Donor subframe drop (video 3)

Friedhouse

I am having a difficult time with releasing the steering shaft at the end of video 3 of the donor breakdown. "Hammer a screw driver into the steering knuckle split until the subframe drops" Anyone have some special knowledge for an easier way to get the shaft to release? Hammered it with a screw driver until I said "screw this" already.

Attachments

TravMac

You might need to spray that joint with a lot of penetrating oil and let it sit for a while. I had the same issue with a sized up I-shaft that didn't telescope into the vehicle while I pried on the stuck connection at the steering gear. A little corrosion can be a pain...

D&dgoblin69

I bent a thick washer and use pliers to push into shaft slot spreading just enough to slide apart. Also use your Herman skills pulling it apart is tight don’t give up.

Scott #321

Corrosion is an ugly companion with some donors. As mentioned some penetrating oil and time can work wonders.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I am having a difficult time with releasing the steering shaft at the end of video 3 of the donor breakdown. "Hammer a screw driver into the steering knuckle split until the subframe drops" Anyone have some special knowledge for an easier way to get the shaft to release? Hammered it with a screw driver until I said "screw this" already.
If it doesn't come with penetrating oil and heat, saw-zall it off and buy another one. Like Ross mentioned, they are cheap.