DF supplied quick release steering wheel - how to?

PHENDERSON

Does anyone have a step by step for the process of installing the quick release wheel, or a bunch of pictures from all angles would help. This would also include the turn signals. I found some pics on this forum but not quite enough to fully understand how everything fits together.

Thanks much in advance.

Ross

Goblin Guru

Scott #321

I supplied the wiring to the horn button in the below fashion. Sorry I did not take enough pics during the process.
Started out using this old telephone wire as I had it laying around and I was delusional enough to think I may include the cruise switches in the steering wheel. I would recommend just a two wire thinner wire. I wrapped it around a bar and used a heat gun on it to get the insulation to take as much of a set as possible.

Attachments

Scott #321

I did run a drill bit down the center of the origional steering shaft to clean up the hole from any burs that might cut the wire and had to remove the exterior insulation as pictured to avoid it catching on rotation. wiring secured with electrical tape and zip ties to the steering shaft. This gets you to a position where you have a wire through the rotating steering shaft with the coiled end at the bottom.

Attachments

Scott #321

I did clearance the DF supplied column as shown to provide additional relief for the wires strapped to the exterior of the steering shaft as it is very close tolerance in this area. When installing column the power steering unit shaft inserts through the coiled wire as shown. make sure to verify wheel can turn steering stop to steering stop without this coil binding or unwinding to far to provide future problems. Wire and secure lower wiring to corn wire and ground and attach securely to maintain coil shape around lower steering shaft.

Attachments

Scott #321

Sorry I do not have additional pics of the upper assembly wiring the horn through the adaptor. There is very little room to make the connections in the lower adaptor plate and as I recall I wound up marking the threaded portion of the steering shaft and cutting off the additional threads above nut engagement to allow for connection room. I had my doubts as to how ling the connections would last being two small screw heads but several months of repeated removal and install of the steering wheel have been problem free for the horn operation. I do always center the steering wheel with the mark straight up prior to wheel removal to ease in reassembly and reduce undue stress on the contact points in fumbling to attach the wheel.