is set at 7750 and car is cutting on and off so that may be what felt like wheelspin. Might be able to get boost to drop a little bit up in high rpm by lowering the sensitivity on the electronic boost controller.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Lowering the sensitivity of what?
Yeah, I am still modifying my car to get more rear traction. The opposite issue SmsDetroit was having.
Using the gfab2 electronic boost controller to program how the boost comes in. Sensitivity setting will attempt to hold boost at the target level by adjusting the wastegate duty cycle.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Updated the fuel to a Boost reference system. Mounted an 8 gal fuel cell where the passenger seat would be to balance weight left to right. Feeding an inline pump from the bottom sump then to the fuel filter. From there the return is intercepted by the boost reference system which keeps the fuel pressure up by what I assume is limiting return flow to the tank. A vacuum hose attachment on the intake manifold gives the reference. The return is plumbed into the top of the tank and the other AN line has a check valve that closes if the car rolls then goes to the intake cone connected with a bulkhead to 6 AN fitting.

Still seem to be having issues with fuel pressure loss at high RPM and ordered an new fuel filter I may pull the rail and send the injectors off just to make sure they haven't gotten dirt/junk in them somehow.. attached a video of the pressure changing at the rail.

Boost Reference test video

Attachments

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
When you say loosing fuel pressure, are you talking about actual rail pressure or AFR going lean? Sorry I haven’t read back through all of the post and just jumped in here. Looked like you had good pressure there. You may consider a new fuel pump. We had to replace it twice in two years before everything was good.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
When you say loosing fuel pressure, are you talking about actual rail pressure or AFR going lean? Sorry I haven’t read back through all of the post and just jumped in here. Looked like you had good pressure there. You may consider a new fuel pump. We had to replace it twice in two years before everything was good.
The AFR's are going lean while Inj Duty cycle is following the Maf curve. I'm not sure how much the pressure should change at the rail but I guess if the reference is 20psi shouldn't the rail pressure also go up 20 psi ?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The AFR's are going lean while Inj Duty cycle is following the Maf curve. I'm not sure how much the pressure should change at the rail but I guess if the reference is 20psi shouldn't the rail pressure also go up 20 psi ?
Yes, the fuel pressure should proportional with the boost. It looks like your is working correctly from what I can tell from the video.

What base pressure are you set to at idle?

Do you know the duty cycle of the injectors at high boost? Logged with HP Tuners.

PaulPerger

The base pressure is set at 43.5 PSI with the reference line disconnected. Duty cycle is around 56.2 at 22psi and 6200rpm. There is still plenty of fuel that can be added but I'm not thrilled about how jagged the AFR lines look.

Attached is a log of it running lean.
While looking at this post, my daughter Zelda asked what I was looking at. I said, "Someone isn't happy with the way his car running." (She's 5, so simple explanations work best.)
Zelda: "What's that picture? Can I see it?"
I open the photo of the gauge...
Zelda: "Well, there's the problem! That thing is full of water! She needs to fix that."

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The base pressure is set at 43.5 PSI with the reference line disconnected. Duty cycle is around 56.2 at 22psi and 6200rpm. There is still plenty of fuel that can be added but I'm not thrilled about how jagged the AFR lines look.

Attached is a log of it running lean.
At first I suspected your wideband as the O2 is not reporting that lean at this very instant but upon further thought, I don't think the O2 is responding as fast as the wideband because it is showing leaner AFR during the period of the ripple in the wideband AFR. The ECM is commanding 12 and it was getting it for a moment and then looks like it struggles to get enough fuel, but only very brief pulses.

I can't remember, did you put new fuel filters on it? Does the TC have the ability to monitor the fuel pressure, the SC doesn't?

50% duty cycle I shouldn't be out of range for the injectors. At least it's not going lean and staying lean, which would be very bad.

Maybe it's the difference between your log file and my configuration, but there are NO long term fuel trims (LTFT). Any reason why?

Your wideband AFR are all over the place. Those should be more close to the commanded, that's when you know you have a good tune.

This is an example from our tune. Not that it's perfect, but it's about as close as resonable.

This is your WB. A lot of this could be from needing a good VE tune and allow the LTFT to correct from there.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I will say one thing, your IAT2 temps are great! God job on the intercooler set up. Four degrees over ambient, how is that even possible?! Maybe I just don't know the TC.

Upon further inspection, the injector pulse stays constant at around 7.5-7.6ms, yet the AFR jumps all over. The ECM is telling the injectors to spray a lot, but they are either not delivering, running out of fuel, or there is something wrong with the wideband.

You might try another wideband, ours was working fine one day and not the next. They don't like to be dropped, run too rich, or without the heater. I think we ran ours without turning on the heater and fouled it.

You should send off the injectors and have them flow tested and cleaned. This is a must and great insurance. I did this with our fairly new injectors just to get data on them and make sure the fuel pump that self-destructed didn't clog them.

After that, work on getting a good base tune, especially the VE tables and get the LTFT back.

Last edited:

kalishek

On the 999 SuperSport Mk2 LNF 2.0L engine build Jackson used the larger Opel flex fuel direct injectors and ZZP big fuel lobe cam plus ZZP Borg Warner EFR turbo kit. Ace-in-the-hole however, was Life Racing ECU and MP 109 racing fuel which netted 450 rwhp at 32 lbs boost. The ECU also has a secondary map when running 93 octane pump gas which pulls boost pressure and timing for 340 rwhp.
KAL

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
On the 999 SuperSport Mk2 LNF 2.0L engine build Jackson used the larger Opel flex fuel direct injectors and ZZP big fuel lobe cam plus ZZP Borg Warner EFR turbo kit. Ace-in-the-hole however, was Life Racing ECU and MP 109 racing fuel which netted 450 rwhp at 32 lbs boost. The ECU also has a secondary map when running 93 octane pump gas which pulls boost pressure and timing for 340 rwhp.
KAL
That is a massive jump in power. Holy smokes!