Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Does anyone think the Cobalt subframe is way too heavy? In my wandering engineering mind, why can't the heavy subframe be replaced with a structural tube frame? This opens up a lot of possibilities for an altered or different rear suspension and could be designed to allow for a decent rear diffuser to create some decent down force - to go with the fully flat floor pan. It would definitely by lighter. :cool:
Yes and we could easily lower our engine another inch without it in the way.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Weather alert: 53 days of 100 degrees or more, 32 days of 110 degrees or more, the average daily temperature (not high temp, but the average of daytime and nighttime temps) was 98 degrees for this summer in Phoenix (Memorial Day to Labor Day). AND THE HOT WEATHER AIN'T DONE YET, IT'S ANOTHER 100 PLUS DAY TODAY! :eek:o_O So the total now stands at 57 days of 100 degrees or more for 2020 and counting. I think I need some pool time! :cool: Pictures are in the works if it EVER cools off.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Weather alert: 53 days of 100 degrees or more, 32 days of 110 degrees or more, the average daily temperature (not high temp, but the average of daytime and nighttime temps) was 98 degrees for this summer in Phoenix (Memorial Day to Labor Day). AND THE HOT WEATHER AIN'T DONE YET, IT'S ANOTHER 100 PLUS DAY TODAY! :eek:o_O So the total now stands at 57 days of 100 degrees or more for 2020 and counting. I think I need some pool time! :cool: Pictures are in the works if it EVER cools off.
I melted just reading that......

Fozda

Goblin Guru
OOF that's hot! I dislike winter but I don't think I could deal with that much heat! It was a nice 42 degrees Sunday morning during the 40 minute drive to Autocross.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I miss the upper Midwest weather at this time of year, with the cool mornings and mildly warm afternoons. Loved to drive up to Monroe or New Glarus or even Mt. Horeb to get a good beer and brats, then swing by Albany on our way back to stop at the Amish bakery to stock up on several loaves of bread, pasteries and a pound of butter. :D

Last edited:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I miss the upper Midwest weather at this time of year, with the cool mornings and mildly warm afternoons. Loved to drive up to Monroe or New Glarus or even My. Horeb to get a good beer and brats, then swing by Albany on our way back to stop at the Amish bakery to stock up on several loaves of bread, pasteries and a pound of butter. :D
Sounds like my day yesterday, 10 hours total and 370 miles round-trip, just to get a beer and a brat. I was on my motorcycle though because I've got the my goblin slightly disassembled to make templates for a dash and floormats.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm so jealous. It's about 1800 miles and 22 hours one way to the best beer and brats in the country from my front door. :confused::confused::confused::confused:
EDIT: In case anyone is wondering where this magical location is: Baumgartner's in Monroe Wisconsin. They also have the best 'Big Stinky' in Cheddarland too. ;)

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Your food post actually made me abruptly leave the house to go eat at the new philly cheesesteak joint that just opened up. I was friggin starving.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ok, time for the guessing to begin for #1 the number of speedholes?, #2 the weight added from the extra steel tubes/braces/plates?, and #3 the total weight removed for just the holes in the factory frame?
Do not count the holes or weight of the Cobalt subframe or the modded motor mounts (this will come later), but do include the modified radiator support.
The photos should be pretty high resolution enough to zoom in, every hole drilled is seen in at least one of the photos. Speed holes are drilled in 4 sizes - 5/8, 9/16, 1/2, and 7/16 inch diameters.
Bonus guess, how many drill bits did I go through to complete this?
No Goblins were maimed or killed during the execution of this activity and is the result of too many weekend visits from Racer X. (It was very hot and he was delirious at times)
Good luck and have fun. :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
So far, Jim (Torchandregdoc) is closest on hole count - getting warm - and Ross is closest on weight added and weight removed - also warm. :) Anyone else with a guess or two?

Anks329

Sounds like my day yesterday, 10 hours total and 370 miles round-trip, just to get a beer and a brat. I was on my motorcycle though because I've got the my goblin slightly disassembled to make templates for a dash and floormats.
Oh man, Highway 2 in the Goblin to Levenworth must have been awesome! I’m looking forward to that ride hopefully soon

Classy

I know this is just going to make some of y’all roll your eyes fueling desert’s fire. But seeing these pictures has really helped me visualize how I am going to remake the cobalt subframe. I will make 2 so desert can have one to add some holes too

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Oh man, Highway 2 in the Goblin to Levenworth must have been awesome! I’m looking forward to that ride hopefully soon
I haven't taken the trip in the Goblin yet because I had my interior taken apart for finishing touches. I was on my Triumph this time. Hit me up when you decide to make the run though, and we'll make it a cruise-in.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Anks and K. since you're on here, how about some guesses for the contest. :D We always like seeing/hearing about cool rides too! Post some pics in your log so we can see all of the mountains, forest and switchbacks - cause that's some beautiful Sasquatch country up there!