Deviant Goblin - Extended Track #373 | 07 SS/SC donor

devianteng

December 12, 2021
No big updates, but the shell is gone and I made a table from MDF and 2x4s. Table will sit on sawhorses for now, but will eventually make legs. Will seal it with some kind of urethane before using it for harness work, and hope to keep it around for a long time. Hope to get the dash disassembled and donor parts inventoried in the next week.

30.jpg31.jpg32.jpg

neodied

Since your frame is coming up soon in the queue (as is mine!), have you decided or started looking into powder coating shops? I am thinking of calling around to some local shops and see if anyone has done a Goblin before. Or maybe searching the other Michigan builders threads and asking them where they got it done.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Since your frame is coming up soon in the queue (as is mine!), have you decided or started looking into powder coating shops? I am thinking of calling around to some local shops and see if anyone has done a Goblin before. Or maybe searching the other Michigan builders threads and asking them where they got it done.
Not necessarily in you neck of the wood but Call Powdermasters in Port Huron. I haven't contacted them yet since I'm #383 and have a bit to wait. I have had them do wheels and exhaust for snowmobiles before and they turned out wonderful.

neodied

Not necessarily in you neck of the wood but Call Powdermasters in Port Huron. I haven't contacted them yet since I'm #383 and have a bit to wait. I have had them do wheels and exhaust for snowmobiles before and they turned out wonderful.
Cool, I don't mind driving a bit since this is a special project. I'll give them a call!

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Cool, I don't mind driving a bit since this is a special project. I'll give them a call!
I think they have a facebook that you can probably send pics of the frame on the messenger, that way he can give you a better quote. I have a guy who is a little closer to you, really only by 10 mins. I've known him for a while through work, fun guy to party with lol. He does more industrial painting and powdercoating stuff but said he could do it as well. I just sent him a text with pictures of the frame and suspension to get a rough quote. When he gets back to me ill let you know the price se we can compare. I also have no issue loading the frame up on my trailer and travelling for good work.

devianteng

I haven't called around any yet but I do know of 3 local shops, that I've talked to in the past about another project. I expect lead time will be a few weeks, but I don't plan to get my frame powder coated immediately. I have some frame modifications planned that will be the first thing I do once I get the frame, and then I'll get it coated. Planning to powder coat the frame and paint the rest myself with a HLVP sprayer.

I've gotten my donor disassembled and out of the shop, but I still need to finish disassembly on the dash and do my wire harness work. I made a work table for the harness (nothing special, but it's more just a sheet of plywood on saw horses; nothing wrong with that but it was a good opportunity to make a new shop table). Otherwise I've been focused on other things. The holidays, promotion at work, family time...that's been my priority lately, but expect to refocus on the Goblin next month! I've got a lot of ideas but need to ground myself and set a hard budget for getting this thing built. I figured it will be late March before my frame is finished and actually landed in my drive way. That's around the same time we'll be moving in with my FIL (selling our house, living with him to save money and help him get settled into retirement and allow us to save so we can build in the next 2-3 years). He has a 40x78 shop, and another 30x32 garage...so plenty of space for activities.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
I haven't called around any yet but I do know of 3 local shops, that I've talked to in the past about another project. I expect lead time will be a few weeks, but I don't plan to get my frame powder coated immediately. I have some frame modifications planned that will be the first thing I do once I get the frame, and then I'll get it coated. Planning to powder coat the frame and paint the rest myself with a HLVP sprayer.

