Critique my order (long)

neodied

Hey everyone, it is finally that time. I bought and shipped a donor ('07 SS/SC) which arrived recently, and I'll be stripping it down casually over the winter. Hopefully starting the build in spring whenever my spot in the order queue pops up.

Build Concept: Road legal, track capable, tooling around town running errands like a hooligan. This is replacing my motorcycle as the fun vehicle, so I want high "engagement". I will almost certainly do powertrain/chassis mods down the road when I get the itch, but keeping things mostly stock for now to minimize initial cost.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here's the tentative option sheet for the order I settled on and why:

Donor Trim: Manual SS Supercharged
Self explanatory, but I wanted a manual for the experience and I've never owned a supercharged car so thought this would be the perfect time to get that enticing whine.

Chassis Length: Extended
I'm 6'3" and want the extra room as others have mentioned for speakers or other auxiliary components. Also for stability at speed.

Chassis Style: Full Cage (Track) with a "monkey bar" across the top halo
I love the look of the Open Cage, but I do plan to track this and I will probably go for a windshield at some point so better mounting options are a big plus. I plan to eventually put a roof rack on it as others have done. The monkey bar mod will assist getting in and out and that seems to be pretty common around here but it's not on the web order form so I plan to shoot an email to DF support before I place the order.

Door Bar Style: Easy Entry "Modified"/Double Bar
This is the most agonizing choice for me because I want to balance ease of entry (wife acceptance factors in big here) with having a nice arm rest and better side protection. So for any of you tall-torso Full Door and "Modified" Easy Entry owners out there, please weigh in on how your ingress/egress is and whether the door bars are still good as an arm rest. The "Modified" Easy Entry is another common frame mod that doesn't appear on the web order form so it'll be in a pre-order email.

Hood: Yes
It's a great canvas for putting on a neat wrap or logo and I'm not going for the full naked look.

Windscreen: No
Based on what others have said about the polycarb scratching and not being super stiff, I'll probably figure out something with safety glass down the road. For the meantime, I'll use goggles/sunglasses/helmet for the wind.

Footwell Cover: Yes
For the reasons listed in the order form: debris and heat.

Side Panels: No
Engine Cover: No
Mostly for looks, I like the exposed frame and components better.

Fenders: No
I'm undecided what wheel+tire combo I will end up with and the open wheel look is pretty neat anyway. If my state inspector gives me flak about not having fenders I'll figure something out or order these separately.

Wing Mount Kit: Yes
A wing really rounds out the racecar aesthetic and any extra downforce will be a nice bonus.

Headlights: No
Several people here mentioned the kit lights being too dim and I like the look of other aftermarket styles better.

Mirrors + Turn Signals: Yes
License Plate Light: Yes
Taillights: Yes
Button Panels: Yes
Basic stuff to make it road legal in my area.

Boost Gauge Mount: Yes
Because it's only $10 and boost is cool.

Wire Harness Service: Yes
I love turning a wrench, but not so much electrical wiring in general. It's worth the cost to not screw up or get tired of doing the rework myself.

Seats: FX1 (not Pro)
I've had my fair share of donuts so not going to embarrass myself trying to squeeze into the 36" waist "Pro" seat. The stock Cobalt seats would look pretty out of place and not provide enough stability with the corners I plan on taking. ;) My concern is if for whatever reason the ergonomics don't work out there's no adjustment really. I was looking into the Corbeau Reclining options, still a bit iffy on what to do here. I may nix this and punt the decision down the road and suffer with the stock seats for a while.

Rear Coilover Kit / Adapters: No
Trying to keep the cost within reason and this is another highly customizable component that I can tackle later if wanted.

Heat Exchanger Duct Kit: No
Cost and I don't really know why it would be needed. Maybe if I track it at 10/10ths for extended time?

Tow Bar Package: No
This should be fully road legal when it's all built.

5x114.3 Bearing Hubs: No
Undecided on wheels+tires, I'll use the stock hubs for now.

Parking Brake Kit: No
I believe SS/SC trim option comes with parking brake kit.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Hey everyone, it is finally that time. I bought and shipped a donor ('07 SS/SC) which arrived recently, and I'll be stripping it down casually over the winter. Hopefully starting the build in spring whenever my spot in the order queue pops up.

Build Concept: Road legal, track capable, tooling around town running errands like a hooligan. This is replacing my motorcycle as the fun vehicle, so I want high "engagement". I will almost certainly do powertrain/chassis mods down the road when I get the itch, but keeping things mostly stock for now to minimize initial cost.

