Cutting the Engine Cover, for us SS/TC'ers

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
So, how is best to go about getting the engine cover marked and cut to clear the turbo intercooler? I know several of us are building TC's and this procedure is approaching fast.

Thanks in advance for any tips on this. I'd rather not spoil my engine cover!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Even though I don't have one anymore, I'd like to know. We cut our hood with a jig saw and the blade was shot before six inches of a cut. What blade do you use.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I have a naked engine, so no help today.

There are some visual references though:

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I used a body saw with a 24tpi blade to trim my footwell cover when I installed it the other day.

95Blitz

Use one of these cut off wheel and then these for the corners Dremel diamond is the best way to cut fiberglass and carbon fiber. Oh don't forget to use your covid mask and a goggles.

Last edited:

JPas914

I used a dremel and several cheap cut off wheels. Then, I took a ton of measurements, drank a few beers and got to cutting. I used the center line on my engine cover as a reference point for my measurements, I also figured where that centerline would be on the frame. Once I had the cover split, and saw that it wasn’t trash, I felt way better.

Goblin Guru
Sounds like this is a "measure 50 times, cut once" scenario .... or perhaps also a "man up and cut the bastard" scenario.

Thanks guys for the pointers! I'll be putting this off for a while yet, anyway.

Motoracer110

You could use the ol lipstick method. Outline the intercooler with lipstick then stamp your hood for perfect alignment. It’s the only way I know how to mark and cutout sockets through drywall :cool:

Indy Lonnie

Start with the centerline of the charge pipe and slowly start making cuts from there... Also remove the bottom rear portion, it will make it soooo much easier to remove and install the panels. I cut mine even with the mounting brackets to the cage. The cut at the front of the intercooler will not be as much as you think. The intercooler angles down and will not need to be cut as much. I cut too much off, not a big deal but it could have been better.
IMG_4782.jpg
IMG_4783.jpg

JPas914

I left the lip on mine, just cut it back a bit. I wanted to hide my license plate lights up under it. Plus it was a perfect place for me to mount a third brake light. It’s a bit of a pain to get in place, but removing the charge pipe helps.

Attachments

JPas914

Sounds like this is a "measure 50 times, cut once" scenario .... or perhaps also a "man up and cut the bastard" scenario.

Thanks guys for the pointers! I'll be putting this off for a while yet, anyway.
Pretty much. Just take your time and you’ll be alright.

MisterDave

I am guessing that these 4 holes are there for when I cut the cover? Did you guys use something to bolt them together here?

Goblin Guru
This is what you're looking for. My kit did not ship with one, I had to reach out to DF after the fact to get one. It's also not itemized on the label on the pictured baggie.

20200729_164804.jpg

JPas914

A thin piece of steel from any hardware store works too, cut it into a square big enough to fit all 4 holes and then drill them out.