Creaking Goblin

Astraeus

Hey all. I've noticed a fairly loud creaking noise coming from the back of the car when turning at slow speeds. It's very easy to replicate. If I turn the front wheels either direction, and simply roll the car in neutral a few inches forwards or backwards, it makes the noise. The noise does not occur when the front wheels are straight. Here is a video:

Donor car was an 09 SSTC. Anyone else run into this?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Only happens when the vehicle is turning? Sounds like it’s the LSD but that’s just my uneducated guess. Figure when turning, the outside wheel rotates faster than the inside wheel which could cause the LSD to “slip” while it’s trying to engage.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I’d suggest pulling a drive shaft and then reassembling the rear and do the roll test again and see if it still creaks. If it does, then sorry for wasting your time :oops:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Jack up one tire off the ground and turn the tire with the transmission in neutral, and then do the other. If it is a rotational-related noise it should show up.

While jacking up the Goblin, listen for the noise. It could be suspension-related.

Make sure you tightened the subframe and motor mount bolts.

Get a really loud exhaust.