Self explanatory, but I wanted a manual for the experience and I've never owned a supercharged car so thought this would be the perfect time to get that enticing whine.

I'm 6'3" and want the extra room as others have mentioned for speakers or other auxiliary components. Also for stability at speed.

I love the look of the Open Cage, but I do plan to track this and I will probably go for a windshield at some point so better mounting options are a big plus. I plan to eventually put a roof rack on it as others have done. The monkey bar mod will assist getting in and out and that seems to be pretty common around here but it's not on the web order form so I plan to shoot an email to DF support before I place the order.

This is the most agonizing choice for me because I want to balance ease of entry (wife acceptance factors in big here) with having a nice arm rest and better side protection. So for any of you tall-torso Full Door and "Modified" Easy Entry owners out there, please weigh in on how your ingress/egress is and whether the door bars are still good as an arm rest. The "Modified" Easy Entry is another common frame mod that doesn't appear on the web order form so it'll be in a pre-order email.
I do wish I had ordered the Modified Door bars.

Hood:
Yes
It's a great canvas for putting on a neat wrap or logo and I'm not going for the full naked look.

Based on what others have said about the polycarb scratching and not being super stiff, I'll probably figure out something with safety glass down the road. For the meantime, I'll use goggles/sunglasses/helmet for the wind.
I think the windscreens work pretty well. I bought the tall one from DF and made my own short one. They do scratch, but at 6'-3" you will be looking over the screen anyway.

Footwell Cover:
Yes

Mostly for looks, I like the exposed frame and components better. Not sure I would worry about the footwell cover for debris without the side panels.

Fenders:
No
I'm undecided what wheel+tire combo I will end up with and the open wheel look is pretty neat anyway. If my state inspector gives me flak about not having fenders I'll figure something out or order these separately.

A wing really rounds out the racecar aesthetic and any extra downforce will be a nice bonus.
The wing is pretty much looks only from the discussions on here, no real downforce added or likely needed in the rear. A front wing might supply usable downforce.

Headlights:
No
Several people here mentioned the kit lights being too dim and I like the look of other aftermarket styles better.

I love turning a wrench, but not so much electrical wiring in general. It's worth the cost to not screw up or get tired of doing the rework myself.
You will learn a lot about the car and it will make trouble shooting problems easier in the future if you do it yourself.

Seats:
FX1 (not Pro)
I've had my fair share of donuts so not going to embarrass myself trying to squeeze into the 36" waist "Pro" seat. The stock Cobalt seats would look pretty out of place and not provide enough stability with the corners I plan on taking. ;) My concern is if for whatever reason the ergonomics don't work out there's no adjustment really. I was looking into the Corbeau Reclining options, still a bit iffy on what to do here. I may nix this and punt the decision down the road and suffer with the stock seats for a while.

Trying to keep the cost within reason and this is another highly customizable component that I can tackle later if wanted.
Order the adapters now, it doesn't cost much and you will likely go to coilovers at some point.

Heat Exchanger Duct Kit:
No
Cost and I don't really know why it would be needed. Maybe if I track it at 10/10ths for extended time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
My build concept was similar, so I'll add in my thoughts below:
yup, perfect balance of out-of-the-box power with mod-ability down the road
yup, 6'2" here, good choice
I didn't get the full cage and don't regret it (yet) but probably wouldn't regret ordering it if I did have it. I haven't tried yet but I don't foresee any issues getting onto my local tracks without it
I have the standard door bar style but haven't had the opportunity to sit in other styles. I can't imagine anything lower being more comfortable. I've read that the full cage makes it easier to get in (extra stuff to hold onto) and harder to get in (now you have an overhead limit)
Yup, also helps with windshield mounting
I have the windshield, and yeah, it scratches a lot easier than glass. I think you can also manage to scratch it less if you're gentle with cleaning. I also couldn't imagine driving my car as much as I do without it, even though I have a helmet I could wear. Might reconsider, but up to you, depending on how confident you are in fitting your own. I look over mine anyway so it's more of a bug and wind guard than something that distracts me with glare in the scratches
I didn't order this. I've not found there to be a ton of heat coming off the radiator and through the footwell, and debris through the footwell is minimal. Reducing flow through the footwell should also increase flow coming forwards over the engine bay... kind of counterintuitive if you've never driven a convertible before. I wouldn't consider this necessary
I have them, I think more surface area for color is cool. Don't have to worry about my phone falling out of my pocket. I think they help keep pebbles out of the car
Agreed, it's cool to see the engine
Agreed, you and your passenger will quickly learn to not look a the inside tire on a slow turn ;)
Aesthetics, absolutely, downforce, no. With the weight distribution, rear downforce isn't really necessary, and especially not beneficial behind the rear axle, at least not without a front wing or splitter to go with it. I threw a cheap eBay carbon fiber vinyl wrapped wing on for looks.
Yup, plus the LED halo on my headlights doubles as an additional turn signal
Agreed
Agreed
Agreed
Agreed
Agreed, unless you want to 3D print one, particularly applicable if you also want to mount a wideband O2 gauge
Yup, I know me, and I didn't want to give myself more excuses to kick the can down the road like I would have if I had wiring in front of me.
I love my Corbeaus. I'd only consider factory Cobalt seats if you could get your hands on the factory Corbeaus (G85 option package on an SS/SC). These cars deserve cool seats, too
Up to you, I think the coilovers look cooler as well. If your donor's struts are in good shape, maybe, but don't buy replacement struts if you're considering going to coilovers down the road
Agreed, I ended up mounting my heat exchanger behind the driver's seat, but you should be fine in stock (front) location as well
Agreed
Agreed, also makes replacement parts easy to sort. I believe the widest off-the-shelf 5x110 wheel is a 17x8 but you'll also see me disagreeing with folks running 295-wide tires anyway
I think you're right, it's standard on manual kits now
Looks like a solid selection to me. Windshield is the biggest thing that jumps out to me, but if you think you can sort that out, then omit it from your order.

