Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Oops, forgot about that. Let's see, 2 old sets and one new set for total of 12 bits. (Does anyone have stock in drill bits?) :p
Classy gets the win. I will PM you.

SACTX, your 950 guess for the total number that have been counted, that included the subframe and motor (trans) mounts would be closer to the total number of 917, but the guess was for the frame and radiator support with 639 holes. I do have a consolation prize specifically for you if you would like it. I will PM you.

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
It's starting to cool off out here in the desert, getting under 100 degrees for a few days. Making some progress on modifications, besides more speedholes. I made a fuel/water plate to replace the extremely ugly Cobalt fuel filler. Installing a nice 1/4 turn fuel port and screw-in water port - which is clearly marked 'WATER'. Plus I'm getting some much needed practice with welding sheet metal to do a dash - thanks Brian (Brian74) for the model to follow.

Attachments

Classy

I was planning on having a hard neck off the tank I have made for mine. But I like what you did there, I may need to steal it

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The fuel/water plate is 16 gauge(?) steel, wanted it very rigid, and used .030 wire with the heat and wire feed turned down quite far. Did burn through in one spot, but it was correctable.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Bless you adventurous types that go beyond the kit-as-designed. I'm anxious to see the end result one day, DS.

Classy

The fuel/water plate is 16 gauge(?) steel, wanted it very rigid, and used .030 wire with the heat and wire feed turned down quite far. Did burn through in one spot, but it was correctable.
I wish I had a TIG for these situations, it is so hard to not burn through thin metal with my MIG. Doing exhaust work, it is essentially a bunch of tac welds because I can’t put any real heat into the metal

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I wish I would have started with .023 wire for the sheet metals. I may still buy a spool because I need to fill a few imperfections that .030 will probably not work with.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Need opinions: too tall?
Just trying to get an idea of how high I need to mount my wing. I would like for it to be slightly higher than the B-pillar hoop so that it can actually do something (besides look cool) by getting it up into some 'cleaner' air so it can actually create downforce.
The horizontal piece in the pics is sitting 31 inches tall, as measured from the lowest bolt hole in the wing mounts on the frame. This would require 30 inch mounts which are very doable. I do plan to make custom wing stanchions to mount my modest wing (48x8 aluminum) I plan to install. Please, no comments about carbon fiber wings, it is not in my plans.
Honest opinions please.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
It looks high enough to get clean air.
With the goblin being rear heavy, I always wondered why the wing is so far back.
Since the wing doesn't do much until you get up to 70mph+, does the goblin need less front weight at those speeds?
Not sure if it would look right in front of the rear axle, but it might actually help there.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hmm, like having a wing mount at the B-pillar hoop over the top of the fuel tank/diagonal bars area (generally speaking). That's a good point and the wing could definitely be in clean air, plus the down force would be applied at the center of gravity on the car (which is about at the back edge of the cockpit). That's something to think about - great idea.

Edit: kinda like this.

Attachments

Last edited:

jaredthenav

Hmm, like having a wing mount at the B-pillar hoop over the top of the fuel tank/diagonal bars area (generally speaking). That's a good point and the wing could definitely be in clean air, plus the down force would be applied at the center of gravity on the car (which is about at the back edge of the cockpit). That's something to think about - great idea.

Edit: kinda like this.
I was thinking of doing something similar, having the wing mounts extend back from the top of the diagonal bars coming off the back of the halo, more like a hatch back wing. That would put it forward of the rear wheels, perhaps balancing any down force better? Was looking forward to mocking it up, whenever my frame can get delivered!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
And Ross' idea comes to fruition. Still needs some adjustments to the mount pieces - need to shorten the front tabs - but now that its done I really like it. :D So Adam does this become an option? :rolleyes:
The brackets are 1.25x1.25 angle, 3.5 inches long - welded at the same 26.75 inch width as the stock mounts. The 'dress up' of the brackets and speedholes are required on my Goblin. The wing i have mounted is a 48x7 (mis-measured originally) aluminum with splayed end plates.
So the stock brackets are coming off (removing weight from the back of my Goblin ;)) and I have to modify the brake light brackets anyway. So copy away Goblineers if you like what you see.

Attachments