Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Thanks Ross. Trying use my cell phone to do most of my posts doesn't work out the best most times. Probably the reason the contest rules got messed up.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I received some more goodies I've ordered - can't do anything else, just too **** hot - so EBay and Amazon have been getting some of my business. Lots of chrome parts - mirrors, turn signals, tail lights - that match up perfectly with my chrome headlights (old school cool :cool:), along with some cooling system fittings, gauges to monitor air temp (pre and post intercooler) and the intercooler coolant temp, and some aerodynamic parts (thanks Jim) ;). My storage shelves are getting full and I don't have a Goblin to mount them to yet - still a frame in progress. :rolleyes:

I keep seeing kits ordered around the time I ordered/received my kit that are on the road, I'm happy to all of my fellow builders for their successes. I just have to keep reminding myself this is a marathon for me and not a sprint for my build, to take the setbacks in stride (weather especially right now), and that I can't be in a hurry to accomplish the vision of my end goal. I will get there eventually, I just know I still have a long ways to go and I will join the ranks of those who took a few years to get there. :D

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I keep seeing kits ordered around the time I ordered/received my kit that are on the road, I'm happy to all of my fellow builders for their successes. I just have to keep reminding myself this is a marathon for me and not a sprint for my build, to take the setbacks in stride (weather especially right now), and that I can't be in a hurry to accomplish the vision of my end goal. I will get there eventually, I just know I still have a long ways to go and I will join the ranks of those who took a few years to get there. :D
We just looked done-ish, our car is in pieces again. We were slamming things together violently to make that race. We are now going back through and building it closer to the way I had envisioned.

You are going to have a bunch of innovative details that will give you the "very cool" factor. Cooler weather will be here..... some day. We spent last week in Colorado and came home and found that they have moved hell.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
It'll be all the sweeter once you get there. It took me from the beginning of April 2019 through the end of August 2019 to strip my two donors, then I put my order in for stage 1, received right before Thanksgiving. Then I had to deal with the hiatus you're having now: when it's too cold/hot to get anything done. Fortunately, I had the winter to work through my harness. It really came together quick once I had the engine started for the first time and had stages 2 and 3 in-hand. I'm not done yet, but I way overprojected how long it would take to build the car, saying this in my original build thread:

Cost is an issue. As such, I plan to stretch this project out over a few years. I'm targeting summer of 2022 as my finish date; that way, there's not too much pressure to get everything ordered and paid for ASAP.
So I'm offering my words of encouragement: you'll get there when you get there, and you'll have one SWEET Goblin once you arrive!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Braving the record heat here in Arizona (35 days and counting at 110* or higher :eek:) I finally got around to modifying the brake booster mount to accept the 7 inch single diaphragm one I purchased quite a while ago. Had to weld shut the 'metric' booster mounting holes in the pedal assy and frame bracket to re-drill for the standard GM 'universal' 4 bolt mounting pattern, which is wider by 1/4 inch.

This new booster is 3 inches smaller in diameter than the Cobalt booster, weighs significantly less and will accept many different brake master cylinders - which can be better matched to the Goblin braking requirements. It also has more under hood clearance for the cockpit air vent mods I made to the underside of the hood. I haven't decided the brake master cylinder yet, but looking at some aluminum Corvette disc/disc units - with chrome cap. ;)

Attachments

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Braving the record heat here in Arizona (35 days and counting at 110* or higher :eek:) I finally got around to modifying the brake booster mount to accept the 7 inch single diaphragm one I purchased quite a while ago. Had to weld shut the 'metric' booster mounting holes in the pedal assy and frame bracket to re-drill for the standard GM 'universal' 4 bolt mounting pattern, which is wider by 1/4 inch.

This new booster is 3 inches smaller in diameter than the Cobalt booster, weighs significantly less and will accept many different brake master cylinders - which can be better matched to the Goblin braking requirements. It also has more under hood clearance for the cockpit air vent mods I made to the underside of the hood. I haven't decided the brake master cylinder yet, but looking at some aluminum Corvette disc/disc units - with chrome cap. ;)
Yesterday I told Kenny "wow, it's kinda nice out today". It was 103. 6 more weeks. We can do this.

