Clutch problem?

Stretch2126

I’m not entirely sure where this leak is from but after the first drive the clutch started to have a mind of its own. Now I found a leak underneath the car but I can’t seem to find an exact spot. Any ideas?

image.jpg

I know the photo isn’t great but that’s the only drop spot and the clutch will not pump back up. It stays stuck to the floor.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
May be the slave cylinder over extended or the pipe inside the transmission housing leaking or the elbow/fitting is leaking into the housing? That small drip may be an indicator of a puddle inside the housing.

Stretch2126

May be the slave cylinder over extended or the pipe inside the transmission housing leaking or the elbow/fitting is leaking into the housing? That small drip may be an indicator of a puddle inside the housing.
Yeah I was hoping it was just the elbow but it looks dry. I can hear it when I hit the pedal, but I can’t look and press at the same time right now. I’m searching some cobalt forums at the moment

Stretch2126

So after reading I think I may have hurt the slave cylinder/ Throwout bearing by trying to bleed it too fast. The top elbow is dry and it seems to only leak out of the bottom.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
When my elbow was leaking from having 2 o-rings there was no real visible sign of a leak on it. Even using a pressure bleeder holding pressure on it didn’t make it apparent.

Stretch2126

When my elbow was leaking from having 2 o-rings there was no real visible sign of a leak on it. Even using a pressure bleeder holding pressure on it didn’t make it apparent.
I’ll check the elbow again just to make sure but it worked for about 15 minutes then the clutch started failing. It only had that top cap last time. It’s a different elbow so I may try the stock one to see if it changes anything.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Just make sure you don’t have an o-ring on the pipe end and one in the elbow at the same time.

it could be a failed slave cylinder but I had mine in and out several times before I found the second o-ring

Chubbs

When my slave cylinder went bad, it was a BIG leak. Fluid gushed all over the ground anytime I pushed the clutch in. I can't say for sure that yours isn't a slave cylinder, but the mode of failure certainly isn't the same as when mine failed.

It also looked like from your picture there were actually two drips, at different locations. One at the bottom of the trans, and one a little higher up. To me, that indicates the fluid might be from outside the transmission. Probably up top at that elbow fitting.

I would just replace that elbow, if you can reach it. Dropping the entire engine and trans assembly, and splitting the trans and engine sure stinks. I've been there. If you know what you're doing, it's probably at least a 4-Hour job.

Stretch2126

When my slave cylinder went bad, it was a BIG leak. Fluid gushed all over the ground anytime I pushed the clutch in. I can't say for sure that yours isn't a slave cylinder, but the mode of failure certainly isn't the same as when mine failed.

It also looked like from your picture there were actually two drips, at different locations. One at the bottom of the trans, and one a little higher up. To me, that indicates the fluid might be from outside the transmission. Probably up top at that elbow fitting.

I would just replace that elbow, if you can reach it. Dropping the entire engine and trans assembly, and splitting the trans and engine sure stinks. I've been there. If you know what you're doing, it's probably at least a 4-Hour job.
If like to say it was the elbow but I changed it with another spare one and it still leaked. I triple checked it but I think it was the Throwout. Ones on the way with a new clutch pipe as well. The moment my clutch gave out I shut the car off because I was in reverse and it wouldn’t let me out. It flung oil up through the whole in the bell housing