Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
From my discussion with ZZP and then with their supplier - Drive Shaft Shop - this is a custom length axle for the F40 swap. It's supposedly 21 5/8 inches - compressed length.

In my searching for a short 'standard production' GM axle, the shortest I have found so far, with a swap to the the 27 spline input and 30 spline output, is 22 1/2 inches. Still longer than the ZZP swap axle, but I can use a 24 1/2 inch axle on the passenger side to match up the extended width - and make the UCAs/LCAs longer. I'm also trying to find the most heavy duty shafts too - something from a V8 or SC V6 - to hopefully get close to the Cobalt TC axles.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
More CADboard mockup for a double width NACA duct:
20220913_120321.jpg

20220913_104155.jpg

This will be rendered in fiberglass and replace the steel duct/plate that I had previously welded onto the radiator support bracket:
20220913_121241.jpg

I will be fabricating an aluminum plate with an integral splitter to replace this plate and incorporate the NACA duct into this new aluminum plate, directly under the radiator, to funnel air into the auxiliary cooler that I've discussed in a previous post:
20220913_103735.jpg

20220913_103807.jpg

And yes, that's a Frosted Flakes box. :D

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Just one more thing in a long list of things (that always seems to be growing o_O) to complete. My wife just shakes her head every time I break out the welder, grinder or fiberglass since it usually means I'm off another tangent that will cost more money and time to get this car built. :eek: She still loves me most days, would hope so after 40 years of putting up with me. :cool:

And thanks Tony!!!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
While I'm bored (NOT!) waiting on materials to show up, I broke out the CADboard to play with a valve cover channel cover idea:
View attachment 35472View attachment 35473
It would be made of fiberglass, so no chance of electrical issue with the spark plug coils. Just another thing to occupy my time tinkering until I get the rear suspension fully designed and fabricated. :cool:
Got the channel cover fabbed up and fiberglassed, it fits nicely.
20220925_074550.jpg

Also completed fiberglassing the NACA scoop to replace the steel one I had previously made.
20220925_074644.jpg
20220925_074656.jpg

Still waiting on some steel parts to work on the suspension project. Some of it has been on order for over 3 weeks!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
The valve cover addition is a great idea. Well done, Tim.
The LSJ’s had one. Not sure why GM deleted it on the LNF. I can assure you that area is a gutter for rocks thrown up from sticky tires.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Thanks! It's a Fruit Loops box, cut, folded, taped and a single layer of fiberglass on the inside and outside - so it still has a little flex. I'll do some flex filler to the rough spots and shoot it with some paint eventually.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Pray for me - the honey-do list caught up with me again and I'm sidetracked making my wife happy. Laundry room this time - sink, cabinets, shelves, paint - which has been unfinished since we moved in. So my Goblin projects are on the back burner for a while until this is completed. :(

Did manage to go dumpster diving this past weekend near the road construction in our (growing) area of the valley and scored some disposed road signs (4X5 feet) for sheet aluminum to use for various things in my build. These had lettering coming off and had bent corners from wind damage.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Playing hookie from the honey-do list, shhh. :p

Time to fix the missing anti-dive geometry in the front suspension. Moving the UCA forewardmost mounting bushing up 3/4 inch (above the existing bushing mount), angles the UCA downward toward the rear by about 4 degrees. This will add approximately 12% anti-dive to the geometry to help keep the nose out of the dirt under hard braking.

20221012_135121.jpg
20221012_135136.jpg

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
It's still a Goblin, mostly! Can't help it that my inner engineer has to make improvements to everything I touch. ;) (and Racer X sneaks into my garage and starts drilling holes into everything)

Lonny built an excellent kit, which we all know, and it is in a very elite class for legal street cars - Sevens, Atoms. Unfortunately my Goblin is also my 'retirement' project and I can't turn that engineer thing off, sooo ideas, analyses, fabrications, and modifications happen. :p:cool:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The front suspension has been modified to incorporate the anti-dive geometry, a little less than I had hoped for only about 13%.
20221025_194142.jpg

No comments about my not pretty welds.