Tim, do you plan on doing some type of proportioning devise? We have problems locking the front. Mostly the left front. The boys said it is super easy to press the brakes, but I want to wait until I have hand controls in it before we start changing things.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Here is the photo from a previous post showing the difference in booster size. http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/desert-sasqwatch-track-extended-08-ss-tc-lnf-f40.1003/post-21631

Jim, yes I do have a proportion valve that I can install to make the front to rear balance correct, once I get to that point. As you can see my frame is still bare and I am still doing a bunch of welding, among other things. I'm fairly confident going from a 10 inch dual diaphragm booster to a 7 inch single diaphragm booster will make a difference in the pedal feel and allow for better pedal modulation before brake lockup. Plus the master cylinder will play into this and I'm still collecting info on this before pulling the trigger to buy one.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Anyone needing a functional brake booster from a Cobalt donor (TC, although I believe it fits all models?) let me know. It's time to pay it forward again to any fellow builder in need of one.

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
What's the humidity out where you are? It's a consistent 95-100 degrees here in SC but almost always over 90% humidity, which is comically unbearable I think.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
What's the humidity out where you are? It's a consistent 95-100 degrees here in SC but almost always over 90% humidity, which is comically unbearable I think.
Oh, don't even go there with the "oh, but it's a dry heat", I've done both. You put a fan on out south and it feels like a fun day on th e lake skiing, there is no relief above 115. If I knew how to make money in Chattanooga , I'd live there again.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Well, you know what they say... "It's not the heat that gets you, it's the humidity".

In my opinion, dry heat is much more tolerable than highish temps with 80-100% humidity. No amount of fans makes 100% humidity feel like a fun day at the lake unless you're in the lake itself lol

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I’m same as Mayor West, it’s 95-100 with 100% humidity here and it’s a swamp. Hell, the mornings where it’s 80 and 100% humidity are bad enough. I have been to Vegas in July where it was 117 everyday and I loved it.

I work in a shop all day, so I’m use to the heat, but this is the part of the year where I’m done with it.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hmm, 100% humidity would equate to its raining really hard or its very foggy. We have this thing called monsoon season out here in the southwest where the dew point is the telling factor for the no comfort index. We get temps of 110, 115 and 120 degrees this time of year with dew points of 60 to 70 - making it feel like you are standing in hell itself where it can feel like 130 degrees and more - in the shade. Add in that the sun is 3 feet above your head and any breeze feels like a blow dryer set on high in your face.

I have plenty of experience with hot (100) and humid (70-80 degree actual dew points), where you do nothing but sweat and it doesn't evaporate. But when it is 118 degrees everything you touch outside is 118 degrees in the shade, if it is in the sun you will leave the skin from your fingers on it. The only places I've been to that are hotter - but less humid - is the Sahara in Egypt and Saudi Arabia, both visited in August.

Mid-June to Mid-September is our hibernation season down here in the desert. And yes 117 is tolerable when you have AC and a swimming pool, but you will not be out in the sun for very long - not alive anyway. So this is my weather facts report from Phoenix taking up more trivial space in my build log. :D:cool:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I admire those that can handle the heat and humidity. I'm just too fat to be able to deal with it anymore. People think I'm crazy because I like winter and the cold weather.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I admire those that can handle the heat and humidity. I'm just too fat to be able to deal with it anymore. People think I'm crazy because I like winter and the cold weather.
I personally love late autumn and winter. My favorite times of year, as long as the snow stays in check. Some is ok, a lot is bogus.

Oh, and FOOTBALL!

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I used to not mind the heat here in Az, but the older I get, the harder it feels to acclimate to it. I also sweat 20x more than the average person so I literally have to chug water all day long and walk around in sweat drenched clothes from head to toe. Humidity or not; it makes no difference for me.

To answer Chad's question; this place is AMAZING to live from September - April and I wouldn't trade that for anything.