Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

WorkinMan55

I am very interested in your brake setup. I come from a sprint car background. Im planning on running my current cts-v brakes on the front with the factory cobalt brembos on the back. I’ll add a separate emergency brake caliper.
B87DB35F-6C91-4C50-99CF-54C93308F36B.png2A839F60-1E6B-4E7F-83FE-16EF9D7CB8EE.jpeg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
After much remeasuring, discussion with many Goblin builders and Lonny I decided to go with the DF brakes, and I sold my Brembos. I will start with the 'stock' brakes and if I need to upgrade to better pads and drilled/slotted rotors I have that option in the future. The brake booster and master cylinder changes are still in the works - I discovered the Cobalt brake booster bolt pattern is smaller than the standard booster pattern used by GM for decades. The mounting plate for the booster on the Goblin will need to be revised to accept the single diaphragm booster I plan to use. As I work on these I will be adding updates to my build thread.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I am very interested in your brake setup. I come from a sprint car background. Im planning on running my current cts-v brakes on the front with the factory cobalt brembos on the back. I’ll add a separate emergency brake caliper.
View attachment 12329View attachment 12328
I worked for Wells Racing Engines for 13 years, when he bought his Super Flow chassis dyno I machined and installed air starters and air tanks and a big starter ring gear so we could start sprint cars on the dyno.

We had drivers like Donny Schatz, Sammy Swindell, Christopher Bell, Sam Hafertepe Jr. pull their big rigs to Texas so they could do in car dyno tests.

Dennis Wells built Christopher Bell's and Sam Hafertepe Jr.'s engines before they got too famous.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
A Scuderi engine. I've seen this before in an aviation journal as an alternative to a standard radial engine. I was scratching my head when I first saw it thinking that having twice the rotating mass for the same relative compression/burn displacement was not practical for a car engine that varies RPM quite a bit. The engine is pretty efficient for constant RPM application like an aircraft, but have not seen or heard of any of these in use.

Her is another interesting concept engine using opposed pistons and 2 crankshafts:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Wow, did not remember seeing that stated in the article - it was in the Sport Aviation periodical. How accurate was the description about a constant speed application versus a variable RPM one? I may have to dig up that article again to reread it - if I can locate it again.

WorkinMan55

Tim I was just scanning through your build log and noticed you are going to be installing a lsd in your f40. One thing to think about is the speed sensor. While I had the case apart installing the lsd I removed the tan sensor that is for the Buick Regal and drilled it out to fit the black sensor that was in my f35. I also used ottp’s sensor bracket and reused the old sensor bolt. If you have already addressed this I apologize.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I knew the F40 has a speed sensor, didn't think about needing the F35 sensor. I do have the Regal sensor - I believe - but my F35 sensor and transmission are long gone. If the Regal sensor is not compatible I will have to order a F35 sensor and get it installed. Did you happen to take any photos? Also interested in your experience with installing the LSD. What bearings, seals, etc. did you use? What measurements did you have to take that are critical for correct gear engagement and backlash? Thanks.

WorkinMan55

Ya Tim the regal sensor defiantly won’t work. The sensor hole has to be machined to .945”.
I ordered an f40 lsd install kit from b3design along with the sensor clamp. It has everything you need along with detailed instructions. If you don’t want to go that route I can get you more details.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Thanks. I need to get this stuff ordered and motivate myself to getting the LSD install accomplished. Were there any tricks I should know or did you follow one of the YouTube videos?

WorkinMan55

The f40 is extremely easy to work on. My five year old took mine apart by himself.
391C2601-2E7F-49FC-8FCC-4134C60A8675.jpeg
I highly recommend b3’s kit. I wanted peace of mind knowing that I will push my cobalt over 170 mph.
This weekend I will try to do a write up on the install with torque specs and all.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Way back when I was trying to decide what to do for my drivetrain - keep the donor engine and trans, go with rebuilt, go with new - I spent a lot of time researching the F35 trans. After reading and seeing the difficulty of doing any work on the F35 and the special tolls needed I looked into other options. Looked into the F40, saw how easy it is to work on and no special tools needed (thinking about the LSD install) - and how available a new transmission was to obtain - I pulled the trigger on the F40.

Please, if you can pull together some specifics on your LSD install, it would be much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Played around with the sidepod mockup again today. Made the dimensions tighter to the KZ750 radiator heat exchanger to minimize the open space inside and gain more clearance to the rear tire. It is 1 inch narrower opening and 2 inches shorter front to back, for those who are looking at the diagram I posted a while ago. The pod now has just enough space for the heat exchanger with the 7 inch cooling fan mounted to the face in a 'pull-through' configuration.

Got out the cardboard and mocked up a 'cover' to see what it will look like once the fiberglass cowl is in place. It will definitely be functional, routing all air through the heat exchanger, and has plenty of clearance to the tire location, but need some other opinions on the looks? The PVC pipe frame gives a more squared off look, would a more rounded look be more esthetic? Need some honest opinions, please.

Attachments