Deviant Goblin - Extended Track #373 | 07 SS/SC donor

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Cobalt SS tire stock size is 225/40-18, which is a 25.1 inch tall tire - this can vary by 0.1 inch depending upon manufacturer. This is a 3% difference in speedometer reading - slower.

devianteng

Ah, interesting. Not sure where I got 245 from…

And looking at tirerack.com, they’re saying OEM is a 215/45R18, which is 25.6”. Oh what do I believe?? lol

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
When in doubt, consult the doner. You know, one of the 10000000 pics you should have taken. :D Less than 1/2” diameter difference from stock to a 245, which is probably 3 mph or so
3CC5F4C1-53FD-4EDD-8ABD-A88D90997F8E.jpeg
11B65A74-5692-4F02-A2A8-194713D80E97.png
. Not a real big deal, you just need to be aware you are off a tad.

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
@Rttoys Thanks for the great info. I've got several 17x9 wheels I'm looking at, and for tires I'm looking at the Toyo R1R.

Based on your feedback, I'm currently considering 275/40R17 on the rear and 245/45R17 on the front. Both tires are 25.7" overall diameter, which is the same size as the factory Cobalt (which is also a 245/45R17 I believe). Speedo should still be accurate.

The 275 is ~1.2" wider than the 245, so that means I'd gain ~2.4" width in the rear, which I think makes it close to the same overall width as the front. In theory it seems like a good setup, yeah?
Mostly correct. That’s how I played it. You have to remember, it’s easier and cheaper to go with a common tire too. Plus, the 275 are 1.2” wider, but that will only gain you 1.2 in width overall. Half of the width gain will be inside and the other half outside. Either way. There’s still a 255 in between there if you want to add that to your equation.

devianteng

After more thinking, I've decided on what I'm going to order (wheel-wise).

Konig Hexaform, 17x8/+38 for the fronts and 17x9.5/+20 on the rears. Tire-wise, still undecided but leaning toward Toyo R1Rs; 245/45 on the front, 275/40 on the rear.

TravMac

Not to throw any more ideas on your nearly made decision, but I also just finished up the google sheet for everyone's tires and wheels you can check out in the tires/wheels section. Once you make your decision too, can add your info in as well! I'm surprised the different variety of everyone's choices in wheels, tires, offsets... it's a lot of neat data. Nearly no 2 are identical.

devianteng

Not to throw any more ideas on your nearly made decision, but I also just finished up the google sheet for everyone's tires and wheels you can check out in the tires/wheels section. Once you make your decision too, can add your info in as well! I'm surprised the different variety of everyone's choices in wheels, tires, offsets... it's a lot of neat data. Nearly no 2 are identical.

Oh thanks! I referenced that thread a lot, but must had missed your spreadsheet. Would had been nice to filter through that while I was going through all this, haha. I did get my wheels ordered (what I mentioned above), but tires are still undecided. Not in a super hurry to get that figured out yet. I'll get my wheels added to the doc!

devianteng

February 13, 2023
Not much of an update other than to share l I've done nothing with the Goblin since Nov. Sold my house though, and moved. Expecting kiddo #3 any day now, so needless to say I've been busy.
But! Stage 2 kit has officially been ordered. Added the DF Shifter (orange), redrilled hubs, DFKC steering wheel, and rear coilovers. From what I can tell they gave me the 2021 pricing (to be fair, I first started asking for my stage 2 invoice back in like October), but came out to $6,370. Also ordered 2 things I've needed since Nov; Intake Air Pressure/Temp sensor (ACDelco 213-3907) and a ZZP rear trans mount (lost/trashed my donors). So that was another ~$180.
Got my wheels ordered. Went with the Konig Hexaform, 17x8/+38 for the front and 17x9.5/+20 for the rears. Wheels are matte black, but I plan to get them powder coated with a nice metallic orange (doing a blue/orange theme). Also plan to get my valve cover sprayed at the same time so they'll match the wheels. Tires undecided on brand, but probably do something like a 245 up front and 275 on the rear.
Lastly, I've pretty much talked myself into going with a TVS1320 future build instead of LSJ-t. LSJ-t is easier to do big power, but I realistically don't think I'll do much beyond spirited street driving, or casual straight line stuff. So the TVS is going to be more linear for the street driving, plus the sound. OTTP got a batch of new stock in for $3k, so really trying to decide if this is the way I'm going to go or not (it wouldn't get installed until the car is on the road regardless). Part of the thinking is I already bought a phenolic spacer, dual pass endplate, and ZZP shorty headers. That'd be like $500 wasted if I went LSJ-t, on top of whatever a s252 setup would have costed me. With the TVS I'd go smaller on the pulley, add another heat exchanger in the loop, bigger injectors...and that'd pretty much be it. I think 350-375 at the wheels should be achievable, and be plenty of go.
Here's to getting on the street this summer!

