Deploying air bags

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I searched, but didn’t really find anything on this.

If you bought a cobalt that the air bags are not deployed and always wanted to see an air bag fire off without the consequences of a wreck, have some fun setting them off. :D The nice things about air bags is they are very safe, until its go time. It’s the only system that doesn't have positive or negative going to it until it’s time for deployment. When you disconnect the yellow connectors, you’ll even notice an odd bar inside the connector. This is a shorting bar that keeps static electricity from accidentally deploying them.

So if you want to deploy all of them or at least one (hell you gotta have some fun), here’s the easiest way. Disconnect the yellow connector at the air bag. Cut the yellow connector on the harness. Splice in your wires to the connector, long enough to get you out of the way. Plug in the yellow connector (to move the shorting bar into correct position). Set up in a safe area to see and make your connections. Take the car battery and connect the red wire to positive, then when everyone is ready, touch the black wire to negative. o_O
something like this:

Here’s a harness I made for work, if I need to deploy them before I disassemble a truck.

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I would never buy a used air bag and knowing some of the history of this vehicle (rebuilt title) I wouldn’t trust the air bags in there, so I have the piece of mind that I set them off for my enjoyment over “will they actually work” in a real situation saving someone’s life.

The car had a ton of SRS codes, I’m actually surprised they went off. I deployed the pass one too, which is where all the body damage was. I’ll set off the front ones sometime, when I have friends over.

ToxicBill

I was actually disappointed as I found out my Cobalt didn't have side airbags b/c i wanted to do the same thing! I still have the driver and passenger airbags, so some fun to still be had.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Odd. I would figure if one had them, they all had them. No biggie. You can still have fun with the others. :cool: Don’t forget to set up cameras. One on slow-mo if you have that feature.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Now I need to check my 06 Cobalt SS SC for side airbags... I wonder if it is only on "well dressed" models. My didn't have the G85 LSD differential, so it isn't the upper model.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Not sure. If you pull the headliner down, by the door you should see the wrapped up bag. They go all the way back to the back deck where the deployment module is with a yellow connector attached.

Ross

Goblin Guru
No side airbags in my donor. Your donor was better equipped. Guess I won't be moving any side air bags into my Goblin, or having fun with extra pyrotechnics.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Don't worry Ross, I have 4 more air bags I am bringing for Russel to blow up. The guy just needs his explosive itch scratched..... ;)