DF Stock W2A intercooler

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Long story short, my LSJ intake laminova cores are leaking, and my repair attempts have been unsuccessful. So I'm going to switch to an external W2A intercooler configuration and wanted to see if anyone knew which was the stock intercooler that DF provides with their kits for the LNF. I know it's from Frozenboost, but wasn't sure if it was the Type 16 or the Type 10

Type 16: https://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/water-to-air-intercoolers-p-216.html?osCsid=ar3betke67gfo9sr5p0i64opn5

Type 10: https://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/water-to-air-intercoolers-p-211.html?osCsid=ar3betke67gfo9sr5p0i64opn5

The type 10 allows more CFM, but it's also a sizeable difference that I'm not sure will sit nicely on top of the LNF or LSJ (3 inches is a lot, I don't care what anyone says :D ). My plan is to remove my laminova cores and then cap the end plate ports so there isn't a vacuum leak, then reuse the stock intake so I don't have to spend $250+ for a modified Saab intake, with a new TB, or $700+ for the OTTP LSJ turbo intake.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The Type 16 is stock for the LNF goblins. So will you fabricate your own mounts for the supercharger? Since you won't be using the stock intake, you will end up loosing the supercharger mounting points.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Well my turbo kit had the adapter plate for the SC intake, I’d essentially just plumb this up exactly like the LNF kit would with the external cooler. If I did the OTTP intake then I’d plumb it off to the side.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Nope, but I will need to figure out mounting points for the FrozenBoost cooler o_O My fabrication skills always look amateur

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Air side will be difficult to route to the side pods and back
Oh right, I had a brain fart about what cooler was being packaged and got hung up on the folks with side pods typically only fitting one cooler plus a fan per pod when a stacked setup would could be serviceable.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Oh right, I had a brain fart about what cooler was being packaged and got hung up on the folks with side pods typically only fitting one cooler plus a fan per pod when a stacked setup would could be serviceable.
Driver side has an intake HE stacked with an oil HE. Passenger side has just an intake HE.

Routing the intake filter to a side pod would be excessive with tubing when the idea is to create a short path

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Driver side has an intake HE stacked with an oil HE. Passenger side has just an intake HE.

Routing the intake filter to a side pod would be excessive with tubing when the idea is to create a short path
Right, I had conflated the intake HE with the charge air cooler. The shortest, most direct path would be from the turbo outlet through the charge air cooler and into the throttle body by going back to front over the top of the engine. A mounting plate attached to the engine using holes/bosses in the head and/or intake manifold and the M8 holes in the W2A unit should be pretty straightforward to design and easy to fab up.