Clutch switch

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Does the clutch switch wiring have a fuse that can be checked, I rigged up a push button start but I still would rather the key switch worked.
Any suggestions , I might have shorted the switch wiring out when I tried to hot wire it to get it to work.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I doubt it. There is no reason to design a safety fuse on that input.
Do you have any idea what I might check, It all worked great until I changed the PCM and it wouldn’t work I did the key relearn thing and got the theft light to turn off but still wouldn’t work. Even when I put the old PCM back it to try and crank. So I come up with the great idea to try and jump clutch switch to get it to work. I probably shorted something out.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
On your car, it’s not actually a switch, it’s a potentiometer (variable resistor). Typically one side will be tied high, say 5V, and the other side tied to signal ground. And the middle, the wiper, connected to the input. If you are shorting things, it’s hard to tell for sure if you have damaged anything without knowing for sure what you did and how the PWB is designed. But it’s never a good idea to direct short anything without knowing for sure. Using a current limiting resistor to “short” might have been a safer bet.

My car does actually have a switch (07 SS/SC) so it hard for me to be able to test values and help you. If the TECH2 can read the values and they are within specs, that would tell you if it’s okay.

Otherwise, you could read the values of all three wires during the different clutch positions and post them and maybe someone with the same car can compare them to their known good values. That would tell us a lot.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Wow ! thank you , Guess I’ll just stick with the push button start.
I’m still unclear how the push button start is bypassing the clutch switch. The push button should basically emulate the key switch and really shouldn’t be any different. They both send a specific command to start and the ECM/BCM do the checking of the clutch and brakes to make sure it’s safe to start.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Does the clutch switch wiring have a fuse that can be checked, I rigged up a push button start but I still would rather the key switch worked.
Any suggestions , I might have shorted the switch wiring out when I tried to hot wire it to get it to work.
I would be VERY careful with a push-button start. If it;s a manual trans and you hit the starter from out of the car while it's in gear it will not be pretty. "Speaking from experience"

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I’m still unclear how the push button start is bypassing the clutch switch. The push button should basically emulate the key switch and really shouldn’t be any different. They both send a specific command to start and the ECM/BCM do the checking of the clutch and brakes to make sure it’s safe to start.
I hooked it straight to the starter instead of using a screw driver to jump starter , I just wired up a push button on the 2 terminals

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I would be VERY careful with a push-button start. If it;s a manual trans and you hit the starter from out of the car while it's in gear it will not be pretty. "Speaking from experience"
I drive truck for a living and I learned a long time ago not to leave a manual in gear :D unless the clutch goes out then leave in gear to get rolling using starter, then float the gears without clutch. That’s how we get about 700,000 miles out of a tractor trailers clutch ,we just use clutch to start off

Hey @Zoom Zoom have you ever been able to start with the key switch? I am assuming no, which might be the reason you went with the push button start jumper band-aid.

If you were able to start it with the key at one point, what changed that made it stop working, what prompted you to change the PCM?

Are you just guessing this is a clutch switch issue or you know for sure?

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Hey @Zoom Zoom have you ever been able to start with the key switch? I am assuming no, which might be the reason you went with the push button start jumper band-aid.

If you were able to start it with the key at one point, what changed that made it stop working, what prompted you to change the PCM?

Are you just guessing this is a clutch switch issue or you know for sure?
I changed PCM because mine was locked so I couldn’t do a remote tune with ZZP. When I installed the new PCM the key switch wouldn’t work . I did the relearn and got the car theft light to turn off.

I even put the old PCM back in and it still wouldn’t work but that was after I tried to jumpstart clutch switch- I might have shorted the switch out, I don’t know why it want turn over with key.

I wouldn't mind driving up to help you with this. I would love to see your goblin and ask you a million questions. :cool:

I have an 08 2.2 I am assuming the switches are the same, I can bring it with me to test.

I am concerned about your "shorted the clutch switch" not clear what you did. Hopefully there is no damage to any circuits.

According to the post below you might need to relearn the switch. I have a VXDiag I can bring with me as well.

JPas914

Have you looked at doing a clutch pedal sensor relearn, as djclueless mentioned? It’s a quick process, but needs the Tech2 software, or possibly the VXDiag can do it.

My car wouldn’t crank with the key because it didn’t ‘know’ the voltage signals that corresponded to the up/down positions of the pedal.

We got it fixed :)

(clutch relearn via vxnano/tech2win and a bad relay)

Nice meeting you today @Zoom Zoom, seeing your car today has me really excited about this build. Can't wait until my kit ships :)

Let me know if you need help with anything else.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
We got it fixed :)

(clutch relearn via vxnano/tech2win and a bad relay)

Nice meeting you today @Zoom Zoom, seeing your car today has me really excited about this build. Can't wait until my kit ships :)

Let me know if you need help with anything else.
Now I can use my key Ignition again instead of my push button start. :D
Thank you very much for all your help today DJ , I‘m glad you figured it out you are the man :D
You and your neighbor and son are a lot of fun to talk to .