ctuinstra's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC donor **Licensed**

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You guys are awesome. Love the input. I'm am definitely going to check Monday at the DMV to see if I can get plates. If so, he may be able to take it to Prom yet! How awesome would that be?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Worked on the supercharger intercooler this weekend. I elected to go with a different setup. I ordered this cooler from Frozenboost.com, it's the 2.5" x 24" x 7". This is the same one that Brad used. I followed his lead with the cooler and the clamp setup, used 1 1/4" clamps on the vertical bars and 1 1/2" on the top cross bar. Kaleb and I cut 3/4" aluminum square stock, then drilled and taped the ends of it for the fittings. It's high enough that it's out of the way when you look behind you. It should get some good air up there. Some may not like the obtrusive look of it, but it reminds me a lot of the DAKAR trophy trucks (minus the fan). Speaking of the fan, I decided not to go with a fan on this just yet. I think it will get plenty of air and there is no boost to be made at idle so I don't see the IATs getting that high at idle. I can always add one later if needed. I haven't plumbed it just yet, I have all the pieces other than on more short piece of silicone hose.

I really liked the tapered screw head to allow movement of the heim joint. Because of the compound angles here, this is about the only way to mount it.
DSCN1138.JPG
DSCN1141.JPG
DSCN1142.JPG
DSCN1143.JPG
DSCN1144.JPG

Last edited:

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
This looks great! Will you be using the dual fans electrical hookups from donor radiator on the engine harness? If so, does anyone know if you can permanently turn those on or better yet put them on a switch? I know we can always rewire as needed, but I'm trying to be efficient.

Also, were you thinking about adding an Option B tank and plumbing?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
This looks great! Will you be using the dual fans electrical hookups from donor radiator on the engine harness? If so, does anyone know if you can permanently turn those on or better yet put them on a switch? I know we can always rewire as needed, but I'm trying to be efficient.

Also, were you thinking about adding an Option B tank and plumbing?
The dual fans on the Cobalt harness is wired to run the fans in stages and in series or parallel, depending the amount of cooling needed. The way it's wired won't work well for something like this. The only good way to wire the fans to this cooler is to find another circuit with a relay/wire capable of the current draw and either switch it or run it constantly.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So the rest of the story....

I drive to the DMV early to arrive at 7:30 (opening). Not a single car in the lot! They must not be open. Either way, I decided to just wait at the door but they were actually open and I was the only one there! I had my pick of who I wanted to help me.

I sat down with this very nice lady and proceeded with my boat renewal first and then moved on to the car. I explained everything to her and the only question was if I had a safety inspection done (MVI) which I had not. I knew others hadn't so I politely stated that others hadn't and this is a 2018 model and that it's a new build. She quietly replied that she would enter it and see if the system required it - IT DIDN'T! Although I had already made backup plans to get it done this afternoon. At this point she had plates, registration and everything ready to go. And then it happened - their credit card system crashed along with another system!!!! I was so close! I asked it they would take cash after just realizing I had the rarity of a $100 bill in my wallet. She took the cash and made change and I was out of there in 15 minutes! So happy!

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Nice. Happy for you that it's all final. Off subject...What do you think of those seats? Are they tall enough in the back area? Would you have gone with a different seat if you could do it over?

KJP

You should submit that for a world record that may have been the fastest BMV visit ever

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Nice. Happy for you that it's all final. Off subject...What do you think of those seats? Are they tall enough in the back area? Would you have gone with a different seat if you could do it over?
They are plenty tall. I like them being just a bit wider ( I have the wide version) but that in itself causes other issues, like hitting the shifter mount and the side panel if I side the seat very far forward. Luckily I don't need it any farther forward. Plenty of extra leg room to move back with the extended frame and seat sliders. I don't have enough seat time to really complain about them. I really liked them tonight. Since I have a 4-point harness, I do like the deep seat and high thigh bolster - there is no way to slide forward under hard braking.

Oh, if there was anything I might have considered a reclining seat. Not that it's going to recline back much, but I do have room for it and would at least given me the option to recline if I felt so inclined.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
They are plenty tall. I like them being just a bit wider ( I have the wide version) but that in itself causes other issues, like hitting the shifter mount and the side panel if I side the seat very far forward. Luckily I don't need it any farther forward. Plenty of extra leg room to move back with the extended frame and seat sliders. I don't have enough seat time to really complain about them. I really liked them tonight. Since I have a 4-point harness, I do like the deep seat and high thigh bolster - there is no way to slide forward under hard braking.

Oh, if there was anything I might have considered a reclining seat. Not that it's going to recline back much, but I do have room for it and would at least given me the option to recline if I felt so inclined.
Thanks. I am having trouble finding a set of pre-owned racing seats locally so I may have to order a set. Trying to consider all my options without breaking the bank.