Custom Drilled Wheels Recommendation

ATMironov

I ordered a set of 5 Enkei RPF1 wheels and had them drilled to 5x110 by FM Wheel
I just wanted to throw their name out there as my experience was excellent with them. I generally can't say that about too many after market parts suppliers.
They are familiar with the cobalt platform and and confirmed with out me even asking that I selected the right offset rim to work with the larger Brembo brakes.
Check them out if you are looking for wheel, 5x110 or otherwise.

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG_8582.jpg

IMG_8583.jpg

ATMironov

So did they re-drill a 5x114 wheel and use steel inserts to achieve 5x110? Just wanting to know the process.
Using an CNC they oval the 5x114.3 holes to 5x110 then press in steel sleeves to bring the hole back to round.
Depending on the wheel and conversion, they could drill a 2nd set of holes making the wheel a double lug pattern.

Corgithulhu

Wouldn't steel inserts cause issues over time with the different expansion rates? And also galvanic reactions?

Seems to me that the ideal solution would have been to modify the steel hubs to be 5x114.3mm / 4.5" lug circles. Or just buy the ones that DF offers.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I think my Vors wheels use inserts to make them 5x110. Don't know if they came from the factory that way or if a reseller modified them.

ATMironov

Wouldn't steel inserts cause issues over time with the different expansion rates? And also galvanic reactions?

Seems to me that the ideal solution would have been to modify the steel hubs to be 5x114.3mm / 4.5" lug circles. Or just buy the ones that DF offers.
Inserts are widely used and specifically designed for the wheel application.
I'll be putting the wheels though their paces, and will be sure to let everyone know if I run into issues.

As for the hubs, when you track that car as much as I will, everything is a consumable items, especially hubs. I need to be able to pick up off the shelf hubs for quick repairs. So sticking with 5x110 was a must. I could have used adapters spacers, but that would have been more than the drilling cost and would have added unnecessary weight.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Using an CNC they oval the 5x114.3 holes to 5x110 then press in steel sleeves to bring the hole back to round.
Depending on the wheel and conversion, they could drill a 2nd set of holes making the wheel a double lug pattern.
I like the idea of the steel inserts on aluminum wheels if your taking off and on alot like on a track car. No worries about galling/wearing out the seats. If they do get worn, new inserts can be installed.

Last edited: