Driving in the rain?

pogy_soup

Can you drive a Goblin in the rain?

I get the seats will get bad if it they not dried well as they are not made to get wet. Also, most goblins probably have summer tires on which would ruin handling.

I am more curious if they will have a major mechanical issue. Will driving in the rain cause electrical issues in the engine? Intake filter problems? etc

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The engine fuse box and the ECM can take limited exposure to water, but I don't think I would try it without at least having an engine cover installed. Beyond that, the BCM is not made to be exposed to water, so as long as that stays dry, you shouldn't have a problem. This isn't a wet-weather car though, as you said!

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Aside from the two points you mentioned, the instrument cluster and the BCM would be the main areas of concern, electrically speaking. If you have a footwell cover and hood, they should be relatively protected. All of the electronics for the engine are designed for some water.

baustin

In the trips I've made, I've been out in the rain a couple times. 1 of the trips was very wet interstate driving for a couple hours, 1 trip was a sudden big downpour for a few minutes, 1 trip was light rain/mist for an hour. I have a footwell cover under the hood, engine cover, windshield. I know I had splashes of water over the dash gauges but not full soaking there, the BCM area stayed nice and dry. I do have the fuse box cover and fully covered my wiring connections with heat shrink and/or waterproof car connectors. My seats are the corbeau racing ones, not the stock Cobalt seats. My air filter is tucked down behind the driver, halfway behind the side panel (if water got in the intake, gravity wouldn't bring it to the throttle body.

So far I haven't had any issues from the rain messing with the car electronics.

Edit: I have summer performance tires that actually have rain grooves, General GMax RS I think is the name.

Last edited:

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I got caught in a super heavy downpour the first couple months after I was on the road. TBH I was more worried about not crashing as you can't see ANYTHING out of the windshield. After that experience I started treating my windscreen with rain-x to at least help the water bead off so you have limited visibility.

Nuker-

baustin

I got caught in a super heavy downpour the first couple months after I was on the road. TBH I was more worried about not crashing as you can't see ANYTHING out of the windshield. After that experience I started treating my windscreen with rain-x to at least help the water bead off so you have limited visibility.

Nuker-
I also have rain-x on my windshield, I use the one made for plastics like boat windshields and motorcycle helmet visors. I actually made use of my little manual wiper last time when it was light rain/mist for an hour to further clear it up when the wind wasn't doing it as much.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I got caught in a monsoon last year while out for lunch. Rained several inches over 30 minutes. Floor had standing water in it. Seats are sparco R100 sky (leather), they were fine. Everything was soaked, car took an extra few cranks to start. Once it was running it did not want to idle correctly for the first 3 minutes or so. Gauges were all over the place, headlights were going on and off randomly. No permanent damage though.

I do find rain doesn't run off the helmet visor like it does while riding a sport bike in the rain.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The only thing worse than getting caught in the rain, is cleaning the goblin afterwards. :mad:Every nook and cranny has to be cleaned. Probably my least favorite thing about the goblin. :(