Dummy lights tuned out?

Nilbog

Working through thinning out the harness right now from the donor. Realizing how many wires/sensors are being pulled from the harness and wondering how these will or will not light up the cluster in the goblin. Are most sensors (door, seat, etc) that have their own individual indicators (Door open, trunk open, etc) tuned out through HPtuners or are they normally open so when the sensor and wiring are cut out it wont realize they arent there anymore? Anything i should be shorting/jumpering while thinning the harness so i dont have unnecessary dummy lights?

Thanks

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Unfortunately most of the idiot lights can't be eliminated by shorting things together. Ctuinstra has a diagram on traces you can cut on the gauge cluster circuit board to disable the lights. Or you can take the board out and put electrical tape directly over the lights. This is just me, but I don't like the idea of cutting traces. Tape is much, much easier and reversible. Not that you'd really need to go back anyways.

DanPerryy

I took the faceplate of clear plastic off my dash an put some black electrical tape over the lights that were not applicable. Put the faceplate back on and wo-la - the lights were OFF!!! (and you cant see the tape!!!)

Reactions: Dre

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I did that too, Dan. But I found one problem. The piece of tape over my tire light fell off after a few miles. I've been too lazy to take it all apart and fix it. Ctuinstra's idea of cutting traces would fix that problem for me. :)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I need to add one more for the BRAKE light. I didn’t realize at the time that because of lack of communication with a now extinct brake controller, it would be on all the time.

I have turn the MIL back on since I remove the offending codes.

Wes

I was talking to friend earlier about this, he said he was able to "satisfy" his ecu(subaru wrx donor on another project, completely different I know, but..) by installing some resistors across certain wires and make annoying lights go out.

I was able to get rid of the auto lights on crap by installing an 800 ohm resistor across sensor plug, a little trial and error but finally found something that worked.

Maybe something similar will work here. Anyone have any info on what wires are involved for which circuits? I'd love to try and make them go away...

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was talking to friend earlier about this, he said he was able to "satisfy" his ecu(subaru wrx donor on another project, completely different I know, but..) by installing some resistors across certain wires and make annoying lights go out.

I was able to get rid of the auto lights on crap by installing an 800 ohm resistor across sensor plug, a little trial and error but finally found something that worked.

Maybe something similar will work here. Anyone have any info on what wires are involved for which circuits? I'd love to try and make them go away...
I'm afraid some of it isn't quite that simple. Such as the airbag, it would need to see some communication and the same with the brake indicator. Check my build for the traces to cut on the back of the dash. It's quite easy to get to and easier than adding resistor to found wires.