I've gotten my donor disassembled and out of the shop, but I still need to finish disassembly on the dash and do my wire harness work. I made a work table for the harness (nothing special, but it's more just a sheet of plywood on saw horses; nothing wrong with that but it was a good opportunity to make a new shop table). Otherwise I've been focused on other things. The holidays, promotion at work, family time...that's been my priority lately, but expect to refocus on the Goblin next month! I've got a lot of ideas but need to ground myself and set a hard budget for getting this thing built. I figured it will be late March before my frame is finished and actually landed in my drive way. That's around the same time we'll be moving in with my FIL (selling our house, living with him to save money and help him get settled into retirement and allow us to save so we can build in the next 2-3 years). He has a 40x78 shop, and another 30x32 garage...so plenty of space for activities.
**** that’s a nice space to work in, right now I’m pulling the donor apart in a 2 car garage with a wife who won’t let me take over her spot since it’s cold out….. How selfish of her. Lmfao.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Powdercoat of Central Michigan did mine and @mgrusnick 's . Guy named Brian runs it. Cool dude

Mahkoi

**** that’s a nice space to work in, right now I’m pulling the donor apart in a 2 car garage with a wife who won’t let me take over her spot since it’s cold out….. How selfish of her. Lmfao.
Haha My wife got kicked out of the garage but I do clean her car off in the mornings that it snows. Its working for now....gotta get that donor chopped up soon so she has space. I dont think I can handle sleeping on the couch. The plan was her car would be in for the winter now the plan her car won't spend February outside.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Haha My wife got kicked out of the garage but I do clean her car off in the mornings that it snows. Its working for now....gotta get that donor chopped up soon so she has space. I dont think I can handle sleeping on the couch. The plan was her car would be in for the winter now the plan her car won't spend February outside.
Not this coming week but the following, I’m off all week so if you need a hand I could bring the truck and trailer to get it out to the scrap yard

Mahkoi

Not this coming week but the following, I’m off all week so if you need a hand I could bring the truck and trailer to get it out to the scrap yard
I appreciate the offer but I plan on having it chopped and gone before then.

devianteng

January 17, 2022
Happy New Year! I call this the "year of the Goblin". :D

I took a long break from dealing with my donor (got cold, holidays, laziness...typical excuses) but finally finished the dash disassembly, which means I am done with disassembly. I got my donor shell out of the shop mid December, so it's been gone a while now. I made a table (2x4 frame, 3/4" MDF top) for my wiring work, which I'm actually looking forward to. Been thinking about any extras I want to add into the harness (wide band, additional accessories, etc), and plan to take my time. Solder/de-solder, de-pin connectors instead of cut, wire loom tape, etc. Afterwards I will be taking inventory of my donor parts, ordering replacements for anything that needs to be replaced (likely to replace any consumable parts which makes the most sense to me) and doing cleanup/prep/paint.

Side note, new heater is working great in my shop (30x40x16, insulated). Less than 30 minutes and it went from 30 to 68 degrees in there, burning diesel. Held the heat well and made it comfortable enough for t-shirt and no jacket. Really need to invest in a new audio setup for the shop, though.

33.jpeg34.jpeg35.jpeg

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
That's not ideal, but at least you could walk all the way around the car and mount the wheels from a normal position lol
Thats very true, pulling the rear bumper on mine was a pain since I backed in at an angle. My bicycle collection got in my way at this point and made it awkward.

devianteng

January 23, 2022
Found a little time to get started on the main harness thinning. Completed video 2 (thinning the harness 1) and 2/3 of the way through video 3 (thinning the harness 2). I found 1 broken wire that I need to trace and determine where it goes, but a wire diagram should make that easy but waiting until I finish thinning the harness because that may be a wire I don't even need. Pictures below show a before and after of the work I did yesterday, which was about a hour. I did realize that I traced and removed grounds from the lugs, that it seems I shouldn't have done but not a big deal as I can make a new lugs as needed for grounds.

36.jpg37.jpg

devianteng

February 17, 2022
No updates on the harness or donor part prep. Really waiting for the cold weather to break before I refocus back on that stuff. But, on Feb 07 my frame went on the jig, and only 2 days later on Feb 09 passed inspection! This morning I got my invoice and got that paid for stage 1. Shipping quote is $700, and estimated "ready date" for carrier pick up is Mar 07.

38.jpg 39.jpg 40.jpg 41.jpg