Dual headlights low and high beam

Robf

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have in total 4 headlights. Two inside are high and two outside are low beams. I'm wanting to connect it to the harness wires and when the high beams are activated I want all 4 lights on. When low beams are on I want just the two outside lights on.

I'm not the greatest when it comes to electrical as to why I had DF do my harness. I was thinking of adding a diode on a white Y that leads to the low beam as you can see in the pics. Would this work or is there an easier way?

White=high
Yellow= low
Black=ground
Brown= not used

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
That diode should do the job. Bench test it first, and you will know which way to put the diode in. I think the band on the diode should face the low beam light bulb.

Robf

That diode should do the job. Bench test it first, and you will know which way to put the diode in. I think the band on the diode should face the low beam light bulb.
Would I need a diode on the low beam too so current doesn't flow back to the low beam side of the turn signal switch?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Would I need a diode on the low beam too so current doesn't flow back to the low beam side of the turn signal switch?
So you only need the 1 diode. It will allow power(12V+) to flow from the high beam over to the low beam, but not from the low beam back to the high beam. Turn signals are a different circuit, independant from the head lights.
$2 worth of a diode, and you should be good.

Floyd

When I was putting in a diode on the intercooler fan, I actually printed a diagram and laid it next to me.
I kept getting anxious I would put it in backwards.
You may already have some diodes, but if not, I ended up buying the same diode on amazon that others have suggested. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NS63XJH

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Easy thing to remember, the current flows in the direction of the arrow - for those non-electrically oriented. Whatever you want to be powered is connected to the cathode side of the diode (-) and the power source is on the anode side (+). Current will not flow backwards against the arrow. So high beam power is (+) and the low beam connection is (-). Hope this is helpful for anyone confused by electronics. :)

Robf

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have in total 4 headlights. Two inside are high and two outside are low beams. I'm wanting to connect it to the harness wires and when the high beams are activated I want all 4 lights on. When low beams are on I want just the two outside lights on.

I'm not the greatest when it comes to electrical as to why I had DF do my harness. I was thinking of adding a diode on a white Y that leads to the low beam as you can see in the pics. Would this work or is there an easier way?

White=high
Yellow= low
Black=ground
Brown= not used
A little update for anyone in the future doing dual headlights that are 2 wire. I added a diode in on the passenger side headlight assembly as the previous diagram shows and it works! I only needed the one on the passenger side.

Attachments

Cnixon160

@Robf if your looking for the actual best way here it is, this diode sends the high beam trigger to both the high and low PCB relays keeping all four lights on their original factory fused circuits, the picture is an 08+ box but I can source and modify a pre 08 box if there's a demand

Attachments