Competition other than AutoX

Jm12

Has anyone entered their Goblin into any competitive events other than autocross? Maybe hillclimbs? Safety wise, the barrier for entry in autocross is very low compared to other types of events and seems to raise very quickly. I'm curious if anyone has had to put their car through the paces necessary to meet higher spec safety regulations.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Check Justinreed7 posts. He has been doing some drags and track days. Maybe he can shed some light on their tech inspections requirements.

I think passing inspection for other types of events will be more dependent on your belts, wrist restraints and other personal safety equipment. The sanctioning body should have all those requirements in the safety regulations.

Jm12

There's a lot of driver equipment specified that's pretty straightforward, I think. Some vehicle related regulations that are more stringent though. Track days are actually pretty lax:

Hill climbs and time trials require more:

I have no idea about drag racing.

I'm wondering if there are any gotchas in the process of getting a car like ours tech'd.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I plan to take mine to the local 1/8 mile strip here soon. They told me I'd need a helmet (everyone does) and wrist restraints. Also hoping to get to Atlanta Dragway once before they close. Last time I was there (in a car with a roof) they only required helmets running faster than 14.0. From my (limited) experience drag racing is going to be more track dependent and you're unlikely to run into issues with the car itself until you start going fast enough.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The problem is we are an open cockpit, so there’s more rules and will be put in much higher classes, due to our power to weight and not a production car. other than autocross and track days, it can be more difficult to find other racing. Most will depend on your area and popularity.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
If you have the street model good luck getting passed the roll bar requirement.

A. The vehicle is equipped with documented factory installed roll over protection. (Examples of manufacturer-documented roll over protection include hydroformed and reinforced a-pillars or windshield frame and factory installed roll bars and/or “pop-up” bars that are designated as roll over protection.) B. The vehicle is equipped with a commercially produced roll bar or roll cage which is described by the manufacturer to provide track-appropriate rollover protection. (E.g., “style” bars are not acceptable.)

ATMironov

If you have the street model good luck getting passed the roll bar requirement.

A. The vehicle is equipped with documented factory installed roll over protection. (Examples of manufacturer-documented roll over protection include hydroformed and reinforced a-pillars or windshield frame and factory installed roll bars and/or “pop-up” bars that are designated as roll over protection.) B. The vehicle is equipped with a commercially produced roll bar or roll cage which is described by the manufacturer to provide track-appropriate rollover protection. (E.g., “style” bars are not acceptable.)
Yeah, the Street model is a no go for the track. I host events in Northern California, and I wouldn't let the street version on the track during one of my events.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Yeah, the Street model is a no go for the track. I host events in Northern California, and I wouldn't let the street version on the track during one of my events.
With your track days, are open wheeled cars allowed?
Some of the HPD events I've looked into dont allow them. Though I'm not sure if they're referring to just "formula" style race cars.

ATMironov

With your track days, are open wheeled cars allowed?
Some of the HPD events I've looked into dont allow them. Though I'm not sure if they're referring to just "formula" style race cars.
You hit the nail on the head.
We won’t allow formula style cars as the cornering speeds are so much faster compared to regular cars.
Atoms and Goblins are good to go though.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
You hit the nail on the head.
We won’t allow formula style cars as the cornering speeds are so much faster compared to regular cars.
Atoms and Goblins are good to go though.
First statement says no street goblins, 2nd statements says Atoms and Goblins are good to go.

What's different about an Atom that allows it on the track but not a street Goblin frame?

Are your events just track days or are you a racing organization?

ATMironov

First statement says no street goblins, 2nd statements says Atoms and Goblins are good to go.

What's different about an Atom that allows it on the track but not a street Goblin frame?

Are your events just track days or are you a racing organization?
Fair enough question. It not as cut and dry as a Street Goblin is no go an and an Atom is always good. Its defiantly driver dependent.
In the event of a roll over, your head needs to be below the line between the top of the roll bar and the top of the hood. (or realistically the highest metal cross bar)
The Atoms seem to cover this better, but a shorter driver in a Street Goblin would probably be ok.

Primary focus is on HPDE, but we do host wheel to wheel races.

The Atom driver in the photo below is questionable.
786664.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast
As far as the HPDE events ive attended goes (scca track night, Just Track It, Chin) tech inspection is a joke tbh. As long as you're not leaking fluid you pass. This is given you have a track frame and full race gear. The inspector tends to become more comfortable with you when you show up with proper safety equipment and a Hans, although Hans isnt required. For the street frames, I wouldnt track those at the level i track mine. If i want to drive a HPDE just for the experience, sure, but trying to get fast lap times i wouldnt attempt it.

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast
Has anyone entered their Goblin into any competitive events other than autocross? Maybe hillclimbs? Safety wise, the barrier for entry in autocross is very low compared to other types of events and seems to raise very quickly. I'm curious if anyone has had to put their car through the paces necessary to meet higher spec safety regulations.
I was looking into the rules of hillclimbs recently and seen a few kitcars listed for the Max and Unlimited class. Three of which were the Lotus 7, Ariel Atom and Exocet. If those cars can run a Max or Unlimited class, i see no issue getting a goblin added to that category as well. Especially the exocet given it was made the same way a goblin is. SCCA hosts a hillclimb in Robbinsville, NC called chasing the dragon. Im going to attempt to enter my car for 2022.

Jm12

I was looking into the rules of hillclimbs recently and seen a few kitcars listed for the Max and Unlimited class. Three of which were the Lotus 7, Ariel Atom and Exocet. If those cars can run a Max or Unlimited class, i see no issue getting a goblin added to that category as well. Especially the exocet given it was made the same way a goblin is. SCCA hosts a hillclimb in Robbinsville, NC called chasing the dragon. Im going to attempt to enter my car for 2022.
Keep me updated. That's the one I'm looking into as well.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
For folks on the west coast, there's the Northwest Hill Climb Association. It looks like there's hill climbs in BC, southern WA, southern OR, and northern CA. Their website is not ideal but it might be a fun time.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Hill climb in May, for the NW folks