Donor motor choices

OhioKitMan

So I’m having trouble finding a SC/TC donor motor and I was wondering if the 2.4l has enough power to still be fun to drive?

Ross

Goblin Guru
What is your definition of a fun car that you have driven?
The 2.4L will be fun at first, if you get bored with it, add a turbo!

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
My build used a NA 2.2L (the L61, so no VVT), and is plenty to have a fun driving experience. I am collecting parts to turbo the car eventually, but that's just superfluous fun; it doesn't "need" more power.

OhioKitMan

Well I currently drive a 13 focus that is starting a downhill spiral and I want some thing that I can drive during the summer that is a lot of fun to drive and easy to repair

Ross

Goblin Guru
Well it should be about twice as much fun compared to a 2013 ford focus.
This article put the focus 0-60 mph at 6.6 seconds (probably a race driver on a prepped course)
and I can get 0-60 mph at 4.1 seconds (tires spinning badly, on a dusty farm road, and a stock LSJ SC, which is close to the 2.4L)
Plus the Goblin will corner 2X and stop 2X, as it is half the weight.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I went with the stock 2.4L (non TC/SC) engine from my 2006 SS donor. They are 171 HP at 6,800 RPM. I figure with headers and tweaking the tune maybe 180 HP or a little more. There is a site where you can plug in weigh & HP to get an estimated 1/4 mile drag strip speed. https://robrobinette.com/et.htm Plug in 1450 pounds and 180 HP and you get a 12.27 ET at 116 MPH (estimate). A street car that can run in the low 12's is plenty fast for me.

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I went with the stock 2.4L (non TC/SC) engine from my 2006 SS donor. They are 171 HP at 6,800 RPM. I figure with headers and tweaking the tune maybe 180 HP or a little more. There is a site where you can plug in weigh & HP to get an estimated 1/4 mile drag strip speed. https://robrobinette.com/et.htm Plug in 1450 pounds and 180 HP and you get a 12.27 ET at 116 MPH (estimate). A street car that can run in the low 12's is plenty fast for me.
1,450 is fairly light even for a naked goblin... especially considering a driver and fuel needs to be considered, but it's still fast.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Agreed. Even if you take the weight up to 1,650 and can eek out just a few more horse power (185 HP) you get a 12.08 ET (estimate).