DF Tow Bar

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I planned on just crossing this bridge when I get to it, but ... the tow bar package comes with a harness, which should plug into any standard towing package adapter on the towing vehicle. Then I imagine you would just need to tap certain wires on the Goblin to send 12v to the brake lights, supplied by the plug on the towing vehicle.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I planned on just crossing this bridge when I get to it, but ... the tow bar package comes with a harness, which should plug into any standard towing package adapter on the towing vehicle. Then I imagine you would just need to tap certain wires on the Goblin to send 12v to the brake lights, supplied by the plug on the towing vehicle.
I was able to tap into the tail light wires on the BCM, run a connector to the tow bar. It uses the tow vehicle's 12v to power the tail lights.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You can tap into the rear tail lights but it's not a bad idea to add diodes to it so you aren't feeding back into the car's electrical system. Let me know if you need help with how to wire the diodes and where to get them.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
You can tap into the rear tail lights but it's not a bad idea to add diodes to it so you aren't feeding back into the car's electrical system. Let me know if you need help with how to wire the diodes and where to get them.
Help what’s a diode

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
On a side note, I'm curious to see the wiring diagram too. I inserted a connector in my harness that disconnects the tail lights from the rest of the wiring, and I can plug my tow harness into it. I think diodes would make my life easier.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Should look something like this, probably per taillight (pardon the terrible MS Paint skills):

diode.jpg

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
A diode may not be a bad idea, but I have been tied into the BCM red plug on my Goblin for a while with no problems.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
On the red BCM plug you will need to tie into the yellow wire (A9) for left brake and turn signal and the Green wire (A12) for right brake and turn signal.
You will also tie into the brown wire at (A7) for the park lamps.
The white wire needs to be grounded.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The only reason I was suggesting a diode is that we (I) don't know exactly how the circuit is designed inside the BCM and it's usually not a good idea to backfeed voltage into an output. If it's simply a relay operated circuit, it's not an issue.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Chad, can you post a diagram on how you did that?
Put the diode between the splice and the BCM. The band on the diode will go towards the splice. Use a diode rated for the forward current draw of the lights. I found that they are around .25A per light, yours may be different The 1N4003 is a 1A diode and should be enough for any LED setup.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
COUPLE OF thing’s to consider when you get ready, You will need a extension to go from the four foot connection that comes with tow bar that is supposed to attach to the front of the Goblin and then just plug your extension into because that piece want go to the end of tow bar.
So you might want to ask for 2 four foot pieces one to go from toeing vehicle to Goblin and one to wire into BCM

And it takes a 2“ ball

Attachments

Last edited:

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Just a suggestion you might want to buy this on amazon for 6.29 to use to wire to BCM and use the 4’ piece that comes with hitch to use as your extension from Goblin to towing Vehicle
Because the one that comes with it has both ends

Attachments

Last edited: