DF Tow Bar

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
What are the specs on the socket cap bolt to mount the brackets on the frame? I see that style in Zoom Zoom pictures and I think also in Ark's picture. I'd rather use that style bolt than a hex cap bolt that came with my early tow bar kit. I don't have a way to get a wrench or socket fully on the hex head mine came with, I can only angle an open end wrench off barely grabbing the faces of the bolt (which frequently slips off). Changing to the socket cap style would make the alignment easier to adjust.

I know it's 1/2" diameter and 4" long but haven't checked the thread to see if it's -13 or -20. I also don't know the grade but I assume grade 8.

This image shows the bolt I'm talking about:
View attachment 20312

20 thread pitch from mcmaster but I don't see a plated option:

13 thread pitch from mcmaster:
Here’s a picture of bolt, Adam will probably sell you 2 of these bolts 4 1/4 inch long with a 3/8 Allen head

Attachments

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Email Adam and we can get a set of to you. Our original plan was for the cross tube to keep the bolt from spinning. That was a failure. So we switched to hex head cap screw.

baustin

Email Adam and we can get a set of to you. Our original plan was for the cross tube to keep the bolt from spinning. That was a failure. So we switched to hex head cap screw.
Ahh, makes sense. I'll send an email. Thanks.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Hade a bi#ch of a time time getting the supplied pin thru the brackets?

Would like to find some that have this cone shape, I think it would make it a lot easier.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hade a bi#ch of a time time getting the supplied pin thru the brackets?

Would like to find some that have this cone shape, I think it would make it a lot easier.

Chamfered the edges of the end of the pin will help a little bit, use a file to round it over. :D

Jareth

Goblin Guru
I thought about chamfering it but there is not much material between the edge and the hole.

After a lot of searching I found these.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
About an hour’s drive to a Tractor Supply store, so with today’s gas prices it could cost more?

Last edited:

Jareth

Goblin Guru
On the red BCM plug you will need to tie into the yellow wire (A9) for left brake and turn signal and the Green wire (A12) for right brake and turn signal.
You will also tie into the brown wire at (A7) for the park lamps.
The white wire needs to be grounded.
Correct me if I’m wrong but if I’m going to pull a small trailer with the Goblin, I’ll want to tap into these same BCM wires?

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Yes thanks, I saw those pictures and they are for the connection to the tow vehicle connection.

I was looking for confirmation that if I want to tow a trailer with the Goblin if I would use the same connections?

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Yes thanks, I saw those pictures and they are for the connection to the tow vehicle connection.

I was looking for confirmation that if I want to tow a trailer with the Goblin if I would use the same connections?

That’s what I would do just get a long trailer wire set up and splice into the same wires as you would for towing a goblin or goblin towing a small trailer. You want be able to haul very much ! I have pulled my goblin with a goblin and had to ride the clutch some to get going . Having a racing clutch doesn’t help either

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Thanks, I was thinking perhaps a trailer like this, mostly to carry tent, sleeping bags and clothing?