Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Decided on the Moroso accumulator in the 1.5 quart size for Ecotec setup for several reasons. The Moroso has proven to be a reliable accumulator with many race teams using them successfully for decades, both track and drag racing. The 3 quart size feeds a racing V8 that has an oil system with twice the volume requirements as an Ecotec, so I'm selecting the 1.5 quart model 23901 to install. If you watch the video from Moroso for the demonstration model 3 quart system, the test is performed using the 1/2 inch fittings filling and evacuating the sump. In the test the roughly 3 quarts of oil drains out in about 6-10 seconds (will depend upon the precharge air pressure) - through the 1/2 inch valve.

Typically a V8 motor will flow about 6-8 gallons of oil per minute. Doing the math, the return rate shown in the Moroso video aligns with those oil flow requirement. The required flow is between 24-32 quarts per minute or 1 quart per 2-3 seconds, so the 6-10 second flowback from the 3 quart demonstration accumulator is spot on. The Ecotec, requiring about 1/2 that volume of oil at about 3-4 gallons per minute or 1 quart per 4-6 seconds, aligns with these same oil flow requirements. Having that 6-10 seconds of reserve oil volume is likely very conservative and should be adequate to save an engine from oil starvation under most situations.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Oil filter adapter, to replace the inadequate cartridge filter, and remote filter mount came in the mail today. The DDM filter adapter is a really nicely machined piece, I will have to check fit this weekend. Next I will have to decide which oil accumulator will best fit my needs, more to come on that. :)
Checked the fit of the DDM oil filter adapter, spins into the oil filter boss threads smoother than the stock filter cap. Has plenty of clearance to the oil cooler, so no extra work needed to install. I would recommend this adapter to anyone needing better oil filtering (bigger filter, more system oil, a filter magnet can be used) and it simplifes adding an oil accumulator.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Decided on the Moroso accumulator in the 1.5 quart size for Ecotec setup for several reasons. The Moroso has proven to be a reliable accumulator with many race teams using them successfully for decades, both track and drag racing. The 3 quart size feeds a racing V8 that has an oil system with twice the volume requirements as an Ecotec, so I'm selecting the 1.5 quart model 23901 to install. If you watch the video from Moroso for the demonstration model 3 quart system, the test is performed using the 1/2 inch fittings filling and evacuating the sump. In the test the roughly 3 quarts of oil drains out in about 6-10 seconds (will depend upon the precharge air pressure) - through the 1/2 inch valve.

Typically a V8 motor will flow about 6-8 gallons of oil per minute. Doing the math, the return rate shown in the Moroso video aligns with those oil flow requirement. The required flow is between 24-32 quarts per minute or 1 quart per 2-3 seconds, so the 6-10 second flowback from the 3 quart demonstration accumulator is spot on. The Ecotec, requiring about 1/2 that volume of oil at about 3-4 gallons per minute or 1 quart per 4-6 seconds, aligns with these same oil flow requirements. Having that 6-10 seconds of reserve oil volume is likely very conservative and should be adequate to save an engine from oil starvation under most situations.

The Moroso oil accumulator has arrived today. :D It's as well made as the last one I had on my 68 SS 396 - which was a 3 quart. Unfortunately it will have to sit in a box for quite a while before I can install it, since I'm going to be in honey-do list mode for the next several months getting the house ready for sale. :(

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I finally broke down and bought one of these: steering assy from a 2006 Saturn Vue. Having the adjustable steering effort and feel is pretty much a necessity in a car as light and 'darty' as a Goblin. The stock systems steering input is far too twitchy for my taste. Just have to get it out of the donor vehicle and get it cleaned up and modified. Looks like my Cobalt steering box from my original donor will be needing a new home at some point in the not too distant future.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I finally broke down and bought one of these: steering assy from a 2006 Saturn Vue. Having the adjustable steering effort and feel is pretty much a necessity in a car as light and 'darty' as a Goblin. The stock systems steering input is far too twitchy for my taste. Just have to get it out of the donor vehicle and get it cleaned up and modified. Looks like my Cobalt steering box from my original donor will be needing a new home at some point in the not too distant future.
Are you planning to set it and forget it? I've been thinking about a setup where the variable assist is dialed up or down depending on speed.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Same reason I'm not going to manual brakes - it's a challenge. I like the idea of having variable steering effort that I can set for the driving condition, for road or track.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Not much has happened lately with my build being on the back burner. Hasn't stopped me from buying stuff though - my wife is none too happy with me. But I did get another kit built and am in the final stages of finishing it up. It was a necessity for moving...that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :D

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Paul, there is a signal box that translates the voltage from the rotary switch into something the LAN recognizes. These are on ebay for $60 shipped from Portugal - bruno-something sells them. I haven't purchased yet, still waiting for my wife to get over my buying a second steering box (when I already have a perfectly good one). :cool:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Not much has happened lately with my build being on the back burner. Hasn't stopped me from buying stuff though - my wife is none too happy with me. But I did get another kit built and am in the final stages of finishing it up. It was a necessity for moving...that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :D
I bet the build video series for the trailer was not nearly as nice as DF's...... :)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Written instructions in ChinEnglese, though not as bad as some of them I've read. Lots of interpretation and trial fitting to be certain the almost look alike pieces are in the right orientation. The pictures in the manual were somewhat helpful. I did have to make some minor modifications to improve the long-term safety with some welding in key places and a few more bolt holes that make the frame more rigid. The 2 diagonal braces I installed are key to keeping everything square. But overall it's a better trailer than I expected from HF.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Written instructions in ChinEnglese, though not as bad as some of them I've read. Lots of interpretation and trial fitting to be certain the almost look alike pieces are in the right orientation. The pictures in the manual were somewhat helpful. I did have to make some minor modifications to improve the long-term safety with some welding in key places and a few more bolt holes that make the frame more rigid. The 2 diagonal braces I installed are key to keeping everything square. But overall it's a better trailer than I expected from HF.
What??? No lightening holes????.... :p

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I did drill holes - but I put bolts into them. Not much added weight to these HF trailers that is not structural. Racer X was so disappointed. :rolleyes::cool:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Been a while since I've posted in my build log, been busy working on the honey-do list. I don't have any time to do any Goblin building between the drywall work, painting, plumbing, masonry work, (all minor touchup stuff, nothing major) and landscaping over the next few months. :(
All the garage space is filling up with packed boxes that I need to get into a storage unit close to the new house - 48 miles away. This will include the Goblin and all of the stuff from the kit and the extras I've purchased - dang I've bought a lot of stuff! :oops:
Good thing I got the trailer - my wife is coming around to the reason for that purchase now. ;)
Another good thing - I'm going to call it that - is the weather is getting hot fast this year and I won't be complaining about the 105 plus days slaving away working on drilling more speedholes. :p