neodied

I think the windscreens work pretty well. I bought the tall one from DF and made my own short one. They do scratch, but at 6'-3" you will be looking over the screen anyway.
Re: windscreen, I may reconsider that and get one because it could be like my motorcycle windscreen where even though my eyes were above the edge, it still provided very meaningful air deflection. And I've seen some people here just consider the polycarb screens a wear item and replace them occasionally.

The wing is pretty much looks only from the discussions on here, no real downforce added or likely needed in the rear. A front wing might supply usable downforce
The wing is 99% aesthetic for sure. Very valid point about possibly adding front wing(s) for actual handling improvement.

Not sure I would worry about the footwell cover for debris without the side panels.
How hard would it be to add the footwell cover after the build? Side panels would be easy.

You will learn a lot about the car and it will make trouble shooting problems easier in the future if you do it yourself.
Valid point about learning a lot with doing the rework myself, but I feel like it'll be the last thing left before starting the build and I'll procrastinate it and not enjoy it.

Order the adapters now, it doesn't cost much and you will likely go to coilovers at some point.
I think you changed my mind about the coilover adapters because as I mentioned it will almost certainly be modded down the road, including coilovers so why not just get the enabling parts now.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
looks good, but a few suggestions.

Seats:
These are tough because you can’t just go somewhere and test sit in them on their own, much less in a goblin. I’m a bigger guy (5’10”/250#) and fit very well in my NRG seats. They recline and slide, plus a perfect fit with cobalt mounts. There’s several other options out there. Just look over various build threads.

Rear coil over and adaptors:
If you are doing any track, I would highly recommend these straight off the batt. Other than compression and dampening adjustments, these will also help fit a bigger range of wheels/tires due to being smaller in diameter. Plus they look more race ready than big ol stock struts.

park brake package:
The lever, tubes and cables get pulled from the cobalt, but you’ll need the rear calipers (solstice I believe) and custom mounts for it to all work.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Re: windscreen, I may reconsider that and get one because it could be like my motorcycle windscreen where even though my eyes were above the edge, it still provided very meaningful air deflection. And I've seen some people here just consider the polycarb screens a wear item and replace them occasionally.

The wing is 99% aesthetic for sure. Very valid point about possibly adding front wing(s) for actual handling improvement.

How hard would it be to add the footwell cover after the build? Side panels would be easy.

Valid point about learning a lot with doing the rework myself, but I feel like it'll be the last thing left before starting the build and I'll procrastinate it and not enjoy it.

I think you changed my mind about the coilover adapters because as I mentioned it will almost certainly be modded down the road, including coilovers so why not just get the enabling parts now.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!
I have been riding sport bikes for over 20 years, so I prefer to wear a helmet in the goblin. The wind is very similar from motorcycle to goblin, so it doesn’t bother me.

you can put the footwell cover in at anytime. I have mine and have yet to put it on. With no sides, the heat just flows through and I really don’t feel it. Although when it’s 100* outside, it’s all hot no matter what.

neodied

I have the windshield, and yeah, it scratches a lot easier than glass. I think you can also manage to scratch it less if you're gentle with cleaning. I also couldn't imagine driving my car as much as I do without it, even though I have a helmet I could wear. Might reconsider, but up to you, depending on how confident you are in fitting your own. I look over mine anyway so it's more of a bug and wind guard than something that distracts me with glare in the scratches
Do you have the standard or extended +2" windshield?

