Chris_WNC's Track Frame #338 '09 LT Auto. REGISTERED in NC.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
You will want to get that brake reservoir and master cylinder from the engine compartment. Unless you are doing a custom version.

Chris_WNC

@JBINTX Got them. I ran out of time and interest the other day. :D

Today's progress. Nice pile of stuff. That wiring pile is intimidating. Yikes.

This thing is gutted!

I'd like to thank my friends for all their help. You guys are MVPs.

Now on to some shady stuff. Before any harsh comments, just know that I had my safety glasses on.:cool:
I put the forks on the tractor and lifted this piece up. I grabbed it a little far forward and had to add some ballast to the hood.

100% safely loaded and strapped down to my lawn mower trailer. I gave it the old "this isn't going anywhere" on all straps to ensure I had a safe trip to the laser shop.

It worked! The VFD is across the street. They have training scheduled on the 14th and will be able to use this shell.

And finally, my fantastic collection of parts and trash on the concrete pad. I put the stuff from my first photo in this set onto my trailer and parked it under the first tan tent. It'll keep rain and dew off of the parts until I get a chance to work on them some.

CHRIS

Scott #321

Don't be too intimidated by the wiring harness. DF has a great instructional video just take your time and go one step at a time.

Chris_WNC

I’m trying to decide if I install this known working, but old, drive train to get things running or just go all in on the turbo and new long block.

I’ll work on cleaning the donor’s drive train toward the end of the week and give it a good inspection. I have to make some room at work so I can haul it in.

CHRIS

jayrolls

I’m trying to decide if I install this known working, but old, drive train to get things running or just go all in on the turbo and new long block.

I’ll work on cleaning the donor’s drive train toward the end of the week and give it a good inspection. I have to make some room at work so I can haul it in.

CHRIS
I had planned on using my donor power train as a whole. While sand blasting the tape pulled and I got some sand in the intake port. Figured no big deal, pull the head vacuum if any got in. Short of it I found the #2 piston wall was rusted and things didn’t look good. I ordered ZZP’s Gen 3 LSJ short block. Just because there was no long block options. Took the head to a local shop and had cleaned up and cams polished.

I would say pull the valve cover and the head, see what your working with. The head shop I went too was very reasonably priced. Charged $200 to go through the entire head. Came back looking brand new. I’m in favor of saving money if you can. But at the same time, brand new should equal less problems.

Chris_WNC

I got a few emails from DFKC International Headquarters this week. Confirming order details, giving shipping estimate, and sending final invoice. Things are about to get real...real soon. :D

I haven't done much with my donor parts. I loaded up the drive train today and brought it to our rental. I wanted to strip the wires and give it an initial de-greasing. Our gas powered pressure washer is buried deep in my storage container so I stopped by Lowe's and bought a cute little electric pressure washer for like $80. That thing is awesome! It's about the size of a big lunch box or very small beer cooler and did a pretty good job of getting the thick grease and wire loom carcass off of there.

The rear transmission mount on this thing was shot. Rubber was barely there.

Lower control arm bushings were in the same condition. And I have these ugly ones instead of the bright shiny aluminum ones that a lot of you guys have. I'm not sure if gray Steel-it is going to pretty these things up or not. lol.

CHRIS

Chris_WNC

Oh, the VFD guys were thrilled to get the chassis shell. The Chief said it was in too good of shape to just chop up so they are taking it to the county training facility to do live burn training with it. We loaded it and a bunch of pallets up for them to burn.

I asked them to bring the wheels/tires back but that chassis is no longer my problem. :D
CHRIS

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
A new set of aluminum control arms is fairly inexpensive. I ordered a set after seeing my donor's steel ones were a bit tweaked. As for the transmission mount, I got replacement bushings from prothane because at the time, DF solid mounts were only available for SS donors. I don't know if that has changed.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Starting Jan 1, 2021, all kits now include brake pads, full sets of braided brake hoses and solid transmission mounts. You no longer have to upgrade to get the braided hoses and solid mounts.
Looks like it. Pretty sure I've read elsewhere that they have base model solid mounts as well.

Chris_WNC

Sweet on the solid mounts!

I did some engine work today. Took the LAP head off of the donor. Cleaned it up a little and installed it on the LDK short block. I did all the timing stuff this afternoon too. That was a completely new thing for me. I was really nervous but just decided to send it and got it done.

These beautiful caramel coated cams were waiting for me under the valve cover of the donor. I have a ported head with stage 2 turbo cams and stronger springs from Skunkworks sitting on the shelf for later on. I'm going to try to get everything running with this donor head right now.

There was a little tick tick tick noise that I heard when I was driving the donor around. I think I found what was causing it. It split apart when I took the hardware off.

Head removed. This thing was pretty clean. :cool:

My tool bags blowed up! I'm working out of those bags moving between three locations currently. It's a mess. lol.

And what I still have to work with. Need to strip and clean a few more things and get them ready to install on the other block.

That's all for now.
CHRIS

Chris_WNC

I pulled the auto trans from the donor engine today and took care of the cooler bypass.

I pulled the CV axles. They look weathered but all seals seem fine. This little black piece was torn/broken/missing on one side of the transaxle. Is there an easy fix for this?

I added more parts to my other engine. It's starting to look like something now. :)

The head was primed and the long block was painted with one of the engine colors that Advance Auto had in stock. I thought the gray was going to be more silver but it turned out to be darker. I like it.

I'm going to clean up the trans and get it painted with the same engine paint. I hope to have the engine and trans married together by the weekend.
CHRIS

Chris_WNC

Could one of you gurus help a fella out? I've got some VAC hose routing questions.

1. This larger connector below the throttle body is for brake vacuum, correct?

2. What will this smaller connector above the throttle body be used for? I think it went to the purge valve that was OEM.

3. I need to route a hose from this crankcase vent over to the turbo, correct? I swapped heads and the vent is on the wrong side now. Blurry and in the background is the hose that ZZP had connected to the other head crankcase.

4. On the turbo. What connects here?
4a. The tan (BPV?) on the lower left.
4b. The hose connector on the left side of the black box front and center.
4c. What wiring connects to this black box?
4d. In the background behind the "flex technologies" tube, that is the hose I was talking about in #3 above. This goes to the crankcase vent, correct?

5. Lastly for this post...what type of oil sensor is this on the oil pan under the starter? What should plug into it? My donor doesn't have that at all

I guess for reference and a reminder; I have an LDK/turbo crate engine that I'm swapping over to port injection. That's why my components are all over the place.

CHRIS

Chris_WNC

I'm gathering that the black box in #4 is the bypass valve solenoid. If I'm going with a manual boost controller I can get rid of that, correct?

CHRIS