Last edited:

devianteng

February 21, 2023
Small update, but a big step back working on this thing. Replaced the brake booster, MAP sensor, fixed a coolant leak on the radiator, and new spark plugs. Little things, but important things. Got an email earlier today that my stage 2 will ship out tomorrow, so that's exciting. Also heard that my powder coat guy got the Illusion Blaze in that he ordered for my wheels/valve cover. I suspect it'll be another week or so on those, and when I go to pick them up I plan to drop off the coil cover plate and the coilover shocks. Not sure what colors those will get, but I want to do something.
Feels good to work in the shop again!

devianteng

Did you select your powder with your coating guy and he then ordered what you needed? Estimated the amount and all?
Yeah, my guy has like 30 different swatch bundles to look through (hundreds of color samples), across Prismatic and Columbia powders. I took one of the tunnel cap pieces he previously coated so I could find an orange that went well with the Columbia Blue Diamond I chose.

He is charging me $500 to have the wheels and valve cover done, all in. No idea if that’s a good price or not but I’m happy with the worn he did on my frame and other parts.

devianteng

March 06, 2023
Another small update; got my wheels and valve cover back from powder coating, Columbia Coatings Illusion Blaze color. Absolutely love how they came out. I also stripped my donor control arms (FE5 suspension, with the aluminum arms) and ordered new bushings and ball joints. Went with the OTTP leading and spherical bushings, and Mevotech TXMS50510 ball joints. Control arms, coilover springs, and coil pack cover plate are all with my powder coat guy and I expect I'll go get them this weekend. Control Arms will be in the same Illusion Blaze color, springs and cover plate will be matte black. No work done to the actual car though, but I expect to get back into it very soon.
First up will be to get the engine harness back installed (took it out to thin it out and fix a connector). After that, I need to get the sub-frame in and ready for control arms to be put in. I THINK after that, I'm officially done with my stage 1 and will be starting on my stage 2 (A-Arms, hubs, suspension, and brake stuff to start). Part-wise, the main things left to order are my tires and seats. So at this point, unless I'm forgetting anything, the only thing not new on my Goblin is the engine, trans, PCM, BCM, dash cluster, gas filler neck, pedal box/pedals, steering rack, and wire harness. The cluster will one day be replaced with a AEM display, but that's an enhancement project for another day.

My goal is to be able to move her under her own power before the end of April, and start my registration paperwork sometime in April as well!

146.jpg147.jpg148.jpg

devianteng

March 13, 2023
DFKC Quick Attach Steering wheel installed, picked up LCAs, coilover springs, and valve cover coil plate from powder coating. Started work on front control arm install, but one of the front upper control arms had messed up threads and I destroyed one of the small rod ends. Got a new rod end on order, and a helicoil kit to attempt replacing the threads in the control arm (1/2-20 threads). Pressed in the OTTP spherical trailing bushing into the LCAs, and got the OTTP leading bushings installed as well. Discovered I trashed my steering knuckles, so I can't assemble the front or the rear wheel/brake/suspension yet. Found a pair of knuckles on Facebook, should be able to get for under $100 shipped...just hope they are in good condition. Also, updated my costs table (second post in this thread) and officially hit the $20k mark. Pretty close to having all my parts though, just missing seats, harnesses, mirrors, and lights, I think!

Forgot to snap photos of the LCAs or steering wheel setup, but I'll add them on the new post. Here's a couple photos of the oopsie I had on the front upper control arm!

149.jpg150.jpg

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Good thing with a non-LNF build is you can use any non-LNF knuckles including base model, so they're pretty easy to come by in junkyards as well if it comes to that.

devianteng

Good thing with a non-LNF build is you can use any non-LNF knuckles including base model, so they're pretty easy to come by in junkyards as well if it comes to that.
Thanks for confirming! This is what I was thinking but wasn’t positive. I think I got a pair located for $75.