I didn't order this. I've not found there to be a ton of heat coming off the radiator and through the footwell, and debris through the footwell is minimal. Reducing flow through the footwell should also increase flow coming forwards over the engine bay... kind of counterintuitive if you've never driven a convertible before. I wouldn't consider this necessary
I have them, I think more surface area for color is cool. Don't have to worry about my phone falling out of my pocket. I think they help keep pebbles out of the car
Fair points, maybe removing the footwell cover and adding side panels will better achieve the goal of less debris and heat.

Up to you, I think the coilovers look cooler as well. If your donor's struts are in good shape, maybe, but don't buy replacement struts if you're considering going to coilovers down the road
Yeah I think I will get the adapters so that whenever I decide that it's time for coilovers I can just get them and not have to also order adapters from DFKC.

Thanks for the perspective!

Last edited:

neodied

Seats:
These are tough because you can’t just go somewhere and test sit in them on their own, much less in a goblin. I’m a bigger guy (5’10”/250#) and fit very well in my NRG seats. They recline and slide, plus a perfect fit with cobalt mounts. There’s several other options out there. Just look over various build threads.
Yeah, seats are really tough to pick without trying them out and they'll have a huge impact on comfort. Do aftermarket shops normally stock a ton of seats so I can just try them all out? That would be ideal. I'm a 38" waist, so the non-Pro FX1 should work if the description isn't lying.

Rear coil over and adaptors:
If you are doing any track, I would highly recommend these straight off the batt. Other than compression and dampening adjustments, these will also help fit a bigger range of wheels/tires due to being smaller in diameter. Plus they look more race ready than big ol stock struts.
Yep, consensus seems to be coilovers = good so adapters it is and I'll do some more research to find what specifically I want when it's time for tracking it.

Thanks!

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru

Just to level-set, this is basically identical to my build concept - from donor to purpose. I'm nearing completion of my tear down and about to start my wiring harness. My opinions are not just opinions but are opinions based on very little experience in this process so far.

I can't make up my mind on this one. I ordered an extended track frame with easy entry doors. I wasn't even aware of them when I ordered mine, but read about them while reading through the forum.

I am fast approaching my final decision date and honestly don't know if I am going double bars or not. I will be watching this thread for others' input after already noting one regret of not getting them.

I went yes on both and am second-guessing whether I want/need the footwell cover. I am definitely getting side panels just to keep things out and to have some sort of body on the car. From everything I've read, I think I want the footwell cover to extend my driving season in northern Illinois.

Ordered them, decided I was going to remove them, then after seeing the prices on the ones I liked, I think I will keep them and put in LEDs. Ful circle for me. lol

A visit to DFKC HQ settled both of these for me.

I was going to order the wiring harness service until I spoke to Lonny. He convinced me to try the wiring myself and after watching the new videos it's an easy yes for me. If it's a complete fail, the only money I wasted was the wiring kit and I'll send it in for the wiring doctors to fix.

I also went for a ride while I was there and my 38-40" waist fit in Lonny's FX1 Pro seats. It was a little snug but I fit. I am going to order the FX1 seats - after riding in the FX1 Pro I am confident the FX1's will be fine.

I elected to go with the ducts, if the car is moving so is the airflow.

I did not order the hubs originally but will be adding them on. Looking at the hubs from my Midwest donor, it couldn't hurt to go with some new ones. I also have some existing wheels in the 5x114.3 size so strictly a personal choice for me. If you don't need new hubs or don't have wheels in the 5x114.3 size you can use, I'm not sure there is a reason to add these on.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yeah, seats are really tough to pick without trying them out and they'll have a huge impact on comfort. Do aftermarket shops normally stock a ton of seats so I can just try them all out? That would be ideal. I'm a 38" waist, so the non-Pro FX1 should work if the description isn't lying.
if you live in or near Dallas, maybe summit has some you can sit in, but for the most part, I would doubt many speed shops would have many to sit in, if any. To be honest, since super shops closed many moons ago, I really haven’t been in any soled shop other than 4-wheel parts. It’s the great unknown.

jayrolls

Mostly for looks, I like the exposed frame and components better.

