DF Quick Release Steering Wheel How To

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Since there isn't a clear direction on what to do for the DF Quick Release (QR) kit, I thought I'd post what I did as I just installed it. I didn't use the 'horn' button as I couldn't get it to stay in even after cutting the wire clip. I would also play with the unit a bit to see how it all works and mounts.

1. Install the black coupler that has the splines as seen. The stock Cobalt nut should be about 21mm torqued to 30 ft*lbs. Notice, I placed straight up in-between two holes on the coupler. This will make more sense in a bit. Disregard my gnarly hole, I had to drill out a bolt from using the stock wheel. That leads me to another note: do not use a impact driver on the silver 4mm bolts. They will strip out. Use a socket and ratchet or Allen wrench!
1- Black Coupler.JPG2- Black Coupler 21mm.JPG

2. Put the steering wheel on the QR kit as seen. The bolts are 3mm and I recommend using an Allen wrench. There are two sets of holes, I believe it was the smaller circle of holes used. I went around in a star pattern until everything was nice and tight. The second photo is just the wheel attached to the body section. If you want to add the horn button then jump to the next post that details it.
3- Bolt on Wheel 3mm.JPG4.5- QR Assembly.JPG

3. Find center top and place a mark on both the the coupler and the main body of the QR system. I'm calling the coupler the small part that has the male fitting and the body the part that has the ball bearings and female port. The body also has the black slide release do-hickey (technical term).
4- QR Assembly Red Mark.JPG

4. Mount the silver QR coupler to the black steering coupler. I used the stock 4mm bolts (I need to get 3 more). DO NOT use a drill, air gun or impact driver on these. They will strip and you'll have an uggo mess on your hands just like me. Also, I had to grind out the inside of my silver coupler to get it clear the 21mm steering nut. Others have mentioned slightly grinding the nut down. You also could not have an issue like most have said. I wasn't that lucky.
5- Bolt on QR Coupler 4mm.JPG5.5- Grind Out Silver Coupler.JPG

5. Install the steering wheel to the QR coupler! You do this by sliding the black sliding shaft towards you and pop the unit in place. It can only go on one way, hence making the red lines for TDC previously.
6- Install Wheel.JPG

7. Get in and out of your Goblin with ease. It makes climbing out sooo much easier. Plus it looks a lot better than the stock wheel (in my opinion).
IMG_0860.JPG

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
And, I have an update to the DF Quick Release (QR) kit. I installed my 'horn' button. This will slot in at Step 2

Trim the back of your horn button tabs. I had 4 tabs and trimmed 3, leaving the top on in place. The top one will slot into the silver QR coupler to keep the button in place. I trimmed these tabs flush with the horn body. Clipped them with wire clippers and then trimmed the last remnants with a razor blade tool.
8. Button back tab.JPG8.5. button back -no tab.JPG9. Wheel Notch.JPG

2.2 Press the horn button into place. It's going to be tight. So tight, that to make these photos I had to take the steering wheel completely off to press it back out from the reverse side.
10. Button.JPG

2.3 Place the black horn button bezel around the button and line the holes up
11. Button_Housing.JPG

2.4 Use the longer 4mm cap head bolts from the kit as seen in the picture. Tighten them down, I did it in a star pattern again to make sure everything sat down flush with the QR body.
12. Button_Housing_Bolts.JPG

If you want to hook up the horn and use it, I believe there are discussion on it here:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Probably best to add the quick release steering wheel before the alignment. I don't remember it clocking the steering wheel at a different angle than the stock steering wheel, but if I'm wrong, then a fresh wheel alignment would fix it.

WA08TC

I just don't remember if the tires were straight before I did the disassembly. But if it gets changed I'll just have to redo the wheel install. No biggie