Driver Door Switch

baustin

I'm planning on adding a toggle switch to make the BCM think I opened/closed the drivers door. My question is whether the door switch should be NO or NC?

I'm probably putting in a momentary toggle switch so I could just flip it around if I get it wrong the first time but I figure someone might know.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I agree, Normally Open. My Goblin doesn't warn me about a door open, and that door switch wire isn't connected to anything.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Depend on the model of your donor, that door switch does do something. On the earlier models, I think it just turns on/off the dome lights and may effect the security system. On the newer models it may effect, in addition to the others, the RAP (Retaineed Accessory Power) and keep it on for 15minutes after you turn off the car (because it won't ever see you get out of the car).

baustin

Currently my dash cam is wired on the wiper RAP circuit and I'm going to add my AFR gauge there too. The way the circuits behave I'd like to test to see if this simple toggle switch makes it correctly turn off the car electronics like it did when it was a cobalt. I may be over simplifying it and is so then I won't keep the switch there. Mine is an 06.

Reason I put those electronics on the RAP circuit was because they didn't instantly cut off with the key but only had a limited timespan after to be on. But I'd like to control how long that is by making the car think the door opened/closed when I actually do get out.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I think it's about that simple. The only thing I can think of that you might need to consider is make sure the "door" looks closed first before the car is shut off so it can see it open. A simple resistive-capacitive circuit controlling the output of a relay could keep the "door" closed for a short time after the ignition is turned off and then finally open the door.

baustin

Just following back up on this, I installed the momentary NO switch between C1/22 and ground: works perfect. I can press the toggle at any time and the car thinks the drivers door opened, so when I turn the key off I can bump the switch to power off the dash cam and AFR gauge.

I mounted it on a small aluminum bracket I made that also holds the OBD2 port. Uses the 2 screws for the ignition to mount.