Correct SS/TC Steering Component PNs?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
When shopping for steering linkages & components, I'm a little confused by all the FE1, FE3, FE5, etc notes on these parts on Rock Auto.

I need both inner and outer tie rods, but I'm having a hard time truly confirming a legit match because I'm dumb.
I also vaguely remember replacing my front outer tie rods with ones provided by DF, I don't want to get the wrong part.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Mayor, which donor did you have? NA (non-SS) would be FE1, early NA SS would be FE3 and SS would be FE5 - as a general rule. There were variations in the configurations that Chevy put into their Cobalts. Another way is to look at the trunk tag - you did keep a photo? :oops::D

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Post title and signature state SS/TC, so It's the FE5 SS but not every result has this specific information, and the GM parts number catalog I use does not have information for inner tie rods, only outer or entire rack setups.

It's more or less, I read somewhere on here from DF that there are two different steering racks, SS and non SS. I also need to know what exactly DF provided in the SS kit to use for the front outer tie rods?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
The only difference between the SS and non-SS racks is how many turns lock to lock. Same ratio, so the SS rack essentially has less travel. That's really only relevant when talking about their rack travel limiter pieces and/or if you're trying to not rub a wheel on the control arm.

DF's supplied outer tie rod ends go on the front, the original Cobalt outer tie rod ends go on the back. FWIW Summit Racing lists one inner and one outer tie rod end part number to fit all Cobalts regardless of year or suspension config, so I don't think you can go wrong there. I assume they use Cobalt inner tie rods on the rear static linkage but not 100% sure.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
The only difference between the SS and non-SS racks is how many turns lock to lock. Same ratio, so the SS rack essentially has less travel. That's really only relevant when talking about their rack travel limiter pieces and/or if you're trying to not rub a wheel on the control arm.

DF's supplied outer tie rod ends go on the front, the original Cobalt outer tie rod ends go on the back. FWIW Summit Racing lists one inner and one outer tie rod end part number to fit all Cobalts regardless of year or suspension config, so I don't think you can go wrong there. I assume they use Cobalt inner tie rods on the rear static linkage but not 100% sure.
Okay, so the DF supplied tie rod ends are one of what I need to replace, anyone have a P# for that?