I’m 6’2” 310. I have the double bars. The quick release steering wheel makes getting in and out easy. I added some roll bar padding it’s pretty easy to kinda slide in. The wife says getting in and out is easier then she thought it would be.

Attachments

Scott #321

On a budget build don't discount the wiring. Follow the videos step by step and set up to stop for the day at the end of a video. The instructional videos are very well done and make it difficult to make a mistake.you will get a sense of accomplishment and a better understanding of how everything works but everyone knows their own limitations.
I'm 6'2" 203 with a 38" waist and the fx1 fit me well. I did add some padding to provide additional lower back support. I planned on stock seats for a while but test fitting them I sat uncomfortably close to the steering wheel.. I like the easy entry track frame but admit any track time other than autocross and I would probably prefer more of a cage.
I copied Ross's windshield idea and love it. I also ride a motorcycle but the hood does venturi the wind and make a full face helmet a basic necessity at highway speeds.
I did not see where you are located but someone may be close enough to visit and get a better idea of how you want things.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I’m 6’2” 310. I have the double bars. The quick release steering wheel makes getting in and out easy. I added some roll bar padding it’s pretty easy to kinda slide in. The wife says getting in and out is easier then she thought it would be.
I will add, I found it much easier to get in and out once I added the quick release steering wheel on my standard door bar car. It's probably not as necessary on a lower door bar car.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Something I would add is to upgrade from the start, the upright brackets and the steering arms. With aggressive driving on sticky tires, they tend to bend or break. Is is easy to change out later but makes easy to do on initial build.

See differences between standard and HD below.
HD lower bracket.JPGHD steering top.JPGHD steering side.JPG

Joe

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ya. I second……..eerrrrrr third, fourth? The upgraded parts if you are going to track it at all. There’s tons more for upgrades, but build it stock, then upgrade is a way to go.

neodied

I went yes on both and am second-guessing whether I want/need the footwell cover. I am definitely getting side panels just to keep things out and to have some sort of body on the car. From everything I've read, I think I want the footwell cover to extend my driving season in northern Illinois.
Yeah, I've changed my mind about the side panels since most people seem to recommend them to keep out debris and I like Rauq's point that it lessens the risk of misc pocket items flying away. Two big pluses for people who will be riding with me (wife and friends).

I also went for a ride while I was there and my 38-40" waist fit in Lonny's FX1 Pro seats. It was a little snug but I fit. I am going to order the FX1 seats - after riding in the FX1 Pro I am confident the FX1's will be fine.
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I am leaning toward getting the FX1 now after the responses here.

I did not order the hubs originally but will be adding them on. Looking at the hubs from my Midwest donor, it couldn't hurt to go with some new ones. I also have some existing wheels in the 5x114.3 size so strictly a personal choice for me. If you don't need new hubs or don't have wheels in the 5x114.3 size you can use, I'm not sure there is a reason to add these on.
I got my donor from the car paradise that is the Southwest so even for >100Kmi, it has astonishingly little rust (compared to what my Rust Belt intuition naturally assumes).

neodied

Excellent! That photo is very helpful for getting a sense of the proportions, and I like the padding idea.

On a budget build don't discount the wiring. Follow the videos step by step and set up to stop for the day at the end of a video. The instructional videos are very well done and make it difficult to make a mistake.you will get a sense of accomplishment and a better understanding of how everything works but everyone knows their own limitations.
I may see how much time I have left between completion of tearing down the donor and my frame arriving, and if there's plenty of time then attempt the wiring harness changes. Agreed that the instructional videos are very well done. Honestly, those videos are what got me over the hump from "huh, that's a neat idea" to "well ****, maybe even I could do this".

I copied Ross's windshield idea and love it. I also ride a motorcycle but the hood does venturi the wind and make a full face helmet a basic necessity at highway speeds.
Yep, I am saving all my riding gear when I sell the motorcycle. I want to be able to drive in cooler temps too, which the gear will help with as well.

I did not see where you are located but someone may be close enough to visit and get a better idea of how you want things.
Good thought, maybe I'll poke around the regional threads and see if anyone has a similar build nearby.

neodied

Something I would add is to upgrade from the start, the upright brackets and the steering arms. With aggressive driving on sticky tires, they tend to bend or break. Is is easy to change out later but makes easy to do on initial build.
Alright, makes sense. I'd rather upgrade failure-prone bits now and not risk a code brown moment on the road. The upgraded lower rod end mounts appear to be these:
But I don't see the steering arms. Did you get them from the DFKC online store?