Common 9” Spring Rates

KLMOTORSPORTS

Going to get a selection of 9” coil over springs and want to see what most are running that do Autocross with their Goblin...I believe 300-400 pound rates are most common, but want to verify before purchasing. I am running BC Racing struts in back and QA1’s in the front.

Would appreciate your thoughts....thanks!

Ken

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I would review George's post on springs and suspension. He been doing quite a bit of experimenting/testing which I think gives you a great place to start.

I followed his recommendation on running 600in/lbs in the front. It has changed the car for autocrossing, decreasing front dive and body roll.
The rear I'm still using the stock springs and struts and added the SS sway bar back in. These two decreased body roll dramatically and corner entry and mid-corner understeer.
Although the SS sway bar felt a little too stout and just yesterday swapped out to a base model sway bar to test out. 24mm vs 18mm.

KLMOTORSPORTS

I would review George's post on springs and suspension. He been doing quite a bit of experimenting/testing which I think gives you a great place to start.

I followed his recommendation on running 600in/lbs in the front. It has changed the car for autocrossing, decreasing front dive and body roll.
The rear I'm still using the stock springs and struts and added the SS sway bar back in. These two decreased body roll dramatically and corner entry and mid-corner understeer.
Although the SS sway bar felt a little too stout and just yesterday swapped out to a base model sway bar to test out. 24mm vs 18mm.
Awesome...will do...thanks for the info!

Ken

KLMOTORSPORTS

Going to start with 500 front and 300 rear w/stock sway bar on back...starting point anyway from some of the stuff I read from the Autocross guys on here

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Do you already have 500's ? I have some and used them once planning on going a different route. I have 2-300's 2x400's and 2x500's if anyone wants them I will ship them for 50 a set. No point in having them sit around if im not going to use them. All QA9HT-xxx still powdercoat grey

KLMOTORSPORTS

Do you already have 500's ? I have some and used them once planning on going a different route. I have 2-300's 2x400's and 2x500's if anyone wants them I will ship them for 50 a set. No point in having them sit around if im not going to use them. All QA9HT-xxx still powdercoat grey
Can you post a pic of them...think I will take them all!

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Can you post a pic of them...think I will take them all!
I will go run out to the garage and snap a pic. The 300’s are on all 4 corners of the car but I’m replacing one set of them with variable rates so I don’t need all 4 just 2.

Attachments

Last edited:

KLMOTORSPORTS

So has anyone scaled out their car and used different spring rates on the corners based on L-R weight balance (or F-R for that matter)? Or added ballast to scale the car out? Thinking Autocross here...

George

Goblin Guru
I was able to balance mine without adding weight. Make sure the swaybar is disconnected. The reconnect so that is neutral when done with drive. May need to make one end adjustable.
Brad

ccannx

Goblin Guru
So has anyone scaled out their car and used different spring rates on the corners based on L-R weight balance (or F-R for that matter)? Or added ballast to scale the car out? Thinking Autocross here...
We are in the same boat. I believe George has gotten the furthest with this so far. I started a thread here : http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/suspension-and-spring-rates.1485/

I have very little knowledge about suspension but trying to learn and share what I know and read. I've been told to run super high spring rates and I've been told to basically run the car on bumpstops so I don't know who to believe anymore.

I'm aiming at finishing the car and then using 1/4 plate or thicker if needed at the front anywhere on the floor-pan of the car to get up to the 1700lb emod weight as needed looking about 50-70lbs to add to meet weight requirements for class.

Attachments

Last edited:

KLMOTORSPORTS

I will go run out to the garage and snap a pic. The 300’s are on all 4 corners of the car but I’m replacing one set of them with variable rates so I don’t need all 4 just 2.
I’ll take all 6 springs (pair of 300, 400, and 500) for 150 shipped...please IM me your PayPal address and will send cash...thanks!

KLMOTORSPORTS

I was able to balance mine without adding weight. Make sure the swaybar is disconnected. The reconnect so that is neutral when done with drive. May need to make one end adjustable.
Brad
Yep, definitely on the sway bar disconnect (have setup circle track cars) before scaling. Are you Autocrossing yours? Would just think that messing around with different spring rates on the corners and getting the car basically 50-50 on weight with driver in seat could be a huge advantage on these cars

George

Goblin Guru
Autocross some, I am not a talerted driver so I have some younger more aggressive divers drive also. My racing expertis has been mostly building,setup and campainin cars. Normally 4 cylinder circle track and road course.
Hopefully at the beginning of the season during test and tune I can travel where another Goblin is running so we can work together.
Currently have 3 sets of front shocks with different spring rates and 3 different spring rates for the rear and 40# and 50# spring cushions for fine tuning rates either end.

Brad

Last edited: