ECM tan/black & tan High speed GMLAN wires question.

wallace58

On my 2007 Cobalt SS SC donor harness I have a pair of comm wires from the ECM plug pins 1 and 2. Where do these tie into the other ones of the dash harness. I do not have the same stuff as in the video. My boost gauge is an early style. I see the com wires for the OBD2 port and EPS connector they all go to the BCM. I am not seeing how the comm wires from the ecu tie into these. I have exhausted all my wiring diagrams and posted pinout photos. Any help would be great. Maybe I am being dense or something, LOL. :oops:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Your should look similar to this minus the TCM.
or

The important part is for every part that you leave to connect together in a chain with the DLC/EPS on one end and the ECM on the other. The components with the 120 ohm resistor should be on each end.

I think the high speed GMLAN wires makes some color changes on the older models as it moves between modules.

wallace58

So do I tie the tan/black wires at the BCM from the EPS to the C1 wires from the ECM? I would think the C1 ECM wires would go to some pins on one of the BCM connectors of the main harness to BCM. Or am incorrect.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You will have to post some diagrams of the stock system. I don't know the older model diagrams or connector call outs. But no. there should be additional data wires coming from the BCM besides the ones for the EPS.

Ross

Goblin Guru
So do I tie the tan/black wires at the BCM from the EPS to the C1 wires from the ECM? I would think the C1 ECM wires would go to some pins on one of the BCM connectors of the main harness to BCM. Or am incorrect.
The data flows between the BCM and the EPS on one set of brown wires.
Power Steering, C2, pin 4brown/white stripHigh speed GMLAN serial data +Goes to BCM, J2, pin 1 (J2/C2 is the white & blue vertical connector closest to the center tunnel)
Power Steering, C2, pin 5brownHigh speed GMLAN serial data -Goes to BCM, J2/C2, pin 19

The data flows between the BCM and the PCM(GM's name for the ECM) on a different set of tan wires.
BCM, J2/C2, pin 2tan/black stripHigh speed GMLAN serial data +Goes to PCM, C1, pin 1 (C1 is the blue connector on the PCM)
BCM, J2/C2, pin 20tanHigh speed GMLAN serial data -Goes to PCM, C1, pin 2

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
.....the PCM(GM's name for the ECM) ....
Actually PCM is one of GM's older designation used in the earlier models. Later models use ECM, and it would surprise me if they haven't changed it again since the latest service manual I have which is 2010.

wallace58

Got it! The tan/black and tan wires going to dash harness plug that goes to main harness is J plug. I cut them from J plug and solder to PCM C1 pin 1 and 2 wires that are same color. Thanks.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
That sounds about right. During the reconnection phase of the videos I remember only having to extend and connect the brn/blk data wires once.