Custom STL Files for 3D Printed Goblin Parts

SwerveMonkey

I just don't [know] if I'd trust the printed bracket when at speed for the headlight.
Absolutely would not trust a 3d printed part for this application, maybe low speed test drives in residential areas, but not parkway speeds.
I plan to get a fabricator to make it once I'm done tweaking it, on version 3 so far and still modeling options

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Even with complete infill? I guess it’d depend on the filament used as well like carbon fiber or ABS.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I guess it depends on the model, I'm perfectly fine with the model I made for my headlight bracket; it's a short & beefy vertical to horizontal adapter that attaches to a metal housing without much area that could shear or break away. To each their own.

I had a request from a user to print Chad's dual cup holder for them. I'm experiencing some printer issues with longer prints so I wanted to remodel it to make it less than 24 hours print time, and hopefully make it less bulky and time consuming to make.

I'm uploading it to the original post now. I have yet to test this print, so YMMV. It's meant to print as many as you want and designed to allow up to 7mm worth of cables beneath it. I may have to adjust this as I test it out. My cables are routed underneath the tunnel cap so I don't need this, but I'll make sure the final version is made to handle a stock DF routed cable. It's mounted with a single bolt through the middle (not shown)

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I just dont if I'd trust the printed bracket when at speed for the headlight. There's a long moment on that bracket with wind forces, vibrations, gusts, G-forces being applied to the headlight. But you have the prototype and know it fits! Maybe send the file in to have it CNC'd out of aluminum.

I had thought about it for my dominator headlights as well but seeing how other printed parts have cracked or delaminated under bolt heads and washers, I changed my mind.
What are you talking about? I've 3D printed carabiners and plan to go bungy jumping with them!

pisco

Anybody able to 3D print a new RPD knob?
If so I’ll send $$ my donor came without one.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
While I'm sure it could be done and someone willing, a quick search on Amazon or other sites would give you a lot of choices of styles and types that should work and for much cheaper. Most shafts are are fairly common.

Goblin Graber

The Mayor’s new cup holder printed out great. For you total noobs out there like myself it printed fine with no supports. I went 20% infill with normal PLA and it’s got a little flex. I’ll print another one a little more solid. Here’s some pics

Attachments

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Either you have big hands, or it looks a little on the small side. Have you tried to put anything inside of it yet to test fit?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Either you have big hands, or it looks a little on the small side. Have you tried to put anything inside of it yet to test fit?
It's designed for a 77mm can with very small tolerances... It should be very snug.

I've modeled one up and have printed it for mine but the PLA I used did not "stay" on the shaft. If you want I can print you one and you can hot clue it on or something... (See attachment if you want to have it printed elsewhere)

The Mayor’s new cup holder printed out great. For you total noobs out there like myself it printed fine with no supports. I went 20% infill with normal PLA and it’s got a little flex. I’ll print another one a little more solid. Here’s some pics
I designed this to be printed without supports for my printer and my settings. That's not too large of a bridge to print and the overhangs aren't too difficult with a decent enough layer height. With supports, however, it's even more clean. 45 degrees is usually a safe bet for angles, I'm not 100% sure what those ended up being... they're a 14mm diameter circle split in two so whatever that ends up being.

Regarding your rigidity, try more side walls. I usually print with 4x walls and 10-15% infill (I forget the fill option in cura). The infill isn't what gives it rigidity as much as walls and layer height do (in my opinion) I've found that 4x walls is the sweet spot for super sturdy prints, regardless of infill.

I usually print .1 to .2 depending on how large something is. If I want a quick draft for sizing I do .3 but then it's relatively weak in terms of layer adhesion including especially infill.

You don't necessarily need infill past the mid-low teen % if your other settings are spot on (in my experience) I do occasionally run with a higher % infill if I have large spots of flat surface with weird top designs on them, because the layers on top end up being printed on thin air and don't come out well... 20% gyroid does really well for those types of prints but it takes forever...

Attachments

Last edited:

Goblin Graber

It almost perfectly fits a 20 oz Yeti cup. I didn’t measure it but if the top was flared out a few more mm it would fit perfect.

Thanks for the tips West. I am a complete noob when it comes to 3D printing so the advice is appreciated. I’ll setup a thick wall profile and try it again sometime. I’m really just burning filament right now printing random stuff to get the hang of it.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
It almost perfectly fits a 20 oz Yeti cup. I didn’t measure it but if the top was flared out a few more mm it would fit perfect.

Thanks for the tips West. I am a complete noob when it comes to 3D printing so the advice is appreciated. I’ll setup a thick wall profile and try it again sometime. I’m really just burning filament right now printing random stuff to get the hang of it.
A lot of printers have different tolerances so I've modeled all my stuff with my printer in mind... it sort of sucks because it makes it harder for other people to print exactly like I intended but it is what it is.

I added 3mm to the top and 1mm to the bottom, the updated models are attached. I also made one with and without the cable paths for those who don't need them.

Attachments

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I made a new cup holder that's meant to hold your phone too... it does not have the tunnels underneath because I plan on installing it ahead of the gear selector. I have not test this print yet, and it's made for a pretty beefy iPhone with case... use/print at your own discretion. I made a little bendy tab on the phone pocket to help keep it in.

@Goblin Graber you may be interested in this one too? It also uses the larger format already built into it in from the above feedback.

1.PNG

Attachments

Peregrinus

I made a new cup holder that's meant to hold your phone too... it does not have the tunnels underneath because I plan on installing it ahead of the gear selector. I have not test this print yet, and it's made for a pretty beefy iPhone with case... use/print at your own discretion. I made a little bendy tab on the phone pocket to help keep it in.

@Goblin Graber you may be interested in this one too? It also uses the larger format already built into it in from the above feedback.

View attachment 20284
This is pretty awesome, you should do one with the feet too. What are the dimensions in the iphone? I wonder if this would fit a samsung note series phone too. I'd definitely make one. What are the dimensions of your phone you used?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
This is pretty awesome, you should do one with the feet too. What are the dimensions in the iphone? I wonder if this would fit a samsung note series phone too. I'd definitely make one. What are the dimensions of your phone you used?
The interior of the phone box is 90mm x 15.5mm without consideration of the filleted corners impact. Different 3D printers handle tolerances differently so I added in about 1mm of extra width on everything.

I am working on some bigger stuff but here are a couple of other parts I have made that fit on any build.

Brake line brackets because I didn't want to screw in a clamp into the frame, one for the passenger side and a different one for drivers.
brake line bracket drivers.PNGbrake line bracket pass.PNGbrake line bracket.PNG
Coolant hose bracket to keep it away from the supercharger and the belt.
coolant bracket cad.PNGcoolant bracket.PNG

Attachments