DIY Front End Alignment

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Read the rear end alignment thread first: http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-rear-end-alignment.750/#post-12342

Here's how we align the front end of our shop cars:

Note: these instructions assume that you adjusted your control arm rod ends the way we showed in the instructional video.

The first step is to adjust the ride height using the locking nuts on the bottom of the coilovers. Adjust the height until the lower control arm is level with the ground when viewed from the front.

Next you'll want to set the caster. We use the digital angle finder to do this. We zero the angle finder to the top of the tunnel (the screen of the angle finder needs to face the driver or passenger side of the car not the front and back). Then we place the angle finder on the smooth parts of the top two studs of the bearing hub.

IMG_20180831_133551 (Large).jpg

We shoot for 8.5 to 9.5 degrees. When you measure the other side of the car, it is best if you rezero on the tunnel cap with the screen facing the other way. If you just spin the level around you can end up with weird results if your tunnel cap isn't level to the world.

Use the inner rod ends to adjust caster.

Next, the camber needs to be set. Zero the digital angle finder to the main hoop and then check the camber at each of the front rotors. Same as the rear, we shoot for 1.5 degrees of negative camber (top of the tire leans in toward the car).

To adjust the camber, you'll need to disconnect the outer rod end of the upper control arm and thread it in or out to get to 1.5 degrees. Do this on both sides of the car.

20180804_094747 (Large).jpg

20180804_095016 (Large).jpg

Once the camber is set, you need to center up the steering rack. Steer the wheel all the way to the left until it hits the stop. Wrap a piece of masking tap around the steering wheel in the 12 o'clock position. Count the number of turns as you steer all the way to the right until it hits the other stop. Put another piece of masking tape at the 12 o'clock position.

20180804_092638 (Large).jpg

20180804_092743 (Large).jpg

The amount of turns it takes to get to the stops varies between Cobalt trims. Turn back half of the turns you counted. Balance the tape markers left and right so that a point right between them is at 12 o'clock.

20180804_093051 (Large).jpg

Remove the steering wheel and align it the best you can without moving the steering rack. This will make it to where your steering wheel is centered up when you are driving straight. You want to get as close as you can now so that you only have to fine tune it later by adjusting the tie rods. If you can't align the wheel by just reclocking it on the spline adapter, you might need to pull the spline adapter off of the steering shaft and use it to reclock the steering wheel. (When we use the standard steering wheel we like to aim one of the spokes of the wheel at the 12 o'clock position so that there isn't a spoke blocking the speedometer when driving straight down the road).

20180804_093325 (Large).jpg

20180804_093436 (Large).jpg

The next step is to set the front toe. The process is just like setting the rear toe (http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-rear-end-alignment.750/#post-12342). Use toe plates to set the toe to 1/8" toe in.

Once you have the toe set, drive the car to see if the steering wheel is centered when you are driving straight. If it is not, you can fine tune it by adjusting the front toe rods. You'll do this by screwing in one tie rod and screwing out the other tie rod. Be sure to adjust the tie rods equally (just in different directions).

Last edited:

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I have completed the camber with the gauge facing the front of the car i got the left/right angle to 1.5. Now the caster is confusing me the gauge seems to only change degrees when tilting left and right is the caster adjusted in/out with the tie rod and how does the gauge degrees change when the screen is facing you? I zeroed the gauge facing towards driver side.

Hope I explained this properly.

Thanks

Nilbog

You likely zero'd the finder on the main top hoop for the camber. Now you need to zero the finder on the top of the center console cap.

The caster is changed using the a-arm adjustments at the frame, not the tie rod as stated in the posting.

Matt TT

Could someone explain how the castor is adjusted? I think I'm just messing up the front camber. Thanks!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Remove bolt 2, loosen nut 1, spin the ball joint out a few revolutions, reassemble, and you have increased caster.
Remove bolt 4, loosen nut 3, spin the ball joint out a few revolutions, reassemble, and you have decreased caster.

Last edited:

Matt TT

Remove bolt 2, loosen nut 1, spin the ball joint out a few revolutions, and you have increased castor.
Remove bolt 4, loosen nut 3, spin the ball joint out a few revolutions, and you have decreased castor.

View attachment 9305
Thanks! Any advice on how to measure the angle? My gauge doesn't fit like the instructions show.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Thanks! Any advice on how to measure the angle? My gauge doesn't fit like the instructions show.
The green lines are possible areas to measure 9 degrees off horizontal.
The orange line (touching both ball joint threads) is a possible area to measure 9 degrees off vertical.

Justin

Is anyone using turn plates when they are setting caster? Or is it ok to just turn the wheels on the ground

Ross

Goblin Guru
You leave the wheels pointed straight ahead, and measure the caster.... why are you turning the wheels?
You want the suspension at the correct ride heighth, so I put 180lbs of weights in the drivers seat, and a friend in the passenger seat.

Justin

Alot of caster/camber gauges require you to turn the wheels 15 degrees in each direction to accurately measure caster. Just trying to figure out what the correct process is for the goblin. But I was looking at getting an caster/camber gauge from longacre

Ross

Goblin Guru
Oh. I am just using this gauge. It is not that fancy, but it works trackside.
There was a few people surprised we adjusted camber & tow-in between autocross rounds.

Motoracer110

just curious should an alignment shop be able to do this or is this process and adjustment specific to only the goblin?

Ross

Goblin Guru
It is specific to the Goblin.
Most alignment shops just enter a car's make and model, and the computer does the rest.
They don't handle cars that aren't in their database.
The "race" shop I took mine too, just went online, found a Honda with a close wheelbase, and told the computer my car was that Honda.
I bought the tools, and skipped that "race" alignment.
They also align the car with no passenger weight, which may on be a small difference on a 3200lb car, but it makes a big difference in our light Goblin.

George

Goblin Guru
Most alignment machines allow for user input of spec for none standard cars. That is how I set my alignment machine one for street and one for autocross.

Brad

Last edited:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
The amount of turns it takes to get to the stops varies between Cobalt trims. Turn back half of the turns you counted. Balance the tape markers left and right so that a point right between them is at 12 o'clock.
Do you happen to know which rack is fastest?