Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Still need to resize/adjust the mount tabs, it will be about 1.5 inches lower, but will still have airflow over both the upper and lower surfaces of the wing - so it works properly to create down force. Without airflow over both sides of the wing, no downward 'lift' is created and only minimal down force is created by the upper surface acting as a flat spoiler - like NASCAR - and not a wing - like Formula 1.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Another cooler weekend in Phoenix, finally looks like our 100 degree temps are behind us, after having 146 days (that's not a typo) of 100 degrees or more this year. :eek:o_O

Last weekend I moved the wing mount, this weekend I fabricated new tail light mounts - specific to my not-DF chrome brake lights - and removed the stock tail light and wing mount brackets. That's another pound off the back end of the car. Some weld clean up and these will be finished.

Onto my next mod. :cool:

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Another weekend of mods, fabbed up a bracket to mount a Tilton triple remote reservoir - thanks Optimizeprime for the info on this upgrade to the stock reservoir. I built the mount to bolt up to the back of the gauge panel brackets. It will be centered up out of the way and have plenty of fluid head to keep the brake and clutch cylinders filled with fluid - even going uphill (which we have a lot of out here in AZ) at launch velocities. :p

Next up is a dash panel - Brian74 inspired, but more analog (old school) look with individual gauges, not so USS Enterprise. ;) I plan to add some tunes to my Goblin and I have been reviewing what others have done with their head unit and speakers. I will have to think about this to minimize space and maximize sound output into the cockpit, since a dash panel in a Goblin is not very big.

Attachments

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Looking good! I know there are some marine amps out there that can accept a bluetooth signal if you decide not to use a head unit.

Classy

I am seriously considering the Bluetooth route, use the phone as the interface and bump along.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'll be using an amp with Bluetooth built in, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about speakers yet.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
So many options for a car stereo from a traditional dash mounted head unit to a fully Bluetooth enabled system that is completely hidden away. Speakers will be the biggest issue, since there is little space inside a Goblin - and I and my passenger may not necessarily be wearing a helmet very often (although there are some nice sounding helmet speakers :)).
I'm leaning toward a hidden amp with a remote interface plate that is small enough to be mounted on the dash. This one from secret audio is nice, my neighbor has this in his Polaris Razor with 2 pairs of pod speakers.
The standard pod speakers are very bulky and take up a lot needed knee and legroom under the dash and would look rather silly mounted to the Goblin roll bar. I guess I will have to be creative and fab up something to my liking that is space efficient. ;)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Look into motorcycle audio Stuff. There’s tons out there. Here’s an example. -no clue on sound quality or reliability-

I used something similar on my Rzr and it was plenty loud enough and sound quality was decent. Nothing to write home about.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Another weekend of mods, fabbed up a bracket to mount a Tilton triple remote reservoir - thanks Optimizeprime for the info on this upgrade to the stock reservoir. I built the mount to bolt up to the back of the gauge panel brackets. It will be centered up out of the way and have plenty of fluid head to keep the brake and clutch cylinders filled with fluid - even going uphill (which we have a lot of out here in AZ) at launch velocities. :p

Next up is a dash panel - Brian74 inspired, but more analog (old school) look with individual gauges, not so USS Enterprise. ;) I plan to add some tunes to my Goblin and I have been reviewing what others have done with their head unit and speakers. I will have to think about this to minimize space and maximize sound output into the cockpit, since a dash panel in a Goblin is not very big.
Look at NOAM for audio https://www.noamaudio.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlvT8BRDeARIsAACRFiUwwS99RKe80625jIwX3SYclj88H6Et-zlYvJgja_Jlh9d6xtjKjUwaAsZbEALw_wcB I put their 5" in my SXS pushing 100 watts through a NVX amp and the sound quality is unreal. For my Goblin I think I am just going to go with their 3" or 4" kit with the Bluetooth receiver and amp.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
For those who may need the information:
I purposely angled my seats in toward the center of the car by 3-4 degrees and angled my steering wheel about 3-4 degrees toward the outside. After test fitting my seats, before welding in my seat rails, I found this slight angle was much more comfortable for my legs when resting on the pedals and holding the steering wheel, than being straight forward and having to sit angled in the seat. Angling the steering a like amount puts the steering wheel centered on the seat and equals out the reach for both arms.
My seat rails were a no-brainer to drill them offset by 1/2 inch - outside rail versus inside rail - to accommodate the seat angle. For the steering box mount, I slotted the forward and rear bracket holes about 3/16 inch to allow for the assembly to be slanted. The photos show how these are angled.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Look at NOAM for audio https://www.noamaudio.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlvT8BRDeARIsAACRFiUwwS99RKe80625jIwX3SYclj88H6Et-zlYvJgja_Jlh9d6xtjKjUwaAsZbEALw_wcB I put their 5" in my SXS pushing 100 watts through a NVX amp and the sound quality is unreal. For my Goblin I think I am just going to go with their 3" or 4" kit with the Bluetooth receiver and amp.
I'm kind of an audio snob. I had a home sound system, set up for 4-channel stereo and 7.2 surround sound, that would put some movie theaters to shame - 1600 watts rms at 8 ohms, and not that switching amp stuff that is sold today, but class A and A/B transformer amplification with 12 separate amplification channels. 4 'main' floor speakers, 2 satellite speakers, center channel speaker and dual subwoofers (9 cu.ft. cabinets tuned to 25Hz).
Movie time and just wanting to hear great music clean (and loud) were experiences at my house. So my choices of music equipment are pretty picky and I won't buy anything unless I can hear it first - or get to hear it with the option to return it if it doesn't live up to standards.
Getting this level of sound quality within the limited space and open environment of the Goblin will be a real challenge, and it may not be possible to achieve. So I will be researching for a while to see what's available, but may end up with something not for sale as a configuration in the market and building speaker enclosures that will fit the Goblin - and maximize audio quality. :D

