Dsteinhorst's WI city build 09 2.2 #182 MT Registered Now with boost

Dsteinhorst

Hello, everyone. Just want to introduce myself. I just put in my order, chassis #182.

I've been following the Goblin for about 18 months and finally pulled the trigger. What sparked my interest was the Caterham Super Seven. After research, the Goblin seemed like the most attainable kit car around. My donor is a maroon 2009 G5 base model. I drove it from Detroit to Wisconsin, and it ran great, but has worn control arm bushings.

My wife and I built a house over the fall, so I'm still getting my garage in project shape. I'll be updating this post periodically, but won't be able to do a thorough build log like others have.

Quick question for everyone. I'm doing a naked budget build for now, and my donor is in need of some maintenance parts. Has anyone ordered a kit like this?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12pc-Front-Struts-Lower-Control-Arm-Hub-Bearing-Kit-for-Chevy-Cobalt-Pursuit-G5/174123103961

Cheap parts, but I imagine they would work great for a car half the weight they were designed for. Still deciding where to invest the money and where to skimp.
20190726_182550.jpg
Thanks,
Dustin

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Greetings - hey der! Welcome to the forum. The eBay kit would work well for a base model build. It contains all the parts that you would need for the rear suspension on the Goblin - and they are all new parts! Good start to your build, the donor looks to be in pretty good shape. You should be able to recoup some of your cost by selling all of the good body parts, interior parts, etc. Don't forget to LABEL EVERYTHING as you disassemble the donor, keep all of the brake lines, clips, etc. and keep the entire parking brake system. Where are you at in Wisconsin?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Welcome! There is a lot of parts in that suspension kit. If you want to keep it a budget build, just replace the necessary parts. Maybe later you will be able to afford adjustable shocks and 3" coil overs instead of the stock 5" springs that overhang the tires.
Most of the worn donors need the control arm bushing replaced, and this MOOG part isn't as cheap as the stock rubber part, but it is a solid heim joint that works much better, as it doesn't change the rear toe-in under acceleration.
Control Arm Bushing MOOG K201285$67.56

I did a budget naked build, if you want ideas to do and avoid doing.

Dsteinhorst

Thanks for the responses. I'm in Baraboo, just south of the large tourist town Wisconsin Dells.

I paid $850 for the donor with 96k miles. Bit high for a base donor, but it was exactly what I wanted and it made a 750 mile drive. I'll be reusing everything like seats and steering wheel. Hoping to sell some body parts, but this color seems rare. It is surprisingly not too rusty for spending a decade in Detroit.

Thanks for the log link, Ross. I've stumbled through it while lurking, but never read the whole thing until now.

Hoping to complete my build in a year. I'm the maintenance manager at a Plastics processor in town, and I dont want to give up too much time with my wife and daughter, so it will be a juggle.

I have a Focus ST that I daily and my wife has a basic Fiesta that we started autocrossing last year. Looking forward to a dedicated fun car.

gofast

Dustin,
I'm getting chassis #181; full cage, extended. I'm located in Hixton, WI. Chassis #180 is going to Wisconsin. So that's #180, #181 and #182 Wisconsin bound. My donor is a 2009 SS. The engine is blown, (as in trashed, not supercharged) and I already have a new crate engine.
Steve

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Dustin,
I'm getting chassis #181; full cage, extended. I'm located in Hixton, WI. Chassis #180 is going to Wisconsin. So that's #180, #181 and #182 Wisconsin bound. My donor is a 2009 SS. The engine is blown, (as in trashed, not supercharged) and I already have a new crate engine.
Steve
Welcome to the group. Talk to Adam and see if they can arrange or help arrange a big shipment. We did 4 chassis at once. with some creative crating from DF
I paid $850 for the donor with 96k miles. Bit high for a base donor, but it was exactly what I wanted and it made a 750 mile drive. I'll be reusing everything like seats and steering wheel. Hoping to sell some body parts, but this color seems rare. It is surprisingly not too rusty for spending a decade in Detroit.
You will get a steering wheel with the kit

gofast

Adam has already contacted me about that. However, I'm looking forward to making the trip to Red Oak to pick up my kit and visit with Lonny and Adam. To me, that is an important part of the build experience.

lksohm

Agreed! I'm so glad I went to see where and how the kits are made. More importantly meeting the DF team in person. I learned more in the few hours there than I could in hours of research online. It is very motivating.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Flambeau or one of the other half dozen plastics companies in Baraboo? Seems like that area has collected many of them over the past years. Not being in Dane County you should not have too much problem getting your car registered and on the road. Great that you got the donor you were looking for and you should not have too much problem selling donor parts with Madison and Milwaukee being as close as they are. Best advice, don't get rid of anything until you are sure it is not needed from the driveline, brakes, and electrical. Having other builders nearby will also be a great help in case you get stuck or need help.

Dsteinhorst

Just a bit of an update. Still have not started stripping the donor. When I do, I have to give up my garage spot and park outside. Besides that, I lost one of my maintenance guys and business has been crazy.

I just paid the final balance on my kit and a local wisconsinite is bringing it back for me for a fair fee. I'm very lucky that the timing worked out for this option, because the trip would cost me quite a bit since I don't have access to a truck.

I've started gathering some new parts including clutch and suspension components. I built a workbench in my garage and brought one of my tool boxes from work with my auto tools. I purchased an M12 cordless impact for this project to speed along the disassembly.

I miscalculated my taxes last year and ended up with a larger refund than I thought, so I added nosecone, windshield, and coil overs to my kit. I'm excited to have a more balanced suspension setup, and I love the look of a Goblin with the hood.

Pending arrival of my kit in early March, I should have the frame back from powder a week later. Then the fun begins.

Sasqwatch, I work at Teel Plastics. You seem to be quite familiar with the area! My Dad just retired from the DMV, so he has some contacts that will help me streamline the registration.

Dsteinhorst

Few updates. Things are moving fast.
Donor is fully stripped and in my driveway waiting to be dragged away.
Engine harness is thinned and taped.
Body harness is thinned and part way organized.
I have lots of cleanup to do.
Chassis is at powder coating.
I did not anticipate having an XFE donor with CARB emissions seeing as it's a G5, but it's all good.

Attachments

Dsteinhorst

I was super lucky to work out the shipping arrangement. Steve was very kind to help me out and it was nice to chat with another builder.

Harness is complete to the end of the newest video. It went great so far despite the differences between the video turbo harness and my N/A. I could probably finish on my own, but I'll hold out until the next video is released.

The labels I used are little white cardstock on a string. Cheap on ebay. Used almost 160 total.20200312_180709.jpg

I decided to rebuild my calipers so I can sandblast and get a good coat of paint on them. I scrubbed the motor, but I won't do too much more to clean it up. I blasted my knuckles and they look great. Threw the new clutch on. Axles, control arms, brakes, bearing hubs and several other new parts are here.

Today is a big day!
20200326_185549.jpg

Assembly begins this weekend. Few pics for everyone:
20200324_165443.jpg

20200322_200551.jpg
20200319_153803.jpg
20200318_182910.jpg
20200312_194732.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Dustin, great work! And WOW your frame is incredible! It really pops and will surely be one of kind. BTW, where do you get the Devil's Lake State Park sign...or should I not ask. Was a favorite of mine for rock climbing and rappelling when I was much younger.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
You have one heck of a start!!!!!
Takes a REAL man do do some pink like that!
That clutch plate is looking like it is begging for some road time.
The parts are looking great.
And the piece of fuel line for the straw is just rocking! ;)

benjy

That pink is rad. A crazy 80’s black and neon pattern on the nose cone would be amazing

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm sure a lot of people are thinking you're crazy, but I think that frame color is awesome. If I would have gone with that color, I'd have done a lime green zebra stripe theme.

I know you're just getting started and a wrap is the least of your worries now, but I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Dsteinhorst

Thanks for the support, guys. I knew this color would be polarizing. I'll shoot a picture of the hood when I get it back from wrap.

Fortunately, my story about the Lake sign is innocent. I had a cousin that worked at the concessions in the 90s and I got it from her. The stop sign on the other hand...

Had a hard day today. Hopefully I can save people some screwing around. I spent 6 hours today without getting the hoses through the frame and I'm covered in a slippery liquid that smells like stripper pee.

Don't even try to pull the hoses through yourself. Go get a boat winch and some fiberglass pull tape. Your back will thank you. I should have done this when I woke up this morning.
20200328_162648.jpg

This is a manual version ripoff of what DF sells. I unabashedly stole the idea.

As far as preventing the hose from breaking, I can't help you there yet. I've lost count of how many times I broke it. Tomorrow I'm going to crank the garage heater to get everything warm. I'll have to run down more hose for the second side.

Wish me luck. Today sucked.