Cruise control

anyone had issues with not being able to make the cruise work we have installed Lonny's switch set up but still no cruise does it have to have a third brake light and see a certain resistance to work on that light circuit

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to install a load resistor from the third brake light wire to ground.
2Pcs-Load-Resistor-8RJ-50W-8ohm-Fix-LED-Bulb-Flash-Turn-Signal-Blinker-Light.jpg

Search for LED load resistor.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You must have a 2008 or newer or something. We were lucky enough not to have to use them, not that it's a big deal or anything. I just found it interesting.

Amack1970

anyone had issues with not being able to make the cruise work we have installed Lonny's switch set up but still no cruise does it have to have a third brake light and see a certain resistance to work on that light circuit
Did you ever get your cruise control to work. I have a 2010 cobalt with the same switch panel and inop cruise control. I'd be interested in what you did. My third brake lamp isn't in use right now. Please advise
Thanks

I added the LED resistor and know the cruise functions. It has to see the resistance on the third brake light in order for the cruise to function

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I installed the resistor on my 2007 and cruise is not working - should I be trying it without the resistor first?

Also, which way is on for cruise control - top of the switched depressed or bottom?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Maybe the older donors are different but Ion mine you turn the switch “on” to enable the cruise and then have 2 momentary switch’s for resume and set. Do you have a 2 position on/off switch or a 3 position switch?

jayrolls

I installed the resistor on my 2007 and cruise is not working - should I be trying it without the resistor first?

Also, which way is on for cruise control - top of the switched depressed or bottom?
Following. I installed the resistor and still don’t have cruise control.

Chubbs

Following. I installed the resistor and still don’t have cruise control.
Ditto. 2007 SS/SC Donor. Resister installed on third brake light. Clutch switches working, brake switch works. I sourced my own dash switches, but used the DF wire harness for them. Unless the DF supplied cruise switch has a special resistance or something, I doubt the switches are the problem.

Cruise has been low on my list of priorities, so I haven't really dug into it yet. Maybe someone has an answer and can save me the trouble.

Here's the resistors I bought: 10w, 100ohm. Not sure if they are the correct type or not.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
The cruise controls buttons do have resistors in the wiring. I think they are included in the DF supplied button harness but they might be part of the buttons. I sourced it all without DF so I don’t know how they have it assembled.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
The cruise controls buttons do have resistors in the wiring. I think they are included in the DF supplied button harness but they might be part of the buttons. I sourced it all without DF so I don’t know how they have it assembled.
If you wire in a third brake light that will also allow the cruise control to work

Ross

Goblin Guru
Late model cars resistors are here.
Here are the resistors for the early model cars.

Vehicle: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt L4-2.0L SC VIN P
AlldataDIY
Vehicle » Diagrams » Electrical Diagrams » Radio, Stereo, and Compact Disc » Steering Wheel Controls Diagrams

Last edited:

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Maybe the older donors are different but Ion mine you turn the switch “on” to enable the cruise and then have 2 momentary switch’s for resume and set. Do you have a 2 position on/off switch or a 3 position switch?
I have the DF button panel - I am asking about the Cruise Control switch and not the momentary Resume or Set buttons. Since mine is not working, I am not sure which position on the 2-position cruise control switch is on vs. off.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
So if I have a resistor wired into my 3rd brake light, I am affecting what is being accomplished by the resistors in my DF button panel?

My current plan is to pull the resistor and check it the next time I can get on the road.