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I'm kind of an audio snob. I had a home sound system, set up for 4-channel stereo and 7.2 surround sound, that would put some movie theaters to shame - 1600 watts rms at 8 ohms, and not that switching amp stuff that is sold today, but class A and A/B transformer amplification with 12 separate amplification channels. 4 'main' floor speakers, 2 satellite speakers, center channel speaker and dual subwoofers (9 cu.ft. cabinets tuned to 25Hz).
Movie time and just wanting to hear great music clean (and loud) were experiences at my house. So my choices of music equipment are pretty picky and I won't buy anything unless I can hear it first - or get to hear it with the option to return it if it doesn't live up to standards.
Getting this level of sound quality within the limited space and open environment of the Goblin will be a real challenge, and it may not be possible to achieve. So I will be researching for a while to see what's available, but may end up with something not for sale as a configuration in the market and building speaker enclosures that will fit the Goblin - and maximize audio quality. :D
I hear ya, I built my own setup for my SXS just used their tower speakers. Wet Sounds head unit, NVX 600 watt 4 ch amp JBL Stadium series 10" Sub in a custom built enclosure to fit between the seats. I need to add a mono block 400 watt amp for just the sub,,,,, It sounds amazing but I have the amp turned down to about 1/4 so the sub is not drowned out by the tower speakers. Just to give you an idea my $200 5" NOAMs on my $120 NVX micro amp sound way better than my sons $800 Wet Sounds tower speakers on a high dollar monster amp in his surf boat! IMO they are the best sounding inexpensive UTV speaker I have heard. All my buddies with sound systems in their SXSs have Rockford, MTX, ect and they dont hold a candle to these....... In reality I souldnt even be thinking of a sound system when I havnt even stripped the donor yet!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I don't know how you could ever possible be happy with anything in the Goblin with those standards. I don't mean it in a negative manner, I have fairly high standards in my audio systems also (nothing to that degree). But open air, good luck with any kind of low end support. And going down the road, you would have to crank the heck out of it just to know it's on much less actually sound good with the wind noise. I know I'm going to get flamed here, but there is no way an open air system going down the road is going to sound worth it. Kaleb wanted to install a system but I wasn't having it knowing the disappointment in the outcome. If it's all midrange, no thanks.

Now a really good in-helmet system or earbuds that kill the wind noise would work.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I don't know how you could ever possible be happy with anything in the Goblin with those standards. I don't mean it in a negative manner, I have fairly high standards in my audio systems also (nothing to that degree). But open air, good luck with any kind of low end support. And going down the road, you would have to crank the heck out of it just to know it's on much less actually sound good with the wind noise. I know I'm going to get flamed here, but there is no way an open air system going down the road is going to sound worth it. Kaleb wanted to install a system but I wasn't having it knowing the disappointment in the outcome. If it's all midrange, no thanks.

Now a really good in-helmet system or earbuds that kill the wind noise would work.
I run 60 down the road in my Teryx speakers are up n the wind on the roll cage Engine is between the seats (very loud) and I can here it fine. But I would agree with you I use mine more for the destination than the journey.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I have experience with my Jeep for open air sound and limited space. I'm on my second system now, which is way better than stock, but I'm working on version three to take the next step towards better sound. Version three will go to 9 speakers from 5, larger sub more strategically placed, and 5 channel amp with 4 channel head unit output - about 550 watts rms at 4 ohms. It sounds fantastic on the bench, just need to get the right speaker enclosures and mounting setup. My current system is good up to about 60 mph, but wind and tire noise get too high above that for decent sound quality. A Jeep is pretty much a brick aerodynamically and with mud tires it is inevitable that noise will exceed the comfort level - I rarely drive over 65 mph because of this. The Goblin will also be a challenge.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I’m an audio snob as well. Have a modest system in my car but a decent Atmos system at home. My sandrail has a non-amplified system in it that is hardly audible over the engine noise. Its more of a novelty than anything unless you start running massive amps, and then it becomes loud enough to annoy everyone else around. I figure either way, its nice to have music when sitting around at car shows. I’ve always been a fan of Polk speakers. Will be running a marine series on mine thru a small amp.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I have experience with my Jeep for open air sound and limited space. I'm on my second system now, which is way better than stock, but I'm working on version three to take the next step towards better sound. Version three will go to 9 speakers from 5, larger sub more strategically placed, and 5 channel amp with 4 channel head unit output - about 550 watts rms at 4 ohms. It sounds fantastic on the bench, just need to get the right speaker enclosures and mounting setup. My current system is good up to about 60 mph, but wind and tire noise get too high above that for decent sound quality. A Jeep is pretty much a brick aerodynamically and with mud tires it is inevitable that noise will exceed the comfort level - I rarely drive over 65 mph because of this. The Goblin will also be a challenge.
What year is your Jeep? I still have a custom (easily removable) dual 8” sub enclosure and amp rack that I designed/built and ran in my TJ. Fits behind the back seat. It sounded awesome... Sold the TJ 6 years ago.

Free to good home.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
2004. Thanks for the offer. I don't have a backseat in my Jeep, I have a toolbox bolted into the rear, so my rear area is configured differently than the stock behind-the-seat space. I actually have an 8 inch sub in the stock center console location now and I am building a 10 inch enclosure. It will also fit be between the seats but in significantly larger than the stock box. I'm certain that another TJ owner will appreciate getting this sub box. :)