Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Just a note from the Engineer in me: the Goblin suspension has effectively no anti-dive and minimal anti-squat geometry built into the stock frame and donor subframe. This is one of the latest items that I have been reviewing and contemplating how to design/modify to gain these aspects into my frame, without going overboard with replacing major frame components. These characteristics play a significant role in taming the handling of a car and getting it set up to handle correctly and more effectively. :cool:

The below attached article, along with many others, go into the technical aspects of the hows and whys of designing anti-dive and anti-squat into the suspension. Thus the reason I'm thoughtfully contemplating the strut rear suspension has got to go...:rolleyes:

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
A few more frame mods completed, more to come. The welder (and grinder) are getting a work out. Hint, there are 6 new/alterations (or 3 pairs of changes) in the photos...and yes Racer X insisted on adding some speedholes. :p:cool: Oh and some unnecessary brackets are also gone.
20220628_095526.jpg
20220628_095608.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Rear cage bars from roof hoop to almost shock tower, a filler plate and what looks like oh **** handles, what do I win?
Correct. The filler plate will be backing a 4 inch speaker location, the rear bars have been repositioned - more on that later - and the oh- **** handles. The handles are also positioned to help prevent kicking the mirror when getting in and out of the car.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Those are wing brackets on the halo, yes. Added those on in post #378. I was not keen on a rear wing for two reasons. A wing is ineffective at the rear unless you raise it above the halo level with very tall mounts. And what downforce is generated is pushing down behind the rear wheel centerline that makes the front end of a Goblin lighter. :eek:
The upper location puts the wing above the CG of the Goblin pushing the whole car down, not just the rear. The wing is in mostly clean air - so it will actually generate downforce across the entire wing surface. And the mount is simple and short, no need for tall mounts.
But good that you noticed these mounts! :D

Last edited:

Scott #321

Mmmm wing on top at back of hoop... Could be the cure to heat recirculating from the engine into the passenger compartment with a windshield.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The harness bar is mocked up for it to be bolt-in. The center bolt (frame diagonal bar) have reinforcement tubes that will be welded in. The bar is 1 inch 0.082 DOM with 3/16 end plates and is thru-hole in the end plates that will be double welded.
20220629_124616.jpg
20220629_121726.jpg

Note: the temporary hardware shown will be replaced with graded hardware and the bar will be installed flush with the DF seatbelt bolt hole locations on the B-pillars. Waiting until early AM to do any welding when i can have the garage door open - it's 90 degrees in the garage in the afternoons and 108 outside today with thunderstorms brewing on the horizon (it is monsoon in Arizona).

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Aux cooler/radiator brackets welded up. The cooler fit nicely (it is not the DF supplied heat exchanger). If you're wondering why it is located here, you need to read thru some of my build log. :D
20220708_102400.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Water/meth cooler? Or tank? Or am I missing the poke about needing another cooler on my Goblin? :rolleyes: The Engineer in me will always provide the technical answer.
The Snow Performance water/meth tank could fit nicely over the top of the fuel tank, but I have other plans for that space.
20220708_121925.jpg

So a nice location behind the passenger seat in the 'V' above and between the diagonal bar and passenger side B-pillar and below the horizontal center bar is where I'm looking. A 1.25 gallon tank would fit perfectly there, not take-up much space and is easily reached to refill flipping the passenger seat forward. ;)
20220708_122152.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Just poking fun. Sorry it missed its mark.
You have thought more about cooling the the rest of us combined.
can’t wait to see it all come together.
Hurry up Tim!!!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
No speedholes in the fuel tank (I would have been disappointed if someone didn't say this), but a mod is needed none the less (yep, can't leave anything untouched). Plan to add a 1.75 gallon water tank next to the fuel tank - this is mockup #2 on this idea from a while back. It will be welded on to the end of the existing gas tank with a common wall between the two.
20220708_135924.jpg

20220708_135932.jpg

It's a tight squeeze to fit - at 6.5 inches longer - but is the most logical place for this tank. Since I already put a water neck filler into my custom fuel filler flange, this is a no-brainer. (If you look closely the filler on the left is labeled 'WATER').
20201011_102336.jpg

This water tank will be used for spray on the A2W intercooler heat exchangers to help enhance cooling - which works well in the desert low humidity. And yes, I have thought about cooling requirements for a long time and how to-beat-the-heat! :cool: