Coolant hose alternative

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I don’t know if anyone has had to remove a hose yet but I’m wondering if pulling a carpet “hook blade through the line once or twice would help to remove it.
There's at least one person who has had to replace a hose on account of drilling through it when mounting the side panels.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
There's at least one person who has had to replace a hose on account of drilling through it when mounting the side panels.
Any idea how they got it out of there? That sounds like far less fun than trying to get the hose in there!

gofast

I have only a bare frame to look at so those of you with complete cars can best answer this...why can't the coolant be run directly through the tubes? All we would need are tube ends welded or brazed in place to attach the hoses. Of course, if you are drilling the tubes, that could be a problem. Adam and Lonny, are you reading this?

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I have only a bare frame to look at so those of you with complete cars can best answer this...why can't the coolant be run directly through the tubes? All we would need are tube ends welded or brazed in place to attach the hoses. Of course, if you are drilling the tubes, that could be a problem. Adam and Lonny, are you reading this?
Lonny added to this thread in the previous page. This is the idea I'm kicking around.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
AN-16 SS hose works real well...very slight gap (prob 1/16” or so)....install a piece of cake
Ken, I got some -16 hose... what'd you do in regards for hooking up the 16 line to the engine/radiator? I'm seeing 16 -> 1.25" radiator adapters at 18$ each at a minimum, assuming i'd need 4... did you go this route? I'm also assuming the radiator hose is 1.25" but I'm not certain, I don't have my kit yet.

Dsteinhorst

I had to pull hoses back through 95% of the frame a few times. They pull back easy once you compress them with the pull force. Of course, that's minutes after pulling them in.

Nathan, are you going to give it a go? Weld on fittings?

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I had to pull hoses back through 95% of the frame a few times. They pull back easy once you compress them with the pull force. Of course, that's minutes after pulling them in.

Nathan, are you going to give it a go? Weld on fittings?
I'm fairly certain that I'm going to have the fittings welded onto the frame. I talked to a buddy who I have do my good welds (cause mine are ****) and he's agrees that welding fittings on seems to be the way to go.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
You will definitely have to do something to resolve clearance issues with the carriage bolt to subframe.
Couldn't I just thread the an fitting onto the welded fitting after the subframe is bolted into the car?
I'm curious as to what the ID of that tube is so that I can see about getting my fittings turned down to slip in for welding.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Couldn't I just thread the an fitting onto the welded fitting after the subframe is bolted into the car?
I'm curious as to what the ID of that tube is so that I can see about getting my fittings turned down to slip in for welding.
Probably not. The head on the carriage bolt of that size isn't exactly low profile to begin with. Also, the square part of the head does not get sucked into the frame like it does on wood. So you will have even more sticking out.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
The concern I have is
Jim, would a 90 degree fitting work in that location? The hard line in the bend may give more room for the bolt head, maybe?
I don't know. They also make 30 deg bends also.

They are an expensive little fitting, and on eBay, the vendor doesn't allow returns, so I'm afraid to use to much trial and error. I can use 2 of them on the front of the car, so I've got one more shot to find something that will work on the rear.

I thought about trying an elevator bolt , but I'm nearly positive that even they are to high.

I'm going to see if I can machine a 1"npt female coupler into a weld fitting and then use a 1" barb on the rear. Not nearly as visually appealing as anodized AR fittings, but it would still maintain stock diameters for our much needed desert cooling.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Do elevator bolts come in a high enough hardness grade?
Edit: the largest diameter I can find is 3/8 a nd these are not graded?

Last edited: