Custom STL Files for 3D Printed Goblin Parts

kalishek

Sweet layout. Wonder what track length on full layout? Looks like it can be run in several different configurations. Maybe a private motorsports club for high rollers?
KAL

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I’ve been working a lot lately with printing light diffusion materials, transparent filaments, and layering. This is the final prototype on my nametag design. It took a bit of work to get the technique down, as well as form factor and weight to minimum. I’ve also embedded NFC tag in it, so when you hold a cellphone up to it, it takes you to the business website.

I’m using a transparent holographic cut vinyl underlay; the background actually changes color depending on the viewing angle. It also makes for numerous custom color options.

I’m thinking this could evolve to a design for a lighted Goblin license plate frame, or even a backlit logo inlay anywhere else on the car.

This design carries over to application of industrial polymers and vinyls that would be UV resistant and very resilient in an automotive application.

AB42A8F3-E444-4EEC-A7A0-76AEDF795ABF.jpeg
F06D68CD-137C-450D-8024-3DE7706141BF.jpeg
EEB02DE9-1A7F-4C51-B544-A58DE0406EFE.jpeg
B34E14B6-A800-4B62-9BE5-0D054D4A763D.jpeg
03C949E7-60F7-4D1F-A0C6-CF461ED039E4.jpeg
C7981E30-5422-4C85-847A-E9DFA6DA759C.jpeg

PaulPerger

I’ve been working a lot lately with printing light diffusion materials, transparent filaments, and layering. This is the final prototype on my nametag design. It took a bit of work to get the technique down, as well as form factor and weight to minimum. I’ve also embedded NFC tag in it, so when you hold a cellphone up to it, it takes you to the business website.

I’m using a transparent holographic cut vinyl underlay; the background actually changes color depending on the viewing angle. It also makes for numerous custom color options.

I’m thinking this could evolve to a design for a lighted Goblin license plate frame, or even a backlit logo inlay anywhere else on the car.

This design carries over to application of industrial polymers and vinyls that would be UV resistant and very resilient in an automotive application.

View attachment 33854View attachment 33855View attachment 33856View attachment 33857View attachment 33858View attachment 33859
Very Cool! That would be an awesome name tag to wear at a sales convention or trade show. It would certainly grab the attention of passersby.

Be sure to let us know if this is something you are going to make available to the general public. I have guys at trade shows several times every year. I'd be interested!

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Very Cool! That would be an awesome name tag to wear at a sales convention or trade show. It would certainly grab the attention of passersby.

Be sure to let us know if this is something you are going to make available to the general public. I have guys at trade shows several times every year. I'd be interested!
I’ve trialed it at a local small business group meet up, and its proven to be super effective, lol. The complexity of manufacture also keeps me from ever needing a patent.

I have the procedural manufacturing process ironed out to where I can produce enough volume to satisfy demand.

I plan to print the final production case assembly from nylon carbon fiber, which I have not prototyped yet. These won’t be cheap (due to need for CAD logo design time), but they will carry a full lifetime warranty. Either way its a business write-off for the purchaser. I’ll keep you posted.

0C455722-B559-40B8-AAEC-0A0F75C6220F.jpeg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I am in the middle of trying to get all of my filaments into sealed containers, in order to avoid any potential for humidity to affect the more hygroscopic filaments. With that involves printing 30 roller assemblies
for the filament spools.

My 5Pro has been underextruding and printing like **** lately. I got up this morning and rechecked the extruder steps… Was back to factory settings. I guess the eprom got dumped at some point.

I decided to just bite the bullet and figure out how to write my own firmware. I got that figured out in a couple of hours. I loaded the firmware, and still was having problems with the bed level sensor not being recognized. This is where you gotta start becoming an internet sleuth, and using deductive reasoning. If it is not a common problem on the internet, you need to start looking at other causes.

Was not an entirely common issue, but I figured out that the mainboard version of my printer was in between some bed level sensor transitions, and it was not wired in a way this firmware was set up. I re-wired the BL sensor to current specs, and voila; worked great.

I’m now printing reliably within 1/10th of a mm in all three axis, as well as walls. I upped my extruder max temp in this new firmware, so I will also be able to start printing carbon fiber nylon parts. I plan to print all of the Goblin parts I design from Carbon fiber nylon from here on out.

8E88F64E-88EA-4C30-8C70-4B15F8C6E513.jpeg
2A446EC8-6DBB-4B09-A66F-960FF9E3FF0A.jpeg
46FDFCFB-06AE-4EB5-9A39-4CCF3C900267.jpeg
FB14CBAA-C8C8-4A22-BCEF-917348E114A2.jpeg
D66163B0-14E4-4AD7-8C55-687E4BE6BC26.jpeg
A590AA07-F77A-4217-8AF3-57D646E6A661.jpeg
6F9CE925-9F5D-486C-BFA8-730EA05B7A0A.jpeg

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
@Brian74 Take a look at Klipper if you haven't already. Klipper allows you to offload the processing from your main board to the device you're using (I use an Intel NUC). In many cases that's going from 8bits to 64 which is huge - no longer missing steps! It also has the added benefit of easy firmware flashing and just about all of the flexibility that Marlin and other firmwares have. It's been a valuable upgrade in many ways beyond what's mentioned above for my printing.

If it looks good, install it with kiauh as it's a pain to do any other way.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Question for the 3D printers here. I'm about to order a few items from CloudCraft and the second step ask what % end fills I want. I have no idea what this means, can someone point me to what this is and what I may need?

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Infill is the percentage of the object that's actually plastic/whatever. So 50% infill, the inside of an object is 50% air, 50% plastic. Higher infill is stronger, but heavier and takes more material and longer to print. Different infill techniques also provide different strength benefits.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Overkill probably. For perspective, I think the supports that hold my wing (fill the gap between DF mounts and my wing mounts) are like 50% infill. You can probably get away with much lower. If they're not load bearing at all I would say 20%, but I'm no expert.

Chubbs

Has anyone made a keychain for the goblin yet? Or does DF Sell one? Seems like a missed opportunity if not, but I can't find one in the store.

I was going to design and 3d print one, but thought I'd ask if anyone else has done it first. I didn't find anything in a search.