Donor no crank help

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Hey all,

Just getting started down this path and just picked up my non-running donor from auction. my thoughts were a broken TB or intake manifold could be the reason for the no start. I was right about the TB and have replaced it and the intake was in good shape but I am still not getting a signal from the ECU.

See thread in donor selection below for some back story.

I have replaced the TB and reinstalled the intake with MAF plugged in.
I have charged the batter at have voltage to the fuse box
With Key in ON position I have full function of the car (windows, wipers, radio, sunroof, ect but as soon as I turn the key, all stop and nothing.
I have checked all engine and BCM fuses
I have swapped crank relay in engine fuse box to no effect
I have jumper the relay contacts and car DOES crank (can't try to start as have auto and no radiator to contain tranny cooler lines)
I have pulled apart wire harness ends to inspect for broken wires (none visible)
My ScangageII reader only reads codes when engine running. Do I need to get a OBDII scanner?
Everything else on engine looks good except the ABS module got shattered and the pins got pulled off the board.

What Should I be checking next?

Joe

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Do the canbus wires go through the abs module ? Those brown and brown with black stripe wires need to be looped to continue its path.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Might be dumb, but look for a kill switch or alarm. I see a bunch of zip ties on the wiring harness, what is that all for?

what year is the car?

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I will look for CANBUD wires through ABS module. If found I will need help to LOOP them in. Also good point on the kill switch. No alarm under the hood but can check under dash. The zip ties are the headlight harness from the radiator support that was burnt,corroded, and broken. As I removed the support, I threw them on top of the engine. Thanks for the help so far.

Goblin Graber

Is the padlock shaped security light lit up when you try to crank it? The auction could have had a key cut and never programmed it

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Start your build log so your info is in one thread. Will make life much easier for you.

You said you checked all the fuses - if there was any damage to the fuse boxes, the pins on the undersides could have become dislodged. Look on all the plug undersides and confirm good connections.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Is the padlock shaped security light lit up when you try to crank it? The auction could have had a key cut and never programmed it
I do not have the padlocked car so that is an issue I don't have to deal with...I hope.

I have looked under the dash and no hacks and everything looks as fresh as the day it rolled off the assembly line. Car is so clean I only found 1 penny under the spare tire.

Oh the Car is a 2008 SS/NA
Start your build log so your info is in one thread. Will make life much easier for you.

You said you checked all the fuses - if there was any damage to the fuse boxes, the pins on the undersides could have become dislodged. Look on all the plug undersides and confirm good connections.
Jason, I will start a build log. Since I have not purchased a kit yet, I figured the specific section would be better. If the CANBUS wires do not solve the issue that is the next place I will look as it is loose.

Do the canbus wires go through the abs module ? Those brown and brown with black stripe wires need to be looped to continue its path.
I DO have the CANBUS running through the plug. Two sets actually. One twisted pair with a fat black stripe and one with a thin black stripe on brown. How do you loop them to continue the path? do I just jumper the stripe to stripe and solid to solid? see pics below.

Funny thing is I think I have posted more here in the last week than I have in 10 years on my Lincoln forum. You guys are much less judgmental.

Joe

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I do not have the padlocked car so that is an issue I don't have to deal with...I hope.

I have looked under the dash and no hacks and everything looks as fresh as the day it rolled off the assembly line. Car is so clean I only found 1 penny under the spare tire.

Oh the Car is a 2008 SS/NA

Jason, I will start a build log. Since I have not purchased a kit yet, I figured the specific section would be better. If the CANBUS wires do not solve the issue that is the next place I will look as it is loose.

I DO have the CANBUS running through the plug. Two sets actually. One twisted pair with a fat black stripe and one with a thin black stripe on brown. How do you loop them to continue the path? do I just jumper the stripe to stripe and solid to solid? see pics below.
View attachment 19204
View attachment 19205
View attachment 19206
Funny thing is I think I have posted more here in the last week than I have in 10 years on my Lincoln forum. You guys are much less judgmental.

Joe
helpfulness ends where judgementalness starts....... :)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru

Joe
I can’t believe you bought that car, you could have got a better one. :rolleyes:

There. Is that better? :p

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
:D

All in good fun. I’m on some sites that hard to deal with. This one is not like that.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I don’t know the answer to you question, but since the tb is cycling and everything else it turning in, something has to be out of place. I’m busy the next few days, but can bring my tech2 by after work one day this week and we can see who and what is talking.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
IT RUNS!!! I jumpered the striped and the non striped of the CANBUS twisted pair (With Lonny's help) and she fired right up. Had to shut back down as I don't have the tranny lines connected to a cooler but we did it. Thanks all for your help. Now to drive it around to see if anything else needs repair before the disassembly. Looks like Lonny will get another order soon.

Joe

Joebob

Goblin Guru
:D

All in good fun. I’m on some sites that hard to deal with. This one is not like that.
Oh don't worry, I have a thick skin and like to trash talk. I am only mad at you as I wanted to do a yellow on black color scheme and since I am sure we will ride together, I don't want to be your twinkie twin. Wife thought grabber blue like Goonzquad was too childish. Oh well, there are worse problems in the world I guess.

Joe

Ross

Goblin Guru
Oh don't worry, I have a thick skin and like to trash talk. I am only mad at you as I wanted to do a yellow on black color scheme and since I am sure we will ride together, I don't want to be your twinkie twin. Wife thought grabber blue like Goonzquad was too childish. Oh well, there are worse problems in the world I guess.

Joe
I think a doppelganger car would be beneficial... in court.
Many bikers have proven this.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru

Joe
Can’t have 3 in the area. 2 is already too many. ToxicBill in spring also has a yellow frame, but not sure on body color yet.

When I was picking my colors, I looked through just about every goblin that was finished and trying to not match anyone.

I am the only one without a wing though. :p