Clutch Recommendations

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
What is a good clutch for 2009 ss turbo , I don’t intend use car at race track , Just messing around with the power when I want to play around some.
So if you could let me know what y’all ended up using and where you bought it from I would greatly appreciate.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
If you aren’t increasing the HP by a lot I don’t see why you wouldn’t go with the OEM clutch. The goblin is so much lighter that I believe it relieves stress on transmission parts.

But I bought a South bend stage 3 for mine. Exedy is probably fine too and they’re cheaper.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
If you aren’t increasing the HP by a lot I don’t see why you wouldn’t go with the OEM clutch. The goblin is so much lighter that I believe it relieves stress on transmission parts.

But I bought a South bend stage 3 for mine. Exedy is probably fine too and they’re cheaper.
Thank you very much I will look into that

Ross

Goblin Guru
I bought the GMPP (GM performance products) clutch from ZZP and resurfaced the stock flywheel at O'Reilly automotive. The clutch is good for 300hp in a heavier Cobalt.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I found this clutch kit, they're known for making diesel truck clutches from my limited research, so I figured they'd be sufficient for a kit car. Cost $332.59.

I've never heard of them before so we'll see if my transmission explodes or not later on.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I found this clutch kit, they're known for making diesel truck clutches from my limited research, so I figured they'd be sufficient for a kit car. Cost $332.59.

I've never heard of them before so we'll see if my transmission explodes or not later on.
That doesn’t come with the fly wheel does it. I can get my fly wheel resurfaced for 12 dollars at O’Reilly , Thanks to Ross suggestions

Last edited:

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I bought the GMPP (GM performance products) clutch from ZZP and resurfaced the stock flywheel at O'Reilly automotive. The clutch is good for 300hp in a heavier Cobalt.
I didn’t know you could resurface the fly wheel , Thank you

Ross

Goblin Guru
I didn’t know you could resurface the fly wheel , Thank you
I wanted to keep the stock feel of the clutch, to make it easy to drive. The heavy flywheel, and organic clutch plates will do that. The performance puck clutches tend to be grabby, and require more skill to drive.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I wanted to keep the stock feel of the clutch, to make it easy to drive. The heavy flywheel, and organic clutch plates will do that. The performance puck clutches tend to be grabby, and require more skill to drive.
I just called my O’Reileys and they charge 12 Dollars to resurface fly wheel , Thank you for the tip, I had brake drums done in the old days

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
That doesn’t come with the fly wheel does it. I can get my fly wheel resurfaced for 12 dollars at O’Reilly , Thanks to Ross suggestions
Just the clutch pressure plate and bearing I think. I'm resurfacing my flywheel too.

Last edited:

bradr

I was planning on putting a stock clutch in my 2010 SS/TC. Can anyone verify that the GM part number (GM 24239996)? I gather this should be a new pressure plate and clutch for <$200.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Just the clutch pressure plate and bearing I think. I'm resurfacing my flywheel too.
I just ordered the same clutch as you. I bought a flywheel off eBay , They tried to resurface mine but the girl who had car road clutch to much and had to many burnt spots, Didn’t want it to chatter on me. Have you heard any thing from Adam about are Goblins

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I just ordered the same clutch as you. I bought a flywheel off eBay , They tried to resurface mine but the girl who had car road clutch to much and had to many burnt spots, Didn’t want it to chatter on me. Have you heard any thing from Adam about are Goblins
Nothing new since our last chat :'(

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I'm starting to second guess this now as I find out that the stage 4 is a 6 puck and DD would be different.... I've also read a lot of people running over 350 HP on the gmpp clutch without any issues....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Nuker-

George

Goblin Guru
I am running a 4 puck disc. The reason is it weights less. With a 8000rpm red line it makes the shift much easier.
A stock disc spinning 8000rpm puts a lot of load on the transmission synchros. It is a little grabby on takeoff.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
I am running a 4 puck disc. The reason is it weights less. With a 8000rpm red line it makes the shift much easier.
A stock disc spinning 8000rpm puts a lot of load on the transmission synchros. It is a little grabby on takeoff.

Brad
Forgot to say on the four puck chage pads from metal to kevlar and the center has no springs