Custom stainless exhaust

Amack1970

Thanks to the guys at Black Market Racing in Phoenix for making this vision come to life. Ever since the quad tipped goblin exhaust came out I've wanted to do my own spin on a custom, stainless, pie cut exhaust. I really thought I wanted the quad tip set up, but with all the piping I couldn't run resonators. I knew i wanted to stay within the rear frame tuning, but wanted that whole area filled. So this what what we came up with. It's not officially done yet, still needs the o2 bung welded in. But we fired the car for the first time and it's better then I thought. Lov'n it right now. I wish it wasn't 105 out here in AZ right now. I've definitely got to plan a early morning run to burn out the resonator packaging

Attachments

Last edited:

Mattc3366

Wow great work! Hoping to have mine on the road soon here in Peoria. Would love to see yours sometime

WarmPepsi

Not exactly what i'd go for, but it's a piece of art. Well done. I wonder what a single one would sound like versus the double.

Side note: your plate frame clamps look loose. ;)

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Don’t take your check book out just yet. I sent an email to the BMR asking how much it would cost for something similar and got the following reply.

“I had around 30 hours plus material in that project. We are $159/hr”

If my calculations is correct that would be over $4,800

Had to check my calendar to see if it was still April 1st o_O

Thats a lot of mula! Looks awesome!

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Don’t take your check book out just yet. I sent an email to the BMR asking how much it would cost for something similar and got the following reply.

You could save on shop time by using bent tubing instead of pie cuts. That's a lot a fitting and welding. Just saying

GoblinGuyZ

Wow. Can't imagine spending 30 full hours on that. I'm no expert, just fiddle in my spare time and I was in for less than 8 hours on mine. I'm not comparing apples with apples obviously and I understand the welding will take some time but still they aren't complex pie cut angles mostly just offset U's. But no denying that exhaust is gorgeous and sometimes art simply costs alot.

For comparison my build...
Vibrant muffler $295
Mandrel Bends (2 x U, 2x90(couldve probably cut another U in 2) a foot of straight for the pie cuts $100
3" Short Flex Pipe $35
4 x SS Vbands - 1x3, 1x2.5, 2x2.25 $70
2x Exhaust Dual Tips - $88
For the brackets I used metal I had left back and of course the wire and gas are nominal so it's mostly time.
So total maybe around $600 in parts and I did it myself.
Now if you really like the pie cuts you can actually buy prewelded pies on Ebay for around $60 per 90 in which case I would've used 10 bends to replace the mandrels I have here so an additional $600 which puts me at $1200 in parts and most of the welding already done so I wouldn't be able to justify spending 4 times that or an additional $3600 on fitting and a few welds but I know it's easy to say so when you have the tools and know how.

Amack1970

[
Wow. Can't imagine spending 30 full hours on that. I'm no expert, just fiddle in my spare time and I was in for less than 8 hours on mine. I'm not comparing apples with apples obviously and I understand the welding will take some time but still they aren't complex pie cut angles mostly just offset U's. But no denying that exhaust is gorgeous and sometimes art simply costs alot.

For comparison my build...
Vibrant muffler $295
Mandrel Bends (2 x U, 2x90(couldve probably cut another U in 2) a foot of straight for the pie cuts $100
3" Short Flex Pipe $35
4 x SS Vbands - 1x3, 1x2.5, 2x2.25 $70
2x Exhaust Dual Tips - $88
For the brackets I used metal I had left back and of course the wire and gas are nominal so it's mostly time.
So total maybe around $600 in parts and I did it myself.
Now if you really like the pie cuts you can actually buy prewelded pies on Ebay for around $60 per 90 in which case I would've used 10 bends to replace the mandrels I have here so an additional $600 which puts me at $1200 in parts and most of the welding already done so I wouldn't be able to justify spending 4 times that or an additional $3600 on fitting and a few welds but I know it's easy to say so when you have the tools and know how.

View attachment 36485View attachment 36486
GoblinguyZ. I like what you did & props to you for having the skill to produce that. I'm not that talented, but I knew what I wanted, and I got it. Yes, at a cost, but I was fine paying for what I wanted. I think each goblin is built to what their owner likes and sees as a vision for the car. I've thought alot about the broke dicks that run there mouth and say "don't pull out your wallet yet", but that's not what it's about, and there not paying for it. So I look past that. I enjoy what I have. Your exhaust looks great too! Good job
QUOTE="Desert Sasqwatch, post: 79538, member: 1083"]
I can attest @Amack1970 exhaust is one the best sounding exhausts I've ever heard on a 4 cylinder engine. Nice sound, not too loud, no drone at highway speeds, and a nice burble when you let off the gas in gear. :D
[/QUOTE]

GoblinGuyZ

[

GoblinguyZ. I like what you did & props to you for having the skill to produce that. I'm not that talented, but I knew what I wanted, and I got it. Yes, at a cost, but I was fine paying for what I wanted. I think each goblin is built to what their owner likes and sees as a vision for the car. I've thought alot about the broke dicks that run there mouth and say "don't pull out your wallet yet", but that's not what it's about, and there not paying for it. So I look past that. I enjoy what I have. Your exhaust looks great too! Good job
QUOTE="Desert Sasqwatch, post: 79538, member: 1083"]
I can attest @Amack1970 exhaust is one the best sounding exhausts I've ever heard on a 4 cylinder engine. Nice sound, not too loud, no drone at highway speeds, and a nice burble when you let off the gas in gear. :D
[/QUOTE]

I completely get you bro. My post was not an attempt to bash your exhaust or the cost, I’ve spent what others would call stupid money on stuff I really wanted as well just in this case because I thankfully can do it myself I can’t justify it even though I will be the first to say yours looks better than mine and I’m sure sounds great too. I think they are the same Vibrant brand ultra quiet resonators? It’s custom jobs like yours that gave me the inspiration to want to do my own in the first place and I love to see these one off upgrades in the community. Do you have an exhaust note on yours? Would be nice to compare cause I would describe mine the same way you do and probably similar notes if same brand. I hope to do a video with sound soon when weather improves.