Donor subframe removal help. (video 3)

Friedhouse

I am having a difficult time with releasing the steering shaft at the end of video 3 of the donor breakdown. "Hammer a screw driver into the steering knuckle split until the subframe drops" Anyone have some special knowledge for an easier way to get the shaft to release? Hammered it with a screw driver until I said "screw this" already.

Attachments

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Lots of penetrating oil to start, but otherwise use a large flat head or a pry bar and twist inside to open it as much as possible while hitting down on the subframe (assuming you've removed all of those bolts already). Make sure you don't have the jack lifting from the bottom side at the same time otherwise it wont drop out of the shaft. I forgot this part and was hitting it for an hour trying to break it loose :rolleyes:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using a thick enough wedge to open up the steering universal joint?

Try dropping the subframe enough that it is pulling on the steering shaft. This is especially important if your steering shaft is seized up.

Try freeing it from the power steering unit inside the car first then try to slide it off.

You may be able to free it from the power steering unit inside the car and let slide through the firewall as you drop the engine.
NOTE; I have never done it this way.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
You may be able to free it from the power steering unit inside the car and let slide through the firewall as you drop the engine.
NOTE; I have never done it this way.
This is how mine came out. Just have to use a little extra care when guiding the subframe down.

Edit: If I may make a suggestion, it's a little easier to get faster and better answers when you're posting progress in your own build thread. It's proved helpful for me to be able to look back at pictures and thoughts that I've posted and to refer others to my build thread. It also helps set a context for where you're at with your build and what you're going through. Just my two cents ;)

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I, on the other hand, will check the individual posted question first when catching up on post and only read random build threads when I'm bored.