Coolant hose alternative

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
There is no way all the wiring, brake lines, clutch line, heat exchanger hoses, and radiator hoses will fit inside of the tunnel. The radiator hoses might fit if you go with a different heat exchanger setup and don't route the hoses through the tunnel.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I found this last night.

Weld on barb

20200331_084719.jpg

I think it could be shortened up enough to work.

Last Problem is rust control and expansion of the lower tube. Lizardskin will probably take care of a possible hot tube problem.
Does anyone know how to calculate heat induced tubing elongation. I don't want to have a bowed car, although I'm not sure it would be any different than the stock method.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I was thinking something more along the lines of an AN fitting. By using an AN fitting you could easily switch between using AN lines or hose barbs with rubber lines.
bung.JPG

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
There is no way all the wiring, brake lines, clutch line, heat exchanger hoses, and radiator hoses will fit inside of the tunnel. The radiator hoses might fit if you go with a different heat exchanger setup and don't route the hoses through the tunnel.
How about running square tube down the tunnel? You would pick up a bunch of volume with a much smaller foot print. A 3/4" square tube will flow the same as a 1" round.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Another thing to think about and I'm not even really sure how big of a deal it could be, is the possibility of cracking those frame tubes and having all the coolant leak out.

How much does one really need to worry about that? Probably not much. I would think that if you hit something hard enough to crack a frame rail, you'll probably have other bigger issues.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Another thing to think about and I'm not even really sure how big of a deal it could be, is the possibility of cracking those frame tubes and having all the coolant leak out.

How much does one really need to worry about that? Probably not much. I would think that if you hit something hard enough to crack a frame rail, you'll probably have other bigger issues.
I agree on the accident situation, but wonder what 5000 heat cycles does. Ha, maybe I'm thinking I'll drive it more that I really will.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
If they can put plastic end tanks on radiators and have them last 200k miles, it can't be THAT bad to run coolant through a steel tube! lol

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
If they can put plastic end tanks on radiators and have them last 200k miles, it can't be THAT bad to run coolant through a steel tube! lol
Actually, that's an added benefit to why they did that. Reducing electrolysis corrosion due to dissimilar metals.

Last edited:

benjy

I’m not endorsing the idea, but tube chassis rock crawlers have been running coolant through chassis tubes for a long time, and I’ve wondered why DF didn’t do that on the goblin. That said, I’ll be doing the recommended method.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Like a few others i am running -16AN hose through mine and getting adapters. It's slightly smaller than the DF pipe but will fit in nicely.

I got 33 feet of it from ebay for $130, seems to be nice quality. Nylon over stainless braided lines, but not stainless exterior like the fancy stuff.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Like a few others i am running -16AN hose through mine and getting adapters. It's slightly smaller than the DF pipe but will fit in nicely.

I got 33 feet of it from ebay for $130, seems to be nice quality. Nylon over stainless braided lines, but not stainless exterior like the fancy stuff.
If I decide against the welded fittings for some reason, I'll probably end up going with the braided line as well. The thought of having a rubber line permanently stuck in the frame rail if I ever have issues just doesn't sit well.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
My only thought about running smaller hoses through the frame is how it can affect the longevity of the water pump. The Goblin is already running 20'+ of extra cooling hose that wasn't originally in the Cobalt. Even at < 1/8" smaller, I would think that would increase the working pressure in the system even more possibly shortening the life of the pump. Will it really make a difference? Probably not, but it's really hard to know for certain.

I like the idea of doing away with the hoses too given that you make sure you won't have any leaks.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I'm really close to pulling the pin and buying some weld on AN fittings. I'm still concerned about rusting. I know in theory, no air, no rust, but i have never opened a system with iron in it that i didn't see rust. Has anyone tried and liked one of the hundreds of products available? The tube is going to flex, so I'm a little worried about the "glass" coating types.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
As long as you keep the proper amount of antifreeze in the system it should be fine.

As well as preventing water from freezing up, antifreeze raises the boiling point of engine coolant to prevent overheating. The stuff also protects your engine from corrosion, aids heat transfer, and prevents scale from building up internally.

The expansion and contraction from heat cycles shouldn't be a problem either.

The only concern we have is with the small exposed area near your feet. It will need a heat shield to prevent accidental skin contact and prolonged shoe contact.

We keep looking into what it would take to run coolant through the frame rails. We will need laser cut heat shields and weld on fittings. We will also need to set a rotary weld process and pressure testing.

ManDan1957

If I decide against the welded fittings for some reason, I'll probably end up going with the braided line as well. The thought of having a rubber line permanently stuck in the frame rail if I ever have issues just doesn't sit well.
I don’t know if anyone has had to remove a hose yet but I’m wondering if pulling a carpet “hook blade through the line once or twice would help to remove it.