Dragon Motorsports 2.0 [Extended\Open-Frame\Easy Entry Door Bars] - [2007 LSJ SS Donor] - [Frame #392]

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Got word from Kimberly that my frame has made it through the welding process.

Time to start the tear down :)

Purchased a canopy to help keep the Florida sun off me.

Not following along with the standard sequence of the typical tear down, right now still need to be able to move the car around.

Started with the front bumper, headlights, and fenders.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
A liiittttlllleeee water okay, but hydraulic locking an engine by sucking in water is never good, leads to lots of broken parts. Been there, done that with a YJ Jeep that blew out the cylinder wall while stream crossing. It was a long 6 mile walk back to the road. :eek: That intake is less than a foot above the pavement, and driving in any flooding (not that there is ever any flooding in Florida :oops:) makes me leary of how the car was treated. Guessing the previous owner saw the K&N slogan of Million Mile filter and decided it never needed cleaning. o_O

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Other than the 4 hour ride home from Tampa a few months ago haven’t driven it much but she ran really strong and smooth. Guess once I get her out I’ll give her a throughly look inside.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Started checking out wheels and found these but as always with wheels I like they are on backorder, so I paid the $300 to lock in the order, its no issue if they take months since I don’t even have the frame yet. They only come in 18x8.5

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jareth, the BFG Comp A/S tires are very hard compound, with a 400 TW. Many others on the forum have made comments about using hard compound tires and how dangerous they can be on a Goblin, even under normal driving conditions. Are you choosing these tires for a reason? Just want to be sure you stay safe and buying 200 TW (or less) tires is one of those important things to communicate to a fellow family member. ;)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Jareth, the BFG Comp A/S tires are very hard compound, with a 400 TW. Many others on the forum have made comments about using hard compound tires and how dangerous they can be on a Goblin, even under normal driving conditions. Are you choosing these tires for a reason? Just want to be sure you stay safe and buying 200 TW (or less) tires is one of those important things to communicate to a fellow family member. ;)
Yep. That’s what I *had* on mine. At autocross, with no warning, they will slide out from under you and there’s no recovery. This could easily translate to the street. Spend the extra $$ for better tires that when they do give, they will do everything possible to keep you in control.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Fitment industries web site doesn't really work for a Goblin. They want to know your vehicle before they show you any wheels. It won't let you enter a DF Goblin, and won't let me proceed to their products. Ug.

Google is better. Here is a tire option that will help keep your Goblin on the road.

Mahkoi

I bought Falken Azenis R615+. I haven't had the car on the road with them yet to tell you how they handle but they had pretty good reviews for the price they are and they're 200tw. I've seen a few other cars on the forum with the same tires I bought so maybe someone can chime in if they are any good.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Fitment industries web site doesn't really work for a Goblin. They want to know your vehicle before they show you any wheels. It won't let you enter a DF Goblin, and won't let me proceed to their products. Ug.

Google is better. Here is a tire option that will help keep your Goblin on the road.
I’m under the understanding that if they fit a Cobalt that they should fit the Goblin, I entered 2007 Cobalt SS to review what was available?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I have Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's (a 300tw tire) and haven't had any issues with them on the street. Yes, I've pushed them. /shrug

Ross

Goblin Guru
I’m under the understanding that if they fit a Cobalt that they should fit the Goblin, I entered 2007 Cobalt SS to review what was available?

Well yes, they will fit a goblin, but the tires you get back will be designed to fit within the wheel wells of a Cobalt, and for a car that weighs twice what a Goblin does. That is the problem with reading tire reviews... How it performs on a 2X heavier car is useless information for us. @Desert Sasqwatch
has a nice article with good tire selections.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Are Toyo Proxes R888R’s good for regular street and Highway driving or mainly used for Autocross?

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I use the R888R as my street tires, switch over to Hoosier A7 tires for autocross. But you can autocross on the R888R tires... just a little slower tires, and they will last longer.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
I’m not building the car for the track and with the high risk of wet roads here in SWFL it seems like the Michelin’s Pilot Sports 4S may be a good choice for me?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
MPS4S are my go to tire here in Florida for my cars…. But definitely not for my goblin. I will rarely if ever drive the goblin in wet conditions (even post rainfall), so the wet traction provided by the MPS4S isn’t worth it, plus they are a little harder of a compound. I’m using the R888Rs on my goblin and they hook nicely, even with 350+ whp

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Everything I see says R888Rs are Race Track and Autocross Only?

I drive mine almost everyday Street and Highway.