Cutting Lexan/Polycarbonate for windshield

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I went with DF's tall windshield, and it's obvious that it's to tall for summer use. I think I'm going to try and cut my own. For those that have cut curves in polycarbonate, what have you been using? If jigsaw, what are the details of the blade you used?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

You want more teeth on the blade to take smaller chips.

Ross

Goblin Guru
It will work well. Watch for heat melting of the polycarbonate. I had a little melt burr on the final edge of the polycarbonate, but it removed pretty easily when cool.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Just cut mine the other day with a T102BF Bosch plexiglass blade from Home Depot with a jigsaw and it looks minty fresh. I didn't even need tape to mitigate tear-out.

You can also sand it with >= 500grit with good results.

Use a utility blade to score the windscreen where you want to cut. Makes the cleanup a lot easier compared to a sharpie/marker

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I'm w Thenuker and used a metal hight tooth count.... but now that a minute ago I learned that there is a special blade for it.... gota have one!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, I used a bandsaw on my polycarbonate prototype windshield.
The 4 windshields just came in the mail today. The little sheet at the top is the scrap piece left over from my prototype, and the white is
the protective coating on the TUFFAK AR2 (Abrasion Resistant, 2 sides) UV protected sheets, 2 feet x 5 feet. I still have 1 sheet for sale.

jayrolls

Yes, I used a bandsaw on my polycarbonate prototype windshield.
The 4 windshields just came in the mail today. The little sheet at the top is the scrap piece left over from my prototype, and the white is
the protective coating on the TUFFAK AR2 (Abrasion Resistant, 2 sides) UV protected sheets, 2 feet x 5 feet. I still have 1 sheet for sale.
View attachment 25543
PM sent.